The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Support the team

Rate this topic

cuporbust

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

It’s a random thought I’ve had but maybe Miller’s constantly pissy attitude is dragging Pettersson down. 

As a player / coach I can’t stand that outward body language. I don’t see it as tough or inspiring - instead I take it as rather sulky and pathetic. 

There’s a difference between Markstrom breaking his stick after a tough loss and the way Miller mopes around when he’s off. 

With all that said, Miller is one of the only stars who is actually producing at his level.. so wearing his emotions out there like that is obviously working for him.  Green is also giving him all the ice he can handle, too so there’s that.  I can’t see it helping team morale though. 

They are pros.

Petey will get his sh*t together but I wouldn't blame his performance on another teammate. Regardless of how much that teammate curses and slams things. 

Glad the sulky pathetic dude is producing so much too. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

43 years of being in dressing rooms, 15 years of being an educator.  Managing personalities is what I do and what I've always done.  You don't follow guys who scream obscenities on the ice and slam their sticks and doors in frustration.  That's not leading.........not saying it doesn't have it's place and can't inspire on occasion, but those types of personalities become tiresome and usually toxic after awhile 

Thats your experience and it still doesn't make you an expert on this issue - imo cause you don't know these players personally (or do you ?). Sure, there can be similarities but it still matters what, is the make up of each locker room cause the on ice product, is showing a divided locker room.  As for Miller, I can only comment from a far; and the Canucks seems to be in agreement with you, that he needs to go (based on the rumours) - lets see how that affects the locker room ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Thats your experience and it still doesn't make you an expert on this issue - imo cause you don't know these players personally (or do you ?). Sure, there can be similarities but it still matters what, is the make up of each locker room cause (you can probably, provide some context, as to why ?) the on ice product, is showing a divided locker room.  As for Miller, I can only comment from a far; and the teams seems to be in agreement with you, that he needs to go - lets see how that affects the locker room ?

I am trained to be and would consider myself an expert at managing personalities, yes.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Messier was even keeled on the ice and kept his emotions in check, that's what made him a great leader.  When did anyone say you shouldn't be emotional.........good leaders control those emotions and know how to harness and use that energy.

Not always:  he could be a total punk.  I remember one time during his early years in Edmonton when he took a faceoff and instead of winning the draw just yanked his blade up into the face of our centreman cutting him wide open.  And then he laughed.  Maybe he didn't do it out of emotion or maybe he did it because he could get away with that against our terrible teams in the 80s, but no matter how you slice it, that's sick puppy stuff.  For me, the guy was always a psychopath, not a leader, but I realize that's a minority opinion in the hockey world. 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I am trained to be and would consider myself an expert at managing personalities, yes.

I was the director of a group of companies for 10 years.

We did 13mil in sales per year and grew more than 5% per.

That said. I wouldn't consider myself an expert on NHL level pro managing. Nor did I lead by being over emotional, to give some credit to your criticisms. 

Do you consider your experience to make you an expert at managing top level pro hockey players? 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Not always:  he could be a total punk.  I remember one time during his early years in Edmonton when he took a faceoff and instead of winning the draw just yanked his blade up into the face of our centreman cutting him wide open.  And then he laughed.  Maybe he didn't do it out of emotion or maybe he did it because he could get away with that against our terrible teams in the 80s, but no matter how you slice it, that's sick puppy stuff.  For me, the guy was always a psychopath, not a leader, but I realize that's a minority opinion in the hockey world. 

could you imagine some of the fan base if Miller did that?

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Didnt say he wasnt a dick.  I said he kept his emotions in check.......you didn't often (if ever) see him slamming his stick or screaming in frustration.

Just now, stawns said:

I'd rather that than the obscenties, slamming of sticks, doors etc.  

If Miller laughed after slicing a guy and putting the team on a 4 mins double minor ....ok/

I don't understand why you constantly bring up Miller as a problem on this team over those types of actions.

He's a heart on his sleeve type guy. Glad we have a few on this team now. 

• Vintage 1

I've been here since 82.Towel power days. I’m not giving this losing streak a pass and looking the other way. Nope not turning the other cheek at all. 

We are freakin better than this. 

PKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPK

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

If Miller laughed after slicing a guy and putting the team on a 4 mins double minor ....ok/

I don't understand why you constantly bring up Miller as a problem on this team over those types of actions.

He's a heart on his sleeve type guy. Glad we have a few on this team now. 

Isn't this a discussion board?  This board has been discussing and dissecting what's wrong with the team in multiple threads, that's my take on it, is that a problem?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I’ll just leave that there for anyone still under any illusions that Messier was not a complete psycho. It looked like he legitimately liked to hurt people. I remember my grandma thought he was handsome, so weird. 

• Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, DanielCloutier said:

Messier is definitely a narcissist at the very least. You don't demand a dead guys jersey number without being a narcissist.

Yeah, he seems to had branded himself as a great leader (can't argue with his teams record); but it does beg the question of humility.  With the pro sports context, it is all show and good on his PR department.

The brand vs a real one.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Millsy has been the heart beat of this team since the moment they acquired him. He has been the emotional leader, best player and yes CAPTAIN over that time.  Sure he comes with flaws, tries ill advised passes, screams obscenities..  but he is worth the price of admission most nights just on his COMPETE alone. He has more alpha in him than the rest of the team combined. I’m frankly getting a little tired of the good feels in front of the other teams net after a whistle, a little bit of a surly attitude might be a good idea in a world class sporting competition, no?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2