The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Blow it up

This team is rotten to the core. Rumours of locker room turmoil. Players unhappy. Management is awful. Coaching lost the room. Ownership doing nothing. I think this team needs to do what Buffalo has done and look to start another rebuild and rebuild properly.

Fire Jim Benning

Fire Travis Green and the coaching staff

Trade #1

Vancouver: C Elias Pettersson, D Travis Hamonic, LW Matt Highmore

New York Islanders: C Mathew Barzal, LW Matt Martin, D Robin Salo

-Both Pettersson and Barzal are underperforming this year. I think Barzal is a more speedy dynamic player that fits with players like Garland and Hoglander better. Martin gives us a tough guy and locker room leader. Salo is a young LHD with some upside.

-NYI get Pettersson who is more skilled than Barzal but not as fast. Hamonic replaces Pulock as he’s out on LTIR. Highmore is a high energy guy.

Trade #2

Vancouver: RW Brock Boeser, D Jack Rathbone, 

New York Rangers: D Braden Schneider, RW Vitali Kravtsov

-Rangers get a top 6 forward and prospect. I think they’re gearing up to make a push for the playoffs either this year or next.

-I don’t think Boeser is going to be worth his next contract. He’s good but not someone we need right now. He’s a supporting player not someone to build around. We get a young RHD with promise and a young Russian winger with promise.

Trade #3

Vancouver: C/LW JT Miller

Washington: C Lars Eller, C Hendrix Lapierre, WIN 2022 2nd

-We get Eller who fills in at C for a few years while Lapierre develops. Lapierre could be Horvat 2.0 with time.

-Washington gets Miller who slots into their top 6 while Backstrom is injured. They’ll have another run for the cup with Ovi still lighting it up.

Garland-Barzal-Hoglander

Pearson-Horvat-Kravtsov

Motte-Eller-Podkolzin

Martin-Dickinson-Chaisson

Ekman Larsson-Myers

Hughes-Schneider

Salo-Poolman

Demko

Halak

This also leave us with close to 10mill in cap space. Start the rebuild from here.

I honestly don’t know what to Dow it’s this team anymore. But this is a start.

I don't mind that Miller trade tbh. But I don't see Vancouver and New York being prepared to give up on Pettersson and Barzal respectively. 

That Rangers deal doesn't look terrible either, though I have questions regarding Kravtsov's willingness to play here. Maybe having Podz would help. I'm not keen on moving out Boeser tbh, but there are very few on this team I'd consider untouchable. Hughes and Demko being two of them. 

I'm all for replacing Benning and the coaching staff though, he's had eight years. Ideally they bring in a president who can operate autonomously and allow him to try and straighten things out. 

Edited by Coconuts

Anyone who has been a part of an organization with good leadership knows just how much of a positive impact it can have.

There are a lot of good pieces in place. Let the new guy try to figure it out before doing something drastic.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

Anyone who has been a part of an organization with good leadership knows just how much of a positive impact it can have.

There are a lot of good pieces in place. Let the new guy try to figure it out before doing something drastic.

if the pieces are good, the return will (should) be good

• Cheers 1

I don't see why NYI or any GM (not named Jimmer) would want Hamonic

I think his value is plummeting, what with  trade requests, skip the bubble, anti-vax, show up to camp late

I wouldn't trade an equal piece for him

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's that first step of firing Jim and Travis that may be difficult. The owners love them apparently. 

I like the idea of a real shake up though

They may love them, but when attendance starts falling below 16K, then 15K...I'd be willing to bet the Aquliini family would jettison them pretty fast.  And totally agree, the team needs a new direction. There's a post on Twitter, someone saying who he would keep. Me? Hughes, Pettersson, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Garland, Demko. The entire remainder of the team could and should be targets...and this includes Horvat. 

• Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I don't mind that Miller trade tbh. But I don't see Vancouver and New York being prepared to give up on Pettersson and Barzal respectively. 

That Rangers deal doesn't look terrible either, though I have questions regarding Kravtsov's willingness to play here. Maybe having Podz would help. I'm not keen on moving out Boeser tbh, but there are very few on this team I'd consider untouchable. Hughes and Demko being two of them. 

I'm all for replacing Benning and the coaching staff though, he's had eight years. Ideally they bring in a president who can operate autonomously and allow him to try and straighten things out. 

This is huge. This team has been allowed to run like it is because no one is there to say otherwise. We need Experience from the Top all the way down. 

I believe if we get an experienced President, the rest will fall into place.

9 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is huge. This team has been allowed to run like it is because no one is there to say otherwise. We need Experience from the Top all the way down. 

That's how I see it. No more GM talking directly to the owner on the regular sort of business. I'd like them to bring in someone to clean house and build things back up if necessary. 

Particularly in regards to how we develop our prospects, because our track record there has been pretty abysmal. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ken kaniff said:

This team is rotten to the core. Rumours of locker room turmoil. Players unhappy. Management is awful. Coaching lost the room. Ownership doing nothing. I think this team needs to do what Buffalo has done and look to start another rebuild and rebuild properly.

Fire Jim Benning

Fire Travis Green and the coaching staff

Trade #1

Vancouver: C Elias Pettersson, D Travis Hamonic, LW Matt Highmore

New York Islanders: C Mathew Barzal, LW Matt Martin, D Robin Salo

-Both Pettersson and Barzal are underperforming this year. I think Barzal is a more speedy dynamic player that fits with players like Garland and Hoglander better. Martin gives us a tough guy and locker room leader. Salo is a young LHD with some upside.

