The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Support the team

Rate this topic

cuporbust

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

I support the things that deserve support. Good, consistent efforts will always get my support. 

It's why I rarely talk negatively of guys like Hoglander or Motte or Garland or OEL. It's not because they're otherworldly players, but they put in the effort to help drive the bus. They all have extended leashes. 

I cannot support the coaching staff. It's honestly just such low IQ coaching that I couldn't be bothered. I've been saying it way before this team sucked that the coaching was very poor and that this team was always better than what they have showcased. When it takes you 18 games (nearly a quarter of the season) to make an adjustment to a powerplay that deserves to get crapped on repeatedly. When you constantly see the same mistakes over and over and over again with no desire to change, that deserves booing. 

I don't even crap on Petey because you can see he's trying to put the pieces back together. His execution is absolutely horrific but the kid is still trying at least. Meanwhile you have plenty of other guys taking nights off or a captain of the team that never pulls the team into a fight or the top talent not trying to drive the bus when they have shown in previous seasons they easily can, it's mind-boggling and in my opinion doesn't deserve praise. 

The Canucks have always had the identity of being the hard-working team and the fans have always rewarded the hard workers, despite their talent level. Tossing that away to make these millionaires feel better about themselves for putting in a lackluster effort doesn't jive with me. Why don't we ever hear on the radio about guys spending extra time at the end of practices to hone in on their games? Is that covid? I've heard it about the rookies on the team, why aren't the vets doing it? 

Literally just heard this about Demko prior to last game and there was another player putting in extra time on their game too.

I think as a fan, we sure do feel invested but we overstep what we think we know, how it is supposed to be and on the flip side it gets eye rolling real fast when all these keyboard warriors try to talk above NHL people in terms of coaching, GM'ing and a lot of the off ice stuff, even systems play to a degree. I think many of us over qualify ourselves here and talk like we know more than we actually do here. Good example is coaching, literally the same coach for years and has had good moments, poor moments, winning and losing streaks and people catch a narrative and run with it, like suddenly Green can't coach or is very poor at it.

I go back to being a fan, yes we can scratch our heads when Podkolzin gets scratched or how some lines are deployed but end of the day this is decisions being made by people in very high roles at the highest level of hockey there is and most of us, well we are fans. So I support the club every game, a Canucks fan. I trust people in the industry and with decades long careers in it will do what is needed. Now this is not being blind to things that make you wonder, its just simplifying and understanding you don't control the executive level of things, maybe just enjoy the game, cheer on your team during the good times, bring out the boo's when its called for. 

• Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, GB5 said:

When it's game time I will always cheer on the Canucks.

Other than that I think it is fair to express my concerns in the appropriate forum, albeit I agree there should be boundaries against personal attacks on staff and players.

Yup; from Aquaman to the players - they are not babies, although, some MIGHT BE IMMATURE.  Sure there are some annoying extremes on all fanbased but it is STILL the fans that will ultimately, helped improve the team and not the media schill.   Good chance, the team looks at the forums to get a feel for where the fanbased are; and having a lectury wishy washy approach, will only foster further mediocrity - and the on ice product confirms that the team needs to look at there leadership (including the staff).  

Ultimately, we can whine or be enablers - this is Aquamans team and he will run it as he pleases; but the fans are, who is paying for his expensive toy.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

Hey guys. I have a novel idea. How about instead of being part of the negativity,  Canucks fans show support? You don't have to accept mediocrity to support where the team has ended up this year to be a positive influence on a dissapointing situation.  I honestly believe they have the talent to be better , but for whatever reason , havnt put it together yet.

Coaching ? Management? Locker room issues?  Who knows what's ( or who) is to blame . All I'm suggesting Is we try and make the environment less toxic , and help motivate the team we have at the moment. Pretty sure they are all aware they have been bad , so saying that 100 different negative ways each game is starting to get exhausting to read . 

You don't have to support the coach or management to support the team , regardless of our dissapointment.  Who knows,  maybe a little support from fans makes it a little easier for the players to get back on track. 

Just a thought ;)

Just want to say your posts over the past 12 hours have been really great, inclusive, and infectious in a welcoming, positive manner. Sounds cliche but they've been a breath of fresh air in here amid so much toxicity.

Thank you. 

I agree with you 100%.

It's funny ... I remember a long time poster from a few years ago made a big farewell post, saying it finally donned on him that there was (and is) a relationship/correlation between fans and the team and the culture of losing ... how fans are so toxic and negative rather than being supportive and a positive influence. ... that we don't see how fans - in some ways - are contributing to negative results and culture through their own behavior.

