The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Does JT Miller get you Braden Schneider?

The Rangers traded Miller because there were concerns about his coachability at the time.  He leads the team in points.  Benning is under pressure to make the playoffs.  Media talks of an issue in the room.  Not sure what you expect NYR to conclude if Benning is looking to trade him when the aim is to make the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, mll said:

The Rangers traded Miller because there were concerns about his coachability at the time.  He leads the team in points.  Benning is under pressure to make the playoffs.  Media talks of an issue in the room.  Not sure what you expect NYR to conclude if Benning is looking to trade him when the aim is to make the playoffs.

Corey Hirsch spoke out about the Canucks issues and suggested that it was caused by an unnamed player who was poisoning the room against the coach.  This rumour died a quick death as it didn't really hold up to scrutiny imo.  

Has there been anything on this recently?

• Thanks 1

Pretty sad Rangers only started their rebuild 4 years ago and already have a better team (playoff team) and prospects than us. They traded away everything that was tradable and stocked up on picks and prospects. We trade away our 1sts and prospects for immediate retool. 

• Sad 1

I'm one of those people that wanted to trade Miller. If it doesn't look like we can turn it around this season then yes, I still think we should trade him.

But I think it's still possible that we turn this around. And to do so, we need Miller. 

I thought the line centered by Miller looked pretty good against the Jets at both ends of the ice. Miller seems to play well with shifty and skilled player like Garland and Podz just does everything well so he plays well with anyone.

I think Dicky-EP-Boeser also looked good. Getting EP-Boeser away from Miller and giving them a defensively reliable winger seemed to settle them down. And Dicky didn't have to center a line so that was good for him too.

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander could have been a bit better last game on the offensive end as they didn't have much zone time (understandable since they are a match up line). 

Pearson-Horvat-Motte's a decent shutdown line too. Although I don't like the idea of benching Hoglander, but if we are up by a goal or two, it makes sense to put them together.

Last game, I saw some good signs. Obviously, PK needs to be fixed and that remains to be seen. If we can, I think we can turn this ship around.

At this point, the trade I would make is getting a youngish defensive 3LD for Rathbone. I don't want to give up on Rathbone for 3LD but we have OEL and Hughes for the next 6 years and Rathbone isn't going to unseat either of those two.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Pretty sad Rangers only started their rebuild 4 years ago and already have a better team (playoff team) and prospects than us. They traded away everything that was tradable and stocked up on picks and prospects. We trade away our 1sts and prospects for immediate retool. 

I feel like they actually didn't do a full rebuild. More like a retool. They kept some core players like Zibanejad and Kreider.

I mean, when a Norris trophy winner and one of the best wingers walk up to you and says they will sign with you then things are much easier. And when a young RHD like Trouba demands trade to your team, then you acquire him at relatively low cost...

Also, winning two lotteries? That ain't ever happening here.

So given the events that transpired, they quickly changed course and able to come out of it with a retool. 

We have to do a rebuild since our core guys were 30 somethings. They just delayed it till 2017, when it was a bit too late.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

Not trading him now.  I want the Canucks to give it their all between now and the trade deadline to make the playoffs.

My suggestion for this trade is at the trade deadline if we are out of contention (while the Rags in this hypothetical would be a dark horse).

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Corey Hirsch spoke out about the Canucks issues and suggested that it was caused by an unnamed player who was poisoning the room against the coach.  This rumour died a quick death as it didn't really hold up to scrutiny imo.  

Nothing.  Hirsch is more full of crap than a toddler’s diaper.

• Haha 1

I’ve been meaning to make this proposal for a while, but haven’t had the time:

To NYR: Miller (50% retained)

To VAN: Chytil & Schneider

Chytil has struggled a bit, so Rangers get a massive upgrade at 2C for 2 years, without much of an increase in cap. And with Fox, Trouba, and Lundqvist, NY is already set at RD for a while.

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Hoglander is better than Kakko.  Lafreniere is pretty disappointing for a #1 overall pick.  I'd take Petey over him.  Kravstov is in the minors while Podkolzin was playing with Petey tonight on the 1st line.  Demko blows away Shesterkin.  Boeser is better than Chytil.  They won the lottery with Fox, as they didn't even draft him but he wanted to play there.  At least we drafted Hughes.  Lundkvist hasn't done much yet, Rathbone seems to have similar talent.  Schneider hasn't played a game in the NHL so not sure where he is at.  Klimovich was a better pick last year than Othmann.  Not sure what other high prospects they have that are better than ours.

If we still aren't good we risk losing Miller in 2023 as a free agent, same with Horvat. Both are important players in their primes that want to win.

Having them both walk for nothing would be pretty catastrophic. 

We are another season away from this being a major concern but we have to be aware. If this group isn't capable of turning ship around by this year's deadline we have to ask ourselves whether or not we can have success with this group at all.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Not that I know of.  

Worded that poorly and wasn’t trying to suggest that Hirsch is right but more that NYR could wonder if it is like Sat Shah is.

Sat Shah, without saying there is unlike Hirsch, was wondering if there is an issue in the room.  The team looked so out of sorts on the ice with players not in sync.  It’s unusual to trade the best point producer when the objective is playoffs. 

If they are still looking to turn their season around and/or want another go next season then it doesn’t feel like a hockey move and teams will likely want to understand why.  NYR could conclude it’s the same reasons that made them move him back then.

4 hours ago, Drakrami said:

It can’t really be understated how important it was for their rebuild that their two best players in Fox and Panarin, who are among the very best in the league, were pretty much layups for them to acquire. Two different teams traded for Fox iirc snd he still ended up in New York. 

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

I’ve been meaning to make this proposal for a while, but haven’t had the time:

To NYR: Miller (50% retained)

To VAN: Chytil & Schneider

Chytil has struggled a bit, so Rangers get a massive upgrade at 2C for 2 years, without much of an increase in cap. And with Fox, Trouba, and Lundqvist, NY is already set at RD for a while.

I'd do this trade.   I don't think Miller will stay with this tire fire of a team.  

Got to look long term and the pieces we get back should help.  The downside is that it prolongs the time for the Canucks to be a legitimate contender.  Unless Canucks get some draft lottery luck.