The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(discussion) Looks like another lost year. What good can we take out of this year?

JM_

So, yeah. 

We needed change, didn't get enough of it and here we are again. Its disappointing, but I see a lot of things to look forward to going forward,

Coming out of this, whats the best approach? a mini-rebuild? how much do we have to build on?

I see a lot, but what do you think?

And please, don't turn this into another Green/Benning  complaint thread, we have lots of that. What good pieces do you see moving forward?

• Cheers 1

Keep watching and see what happens. I have no idea what would be best but I don’t think blowing the team up is the answer. Maybe moving one big name guy? A coach is the answer in my books. I still think this team is way to damn good vs the results. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, SergioMomesso said:

That Petey is not a franchise player that everyone tagged him to be after one good year. And Boeser is not worth what he will be demanding in the offseason.

why is that good? what can we do with that?

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Keep watching and see what happens. I have no idea what would be best but I don’t think blowing the team up is the answer. Maybe moving one big name guy? A coach is the answer in my books. I still think this team is way to damn good vs the results. 

I really like a lot of the group, Bo, Miller, Petey, Boeser, Garland, Podz, Hoglander, OEL, Hughes are all parts we should be able to do good things with.

I'd like to see us add someone like Greenway, and some answer to the right handed 3C issue. 

I think we can do that by moving some pieces like Rathbone for a Greenway type, but not sure how to get the RH3C without a costly move. 

• Vintage 3

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Who are our key players going forward?

Demko

Hughes, OEL, Bone

Petey, Bess, Bo, Hogs, Pods, Garland

Am I missing anyone (currently on the team) we would be building around?

a bit too early for Klim but I think he's going to be a keeper.

• Vintage 1

Biggest thing to hope for is the development of our young talent. Would like Hogs and Podz specifically take the next step. Have been happy with both so far. 

Development of our other young players seems to have regressed thus far but that’s more the team as a whole and hopefully they can turn it around. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

a bit too early for Klim but I think he's going to be a keeper.

Yup.  He's a good young prospect.  Still just 18.

I was wondering about playing Pods at center?  Big, strong, skilled, smart, and very competitive.  Maybe he's the third line, checking center in our future?  Free up trading Miller?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup.  He's a good young prospect.  Still just 18.

I was wondering about playing Pods at center?  Big, strong, skilled, smart, and very competitive.  Maybe he's the third line, checking center in our future?  Free up trading Miller?

it would be new for him, but maybe? I like his physical board play tho, and how he digs the puck out. Great positioning and reads plays well. Seems like he should mesh well with a guy like Petey, and maybe Garland? I like Garlands aggressiveness and how he gets to the net.

I'd say going forward the main area of concern should be fixing the defense, especially the right side. Right now we have 11.5M tied up in 3 guys that are all arguably bottom-pairing D-men on a good team.

In a perfect world, we acquire two legit top-4 RD's - one to play with Hughes and one to play with OEL.

Unless someone like Woo takes massive strides very soon, we don't have anyone in the system that can fill that role. So we'd have to look at trades and free-agency.

As for trades, we'd have to weaken our forward group to strengthen the defense. Our only other option would be to trade 1st and 2nd round picks but I don't know how wise that would be at this point considering how weak our prospect pool is now.

So who on forward can we afford to lose? As much as I like Boeser, Garland may have leapfrogged him and Podkolzin is a cheaper alternative (albeit still has a lot of developing to do). Miller is a wild-card. I'd say based on his contract expiring soon, it may be best to start fielding offers on him. I think both of these guys have the value to garner legit D-men, but I just don't know how teams (if any) are looking to trade a top-4 RD in his prime right now.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, JM_ said:

So, yeah. 

We needed change, didn't get enough of it and here we are again. Its disappointing, but I see a lot of things to look forward to going forward,

Coming out of this, whats the best approach? a mini-rebuild? how much do we have to build on?

And please, don't turn this into another Green/Benning  complaint thread, we have lots of that. What good pieces do you see moving forward?

you need to change the title

I came in to say the best thing that can happen this year is a new Pres. GM + coach

anything else is too little too soon

Positives are the play of Hogs, Pod, Demko and Garland.  These guys haven't taken a night off yet imo.  Everyone else to a man has had nights where they mailed it in.  This team isn't good enough to have guys take nights off.

People may not agree, but I'm against making any big moves at this time.   With the calibre of team play thus far, nobody is going to be offering fair market value for any of our assets - and we don't have the organizational depth to be selling low on players.  What does that mean?  It means the answer needs to come from within that dressing room like it or not. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, lmm said:

you need to change the title

I came in to say the best thing that can happen this year is a new Pres. GM + coach

anything else is too little too soon

no thats OK, who do you see out there as the best fits?

I've liked Ralph Krueger as a team builder in a president role (not as a coach so much). Gorton as a GM. 

Coaching I'm not sure about. 

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

So, yeah. 

I don't know.  It's November.  There's another 5 months left in the regular season. 

• Cheers 2