The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If this season bombs, do you support a rebuild ?

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

If this season bombs, do you support a rebuild ?  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Isn't that more of a 'retool'?  Although I do see what you're saying.  We keep the younger guys, who we have contract control over.  The Avs kept Mac and others after they took a step back.  They moved out Duchene and ROR, right?

They moved out Barrie, Duchene and ROR...  would be like us moving BB, Horvat and QHs ... 

On 11/20/2021 at 11:08 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

I'm going to reroute back to what we've been missing. JB needs to get Tryamkin signed at the end of his KHL contract which ends next March or April, in time for us for next seasons playoffs. 1st unit pk guy. Shut down guy for either Hughes or OEL. 4M for 2 years (show me deal) should do it. 

Covid messed everything up but we need the big guy. Can play either side. 

ps Unfortunately, this year's playoffs look out of reach. 

he's stated that the only way he'll sign with the canucks is if it's a package deal that also includes sergei shirokov and kirill koltsov.

"If this season bombs?"

This  season is already over fir this team  ( in so far as righting the ship ) and it will be years before they contend

Look if it was just pety that saw his output collapse , even if it was pety and Horvat that went flat.i could see arguing that we could be one or 2 players away righting this ship.

I mean it wouldn't be the first and won't be the last time a young player looks like they may be the next one then splat they find themselves out if the NHL a few years later.

But nearly an entire team fir 2 seasons in a row in that predicament? Not possible 

Coaching issues in my opinion are to blame and with the ownership making no changes at this point I'd suspect they will at the very least finish this season intact.

The real question is "will the owners put in place coaching that coaches to the players ? OR are we sticking no matter what with this coaching staff?"

When we get that answer we can then discuss rebuild vs restart. 

If the staff are staying we need to blow up the team and fill it with players that will play to the coaching style

If they replace the coaches I'd feel this group under different coaching is capable of fighting for a playoff position as early as next season.

But this season? It's already past the point of return in my opinion. Changes if they happen 2 weeks ago may have had time to begin righting the ship this season ( still.dont think 4hey would make the.playoffs but wolf be fun to watch again )

For now we as fans just need to sit and wait till.the owners make it clear.on the rebuild vs reset question 

For me I still like this core and want the reset option of new coaches and GM.

I’ve always supported a rebuild. I think the loud majority have wanted a rebuild. Doesn’t make a sniff of a difference when the biggest fan of all being the owner does not want a rebuild. This has been the issue since 2014 and remains to be an issue. New management won’t change the mandate of this team, make the playoffs and “anything can happen” when in reality we are stuck in the middle, the worst place to be. It is a hopeless time being a fan of this team. 

A rebuild now is silly IMO. We have too many solid, young pieces yet to hit their prime, already here. 

Re-tool...? Something akin to the Avalanche moving Duchenne? Sure. Move out one, maybe two of Miller, Boeser or Horvat.

There's plenty here still to continue to build around.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, aGENT said:

A rebuild now is silly IMO. We have too many solid, young pieces yet to hit their prime, already here. 

Re-tool...? Something akin to the Avalanche moving Duchenne? Sure. Move out one, maybe two of Miller, Boeser or Horvat.

The Avalanche were in a rebuild when they moved Duchene - Sakic had announced it.  They also got futures in return.  Landeskog was even rumoured on the trading block then.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I agree. 

There is too much panicking going on. Our team is playing very bad and this season has started off terribly. Maybe even to the point that the season is a loss. 

But we have so many talented young players and an amazing goalie (who is playing well). I think a retool makes much more sense and to push again next year to be a playoff team (not saying we shouldn't push this year also). 

So yeah maybe look at a trade or two. I don't think we should blow up the team and trade everyone away for picks and wait another 5 years to hopefully be in a better position.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

The Avalanche were in a rebuild when they moved Duchene - Sakic had announced it.  They also got futures in return.  Landeskog was even rumoured on the trading block then.

And we're still technically in/coming out of one as well.

I'm talking about a, down to the bones, selling off everyone for picks and prospects and starting over rebuild.

That's not happening. Just like it didn't happen in Colorado.

4 hours ago, Ajax- said:

Back stronger with more rookies in 2 years ? 

Do you honestly believe  Petey, Huggy and the core gang will support tanking for 2 more years? Don't think so imho

what choice do they have? Hey maybe if they played better we wouldn't need to rebuild.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I agree. But throwing this season now, to get a pick ,(which I think we should do), is akin to a rebuilt, even though its just more of an addition through the draft than anything else.

10 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I agree. But throwing this season now, to get a pick ,(which I think we should do), is akin to a rebuilt, even though its just more of an addition through the draft than anything else.

I don't think they should throw this season at all. 

Look at the state of this team, we don't need to contribute anymore to the losing culture that is currently here. Canucks have thrown enough seasons, it's time to compete and try and be better. 

Yeah maybe we have no chance of making the playoffs at this point, then screw it, just play hard for pride and development. I'm fine with trading a someone away for a 1st round pick and a prospect. But I do think our core needs to pull itself out of this slump and finish the year strong, so that we can have some momentum going into next season.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

what choice do they have? Hey maybe if they played better we wouldn't need to rebuild.

We do not need a rebuild. This is not the time to do a panic trade for the sake of a trade. We have alot of valuable pieces for now and 3-6 years from now.

Use the remaining season to bring in some experienced management and coaching, see where your at trade deadline after analysing what's missing or doesn't fit. 

They have lots of choices, some more painful and long term, others short and direct, like a new coach.

Somebody needs to make a &^@#ing decision imho, and it will not be a full rebuild.

4 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

I don't think they should throw this season at all. 

Look at the state of this team, we don't need to contribute anymore to the losing culture that is currently here. Canucks have thrown enough seasons, it's time to compete and try and be better. 

Yeah maybe we have no chance of making the playoffs at this point, then screw it, just play hard for pride and development. I'm fine with trading a someone away for a 1st round pick and a prospect. But I do think our core needs to pull itself out of this slump and finish the year strong, so that we can have some momentum going into next season.

Spot on Bob.

Trade deadline is the time, not now. play it out see who responds, works hard and improves. And the ones that don't........

Bring some young guys up for a look from Abby if the year is another development year. 

It's painful because we all care so much.