Of course he got eaten alive by other posters but I never forgot that post, because I think he was right. 

Your quote is bang on ... "You don't have to accept mediocrity to support where the team has ended up this year to be a positive influence on a dissapointing situation."

Also ...

"You don't have to support the coach or management to support the team , regardless of our dissapointment.  Who knows,  maybe a little support from fans makes it a little easier for the players to get back on track."

Support is infectious just like positivity is infectious... just like toxicity and negativity are infectious. You can be critical without being chronically negative and toxic. 

This environment has been extremely toxic and unhealthy. And in many ways on this board, negativity promotes negativity because it gives people more engagement.  Negativity is also a way to be popular on here.

Life is difficult enough than coming in here and reading so much toxicity... it's not healthy.

• Like 3

Remember when some millionaires who were bad at their jobs tried to convince the public that it is really their fault?

… and those folks in the public that actually believed it spent their time pretending to be positive by making really negative online posts blaming and gaslighting other people for the bad attitudes and performance of those millionaires?

Man those people were as toxic AF.

Edited by Provost

31 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Just want to say your posts over the past 12 hours have been really great, inclusive, and infectious in a welcoming, positive manner. Sounds cliche but they've been a breath of fresh air in here amid so much toxicity.

Thank you. 

I agree with you 100%.

It's funny ... I remember a long time poster from a few years ago made a big farewell post, saying it finally donned on him that there was (and is) a relationship/correlation between fans and the team and the culture of losing ... how fans are so toxic and negative rather than being supportive and a positive influence. ... that we don't see how fans - in some ways - are contributing to negative results and culture through their own behavior.

Of course he got eaten alive by other posters but I never forgot that post, because I think he was right. 

Your quote is bang on ... "You don't have to accept mediocrity to support where the team has ended up this year to be a positive influence on a dissapointing situation."

Also ...

"You don't have to support the coach or management to support the team , regardless of our dissapointment.  Who knows,  maybe a little support from fans makes it a little easier for the players to get back on track."

Support is infectious just like positivity is infectious... just like toxicity and negativity are infectious. You can be critical without being chronically negative and toxic. 

This environment has been extremely toxic and unhealthy. And in many ways on this board, negativity promotes negativity because it gives people more engagement.  Negativity is also a way to be popular on here.

Life is difficult enough than coming in here and reading so much toxicity... it's not healthy.

100 % . Human struggles benefit from a supportive environment.  Also, the attitudes we have in this somewhat anonymous place will seep into other areas of real life without people even nessesarily noticing it .  The attitudes I have in "secret" bring me down to a degree in real life . It's not healthy as a sports fan , and it's not healthy as a human IMO.

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Thank you. 

I agree with you 100%.

Also ...

I agree with the sentiment but we shouldn't forget the toxic positivity here as well. I've seen posters come in with well thought out criticisms and concerns and they get piled on as delusional, chicken Littles, leafs lovers, not 'true' fans. Some posts even violate the board rules of trolling etc..but never get called out by the mods. I'll admit I've been called that plenty as a critic of the regime. Even when I do state we have the same goals, to win a cup. 

Like you said. You can support the team but still be critical. Doesn't mean we want the players to fail. I hope petey scores a Hatty each game. I said more than once I want Benning to prove me wrong. But I'm just not seeing it.

Anyway point is, the cleanup of toxicity has to come from both ends of the aisle.

Apologies if any of my posts seem 'toxic' but it is polarizing when you get told to stuff it during the "rebuild" years and that the team is just fine and now be told to play nice cause you might hurt feelings

Edited by DSVII

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Supporting the team is subjective and could mean a lot of things.

It could mean:

• Spending money and attending every home game
  • Watching all 82 games, win or lose
  • Spending money on merchandise
  • Hoping for a change for the better

Whatever it is; the destination is the same, which is winning the Stanley Cup.

Exactly, support varies.

One can "support the team" and still be critical of it, skeptical even. "Support" doesn't equate to blind hope or to being a homer. And realistically, us discussing this or that on CDC isn't going to impact $&!#. 

Some of us are inclined to be homers, to have more hope, others need more convincing. There's always going to be a portion of the fanbase that needs to see improvement and results before they're inclined to invest more, and there's nothing wrong or cancerous about it. Last night was great, it's nice to get a win for once, but one win doesn't change what's occurred the rest of the season or change the results we've been getting on the ice prior to said win. 

