The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gary Bettman to meet with Quebec premier to discuss potential Nordiques return

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Move the Coyotes to Quebec.  That’s a no brainer fix to a long time money bleeding problem.  

How much money would they lose on the TV rights they've just signed.  There are certainly penalties if they move out of one of the largest US markets.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Move the Coyotes to Quebec.  That’s a no brainer fix to a long time money bleeding problem.  

Na, the NHL doesn't want to mess with division alignment. More realistic option is that the Coyotes move to either Houston or Austin Texas so that they can stay in their division.

Also I think the NHL loves expansion $$$$$$ so I won't be shocked to see Bettman basically say "if you find an owner willing to pay X for an expansion team, we'll grant you a team again."

• Vintage 1

I don't think there's a chance this would be a 33rd team expansion. Much more likely to be a team moving and the obvious contender is Arizona.

Would be super cool to have eight Canadian teams again though.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

would they still play out of the Central division? or would they have to shuffle one team back to the west?

Guess either Detroit or Columbus is gonna be mighty disappointed. Quebec is notably more eastern than either of them are.

Premier says the Habs aren't doing enough to employ French players. He does realize Quebec provides less players these days and they no longer get the free pick of Quebecois right? 

Forcing french management and coaching has already had a bad effect now imagine it impacting the roster....

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Not a lot of coyotes running around Quebec City.  Would they have a new team name and sweaters?  I would hope they'd go back to the Nordiques. 

I'd be shocked if they didn't pick the Nordiques name. It's so iconic, and like with the Jets, they're not so far removed from NHL history that people have forgotten the name (though that didn't stop the Senators).