The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If this season bombs, do you support a rebuild ?

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

If this season bombs, do you support a rebuild ?  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I don't mean scorched earth. But it would be something that classifies as a rebuilt.

If we trade Miller , maybe Horvat , OEL and Myers , it would be classified as a rebuild and hitting rock bottom. Even though we are 3/4 rebuilt already. We'd get our picks next year and go from there. 

How old are you ? I'd give up some years for a cup. I'm 37 years old. I wept as a 10 year old when we lost in 1994 and my Mom told me that we'd win a cup in the future so don't worry. Then we lost in 2011. 

i just want to see one cup before i die. 

We can trade Miller and Horvat, but who is going to take on the OEL and Myers contracts? We may be able to get rid of them, but it'll cost us, which will set us back quite a bit.

I honestly don't know what the solution is because I don't know what kind of players are available. If somehow we can find quality D-men at a reasonable price, it might be worth paying a premium to make room for them in attempt to kickstart this core's window (again).

But it'd depend on the players and price, of course. Risky business, to say the least.

The only other option would be to wait ~3 years for when Myers expires and perhaps OEL and Poolman are more moveable. That way, our core (theoretically EP, Hughes, Demko, Hog, Pod) will still be young enough to compete and we'll have a ton of flexibility to work with. The problem there is, though, we're waiting another 3 years for the window to reopen.

Edited by kanucks25

Here's an unbiased piece by Scott Burnside

Burnside: Which Western Conference teams are cooked?

Vancouver Canucks

Vancouver is a tire fire and it’s hard to see how the team manages to beat back the flames and make a run at the playoffs. The shocking regression of star center Elias Pettersson is just one of a litany of problems that ail this franchise.

Ownership, ultimately the makers of this mess with their handling of management matters over most of the last decade, have to decide what options there may be for GM Jim Benning, who has lurched from one contract crisis to another, the latest being the addition of Oliver Ekman-Larsson in a misguided reclamation project that promises to haunt the team moving forward.

And what of Travis Green, who has gone from being praised as one of the bright coaching minds in the game to someone who looks overwhelmed? Hard to imagine a change of scenery isn’t needed for both the team and the coach to move forward. In the end it’s less about making the playoffs than who is left standing when this season ends.

• Cheers 1