The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where is Peng Shuai?

Kurgom

11 hours ago, Ilunga said:

$@#$ mate 

I am neither an Angle or a Saxon !

I am a Pict and I have the tatts to prove it. 

Proud of my adopted Scottish heritage. 

Don't lump me in with those uncivilized Sassenach's 

Only laughing because I too am mostly Scottish.  No tattoos to prove it though.  Yer gonna have to talk to Mom with her genealogy stuff :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JM_ said:

its kind of a weird way to talk about these countries tho, given how multicultural they are now.

More in historical terms and common heritage that these countries share and shared.

Kind of how Israel is referred as the Jewish state although third of the population is not Jewish.

Even way back when when U.K was more Anglo and Saxon, very few people were direct descendants of Saxon and Angle tribes.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Ilunga said:

$@#$ mate 

I am neither an Angle or a Saxon !

I am a Pict and I have the tatts to prove it. 

Proud of my adopted Scottish heritage. 

Don't lump me in with those uncivilized Sassenach's 

I learned a new word today, Sassenach.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

More in historical terms and common heritage that these countries share and shared.

Kind of how Israel is referred as the Jewish state although third of the population is not Jewish.

Even way back when when U.K was more Anglo and Saxon, very few people were direct descendants of Saxon and Angle tribes.

I guess I'm being a bit Vancouver-centric. "European" is actually less than 1/2 the population (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Metro_Vancouver)

7 hours ago, JM_ said:

its kind of a weird way to talk about these countries tho, given how multicultural they are now.

Our population is more multicultural however the people who govern us are not representative of our cultural diversity. 

On the whole we are still governed by old white men.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/sep/18/does-federal-parliament-accurately-reflect-the-evolving-face-of-diverse-australia

Edited by Ilunga
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Our population is more multicultural however the people who govern us are not representative of our cultural diversity. 

On the whole we are still governed by old white men.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/sep/18/does-federal-parliament-accurately-reflect-the-evolving-face-of-diverse-australia

fair point. I just don't feel any association at all with the UK culturally even though I'm Canadian. My family background is Russian, and I feel a lot more association with that than I do with the Brits just because I was born in a commonwealth country.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, gurn said:

Makes the NBA look really bad for the way they dealt with their Chinese government  issue.

With China having to back down on banning coal imports from us,not that I am happy that coal is still being used to power societies,and now this,maybe they will start to realise they are part of a global community wether they like it or not and they can't get away with $@#$@$$ on their own citizens and other societies. 

Unfortunately if Peng did not have the global profile that she does we wouldn't be hearing about this.

This makes me think about all the women out there in the world that suffer sexual abuse and their abusers aren't called to account.

• Upvote 1