-NYI get Pettersson who is more skilled than Barzal but not as fast. Hamonic replaces Pulock as he’s out on LTIR. Highmore is a high energy guy.

Trade #2

Vancouver: RW Brock Boeser, D Jack Rathbone, 

New York Rangers: D Braden Schneider, RW Vitali Kravtsov

-Rangers get a top 6 forward and prospect. I think they’re gearing up to make a push for the playoffs either this year or next.

-I don’t think Boeser is going to be worth his next contract. He’s good but not someone we need right now. He’s a supporting player not someone to build around. We get a young RHD with promise and a young Russian winger with promise.

Trade #3

Vancouver: C/LW JT Miller

Washington: C Lars Eller, C Hendrix Lapierre, WIN 2022 2nd

-We get Eller who fills in at C for a few years while Lapierre develops. Lapierre could be Horvat 2.0 with time.

-Washington gets Miller who slots into their top 6 while Backstrom is injured. They’ll have another run for the cup with Ovi still lighting it up.

Garland-Barzal-Hoglander

Pearson-Horvat-Kravtsov

Motte-Eller-Podkolzin

Martin-Dickinson-Chaisson

Ekman Larsson-Myers

Hughes-Schneider

Salo-Poolman

Demko

Halak

This also leave us with close to 10mill in cap space. Start the rebuild from here.

I honestly don’t know what to Dow it’s this team anymore. But this is a start.

Islanders won't trade Barzal son.

Not... terrible.  The Islanders and us are both underachieving, and Barzal for Petey reminds me of the Laine-PLD trade to get both guys started again (bonus, I'm not always into narratives, but the whole "hometown kid coming back home to be the #1 C" has a nice ring to it).  Agreed that Hamonic might not hold interest for them as he wouldn't be able to cross until he's fully vaxxed, but if Highmore plus a small add gets either of the two guys coming back I'd be interested.

On paper the 2nd one looks good too (I would trade Boeser for Schneider, and Rathbone for Kravtsov would be a good change of scenery swap too).  The 3rd trade looks good on paper, only hesitation would be whether they even need Miller since Kuznetsov's tearing it up in Backstrom's absence, and they might not be able to fit him in cap-wise when everyone has returned.  

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's how I see it. No more GM talking directly to the owner on the regular sort of business. I'd like them to bring in someone to clean house and build things back up if necessary. 

Particularly in regards to how we develop our prospects, because our track record there has been pretty abysmal. 

Yeah we need experienced personnel who know how to run an operation this huge. We brought in inexperience and now we are paying for it. 

I just hope something can be done soon and we don't lose any more quality players. Podz, Hogs and our newer players acquired might be how we fix this and build a culture far from what we have been allowed for years.

We should have took the queues such as these players not sticking up for each other all these years or taking nights off on a regular basis. The Culture has been broken for a very long time. If I hear one more reason why we lost from this group I am going to #$%^! ::D

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Yeah we need experienced personnel who know how to run an operation this huge. We brought in inexperience and now we are paying for it. 

I just hope something can be done soon and we don't lose any more quality players. Podz, Hogs and our newer players acquired might be how we fix this and build a culture far from what we have been allowed for years.

We should have took the queues such as these players not sticking up for each other all these years or taking nights off on a regular basis. The Culture has been broken for a very long time. If I hear one more reason why we lost from this group I am going to #$%^! ::D

Culture matters, but our inability to draft and promote our own players to play support roles is hurting us 

You look around the league and other they've got guys they've drafted who play as role players, ect 

Hoglander was a 2nd rounder, but prior to that who's stepped in that wasn't a first rounder and carved out a legit role? Demko?

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

38 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Culture matters, but our inability to draft and promote our own players to play support roles is hurting us 

You look around the league and other they've got guys they've drafted who play as role players, ect 

Hoglander was a 2nd rounder, but prior to that who's stepped in that wasn't a first rounder and carved out a legit role? Demko?

So true, I thought Benning was our "Draft Guru". ::D

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I agree to some extent but when the owner pays the salaries and the bills, it is rare that an owner would let a President operate totally autonomously.  As in the movie Moneyball, the owner signs off on all trades and contracts (it's his money on the line).

9 minutes ago, sockeye said:

I agree to some extent but when the owner pays the salaries and the bills, it is rare that an owner would let a President operate totally autonomously.  As in the movie Moneyball, the owner signs off on all trades and contracts (it's his money on the line).

I am thinking without a President, FA can just dictate to JB as to what he wants. No middle man and maybe JB just does what ever the Boss wants and has no backbone? I am thinking JB is smart enough to realize TG is done but I heard FA is buddies with Travis. Maybe he wants Green gone too but the Boss says no. Green is making him look bad so I can't imagine he supports him at this point.

Like many on the boards have said, I'd firstly like to see how Petey and Brock perform under an entirely new coach and new system. Green just isn't bringing out their best and able to get them to that next level but I bet someone like Boudreau could (who squeezed a lot out of a pretty empty Minnesota team and of course took the Caps to great heights).

I'd hate to give up on these kids just because of Green but if ownership isn't going to do anything about the coaches, this is sadly the next step and it's a huge waste of talent and years grooming them.