Having criticisms, voicing concerns, being upset, or engaging in activity that might be deemed "negative" doesn't make one a bad fan. A lot of those things are valid, and pointing fingers doesn't get anyone anywhere. Not that you're pointing fingers.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Two of my favourite posters on this site are Alf and Debluvcscanucks.   Both passionate fans that have for the most part, avoided the negativity, and often if they do, approach it with either humour or compassion.   We can all aspire to make this a better place to visit. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Imo, it is all about sending a message - more so for the next meeting (especially, in the playoffs).  One of the things, I've noticed about the competitive teams are they stick up for each and it doesn't matter who; but it would be nice for Bo to send some message to his teammates (when he is on the ice) that he has there back.

but did we not send a message last night? Didn't you notice how pissed off a number of the WPG players were? we were getting under their skin pretty nicely, and we took 2 points from them.

Edited by JM_
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Just my take on the locker room or captaincy, from an outsiders POV.  Iam not questioning, his ability or what he offers as a player.

Players don't follow players like miller.  He might drag them into the fight, but they don't follow willingly.  He's not a leader you win with

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Exactly, support varies.

One can "support the team" and still be critical of it, skeptical even. "Support" doesn't equate to blind hope or to being a homer. And realistically, us discussing this or that on CDC isn't going to impact $&!#. 

Some of us are inclined to be homers, to have more hope, others need more convincing. There's always going to be a portion of the fanbase that needs to see improvement and results before they're inclined to invest more, and there's nothing wrong or cancerous about it. Last night was great, it's nice to get a win for once, but one win doesn't change what's occurred the rest of the season or change the results we've been getting on the ice prior to said win. 

Having criticisms, voicing concerns, being upset, or engaging in activity that might be deemed "negative" doesn't make one a bad fan. A lot of those things are valid, and pointing fingers doesn't get anyone anywhere. Not that you're pointing fingers.

I don't think anyone is saying don't be critical, but there's a certain element here (and media) that take it far beyond that and just want to see stuff burn.  They complain when they lose, they complain when they win.  They moan about Green, Benning etc and if there's a change they'll moan about the replacements.  They are just toxic people and I'd love to see the mods........moderate a little better so we can all enjoy talking hockey here

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Players don't follow players like miller.  He might drag them into the fight, but they don't follow willingly.  He's not a leader you win with

He is exactly the type of personality that would inspire me on a team.

Leads by example. Type of guy you go to war with and you dont have to check to see if he is giving 100%

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

He is exactly the type of personality that would inspire me on a team.

Leads by example. Type of guy you go to war with and you dont have to check to see if he is giving 100%

its actually OK to have different types of leadership in a room, as long as the personalities aren't getting in each others way.

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think anyone is saying don't be critical, but there's a certain element here (and media) that take it far beyond that and just want to see stuff burn.  They complain when they lose, they complain when they win.  They moan about Green, Benning etc and if there's a change they'll moan about the replacements.  They are just toxic people and I'd love to see the mods........moderate a little better so we can all enjoy talking hockey here

Negativity has always sold in this market unfortunately. Wins sell tickets, losses sell papers, or get clicks I suppose. 

But yes, there are always going to be those who complain regardless of what occurs. But at the same time, I'm not sure "moderating" is a solution as there's a difference between complaining and trolling. 

Just now, JM_ said:

its actually OK to have different types of leadership in a room, as long as the personalities aren't getting in each others way.

100%.

I played sports since a young kid. Softball, baseball, tennis, rugby, lacrosse, volleyball, boxing, basketball...completed in Karate till I was 35. Also was a pro drummer. I have had to get along with team and band mates and am proud to have had some solid success. 

Team sports or martial arts, I was always motivated by those that gave their all and lead by example. the more communicative and passionate the better.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Negativity has always sold in this market unfortunately. Wins sell tickets, losses sell papers, or get clicks I suppose. 

But yes, there are always going to be those who complain regardless of what occurs. But at the same time, I'm not sure "moderating" is a solution as there's a difference between complaining and trolling. 

Well, sometimes it only takes a few to combat that. I've been negative as hell before as well, so ya , I agree. 

Of coarse there is truth in the saying  " if it isn't me , it will be somebody else" . I'm just saying , at least that somebody else doesn't have to be me . Lol. 

Players have said , " it's the best market when ur winning,   and the worst when ur not" .  

That reflects our passion,  but also creates a much harder environment to win a cup in if a team starts having issues. 

Does our market have to be toxic? Nope . Does that possibly add to our 50 years without a cup ? Yep. 

Edited by cuporbust