The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mid November and our season is all but wasted, with 5.8% chance of making the Playoffs !

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

12 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

The Vancouver Whitecaps made the playoffs this year despite a terrible start..............what were their odds of making the playoffs at their lowest point?   I'm not saying that what you're saying is without concern, but rather, it's still only mid-November as you say. The Canucks should have gone 3-0 on this latest homestand.  And hey - we killed some penalties last night.  We are improving, and it's up to the Canucks to decide if it's too little too late or not.

Improved for 2 periods

It should have been the Hawks that folded in the 3rd after playing the night before and arriving at 1 am 

They let the Hawks take over the 3rd instead

I don't get the whole boo hoo Markstrom stuff. We had Demko in thr pipelines who is just as good and arguably even better than Markstrom. Demko has always been our "goalie of the future" and he had damn near arrived the off-season Markstrom left. Under no circumstances could we keep both, so they kept the younger and cheaper option. Tanev leaving definitely hurt us though

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, ba;;isticsports said:

Improved for 2 periods

It should have been the Hawks that folded in the 3rd after playing the night before and arriving at 1 am 

They let the Hawks take over the 3rd instead

Did the Hawks really "take over" though?  They outshot us 11-10 and outside of one flukey PP goal, didn't really look very dangerous.   Having said that, our inability to generate any offense is a big concern.   Put Petey and Brock with Horvat with Petey playing LW.   

1 minute ago, .Naslund said:

I don't get the whole boo hoo Markstrom stuff. We had Demko in thr pipelines who is just as good and arguably even better than Markstrom. Demko has always been our "goalie of the future" and he had damn near arrived the off-season Markstrom left. Under no circumstances could we keep both, so they kept the younger and cheaper option. Tanev leaving definitely hurt us though

Well said.  In theory however, Hamonic should not have been that much of a downgrade over Tanev if it all.  Furthermore, the addition of Nate Schmidt should have given us more offense from the back-end.  Unfortunately, Green completely misused Schmidt.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, .Naslund said:

It was not like we could have kept both Marky and Demko, I think we made the right choice there. The only mistake was letting him go to a divisional rival.

Pretty happy with our present goaltending tandem, it's the only position we don't need upgrade.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

It was not like we could have kept both Marky and Demko, I think we made the right choice there. The only mistake was letting him go to a divisional rival.

Pretty happy with our present goaltending tandem, it's the only position we don't need upgrade.

Marky was a UFA.  He controlled where he ended up.  Demko is really good, and closer to the age of our younger guys.  

• Like 2

Just now, DS4quality said:

There's really only one way for the Canucks to figure out if it's coaching, management,  or both

It was always coaching, imo. Green has never produced a track record that he could coach any roster to its fullest potential. We see it loud and clear with this stacked roster (compared to previous years). Aqua is not directing Green to be fired when he should've been after this disastrous preseason.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On August 27th, 2021, the Toronto Blue Jays had 4.6% to make the playoffs.  They ended missing the playoffs by 1 game, despite having a 90+ win season which is usually safe for a playoff spot in baseball.  They were 3/4 into the season at the time.

While the Canucks are to a horrible start, and something need to change if they want to turn this around, I think that % mean squat, if the team really start playing to their potential.  This team is not a Stanley Cup contender, but on paper they are better than they have shown so far and are legit bubble teams to make the playoffs, instead of the bottom feeders they look like right now.  

If that % is still 5% in February, then it is over, right now it's way too early.

Edited by timberz21

• Aqualini ate up the belief the team was what was seen in the bubble playoffs 
  • Then the team proceeds to dump all the core players, and replaces them with guys like Travis Boyd & Jimmy Vesey which irks the team dressing room & culture for winning team big time
  • Proceed to dump players (overdue) for an over the hill vet (OEL) and another small forward (Garland) and claim victory this off season 
  • 17 games in so far = near dead last in the division and bottom 6 in the league; same as it's been pretty much the last few years
  • Despite another deflating top to bottom showing...Aqua still holds the line thus blowing any chance of competitive hockey come March for this season...

It's a mess throughout the entire organization.

Edited by BureBurrito
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

This city's sports are pitiful these days

A lot of people in Vancouver (lower mainland) cheer for the Seahawks, when the team isn't even from this city or country (sure, it's the closest NFL team, but is that all it takes to be a fan?)  Do a majority of Torontonians cheer for the Bills?  Doubtful. I'm confused why the sports media here is whining so much about how bad the Hawks are this year.  Who cares? Not our team. I had to shut it off.

Lions suck, worse than the big cats from Detroit

Whitecaps were pretty good this year, but soccer...sorry but I won't be force fed those euro and south american sports, thanks

and we all know about the Canucks.  Sure hope there's a change coming soon.  They're getting into embarrassing territory. 

A lot of Ontario does cheer for the Bills actually. 

11 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Not signing Tryamkin hurt more than we care to admit. 

What a destructive player that giant is. Conversely, what a waste of an asset…

But you can’t possibly think that Tryamkin would have as great an impact as Markstrom/ Tanev had.

Edited by Me_

8 minutes ago, Me_ said:

What a destructive player that giant is. Conversely, what a waste of an asset…

But you can’t possibly think that Tryamkin would have as great an impact as Markstrom/ Tanev had.

Yes as Tanev, way more physical, composed on the pk. And intimidating to LW forwards. Developing a knack for the tough stuff. Especially in the playoffs. Where Tanev and Stecher got pushed off the puck so easily. Playoffs are a different brand of hockey. 

I said it before and I'll say it again, I am guessing ownership is just gonna ride out the season and make wholesale changes come offseason. If they make changes in December/January it's too late and just makes them look stupid. The fact no trades have been made might suggest that ownership is clamping down on what Benning can and can't do. Cause I mean, why would you as a GM do absolutely nothing if the ship is on fire? Especially when your job is on the line.

• Cheers 1