The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] What would Bo Horvat land you at the trade deadline?

This thread isn’t about IF we should move Horvat, but rather, what would we be able to get in return for Bo Horvat at the trade deadline assuming that we are well out of playoff contention by then?

-JT Miller *possibly* lands you Braden Schneider+

So what would Horvat get you?  Which team could use a Bo Horvat?  

5 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Im expecting AT LEAST (hopefully) a 1st, top prospect and maybe can squeeze a 2nd rounder the following year. 

Im all in for another rebuild. This includes trading players like Petey & Hughes at the right price. 

For me personally, I’d keep Petey since he’ll be an RFA when this contract expires. Hughes is also signed for another 6 years and so he’s a keeper for me as well.  Even for a guy like Brock who’ll be an RFA, he’s the type of guy that you can keep here long term.

I’m all for “replenishing the cupboards” so to speak, but not in a wild directionless manner in which we trade every Tom, Dick, and Harry.

Moving Horvat and Miller will allow us to recoup the firsts and prospects lost in the Toffoli, Miller, and OEL deals. 

two first's (as they will be late) and a top prospect. Remember he has 1 year left so any team is getting two kicks at the cup. Leadership, clutch player (like Justin Williams), top F/O guy Horvat would easily get you want I just mentioned. Might have to take back a bad contract to make money work

As much as I'm all for moving BO he doesn't deserve to endure another rebuild. I don't think he can be moved. Any trade involving Bo will be a huge loss. We would literally not have a C who can win a draw. Especially since you're certainly moving Miller as well. But I think the return on Miller + Boeser alone should net you enough picks. Especially if we are taking 1 or 2 year expiring cap dumps. Something like Miller for Looch and 2 firsts. 

51 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

My concern is this. Can't he just sign his qualifying offer after 3 yrs to become a UFA the following year. 

If he chooses to do that, we can trade him and tell him to &^@# off.  Mark Stone did this to Ottawa and Ottawa were able to get decent trade value out of Mark Stone.

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

Im expecting AT LEAST (hopefully) a 1st, top prospect and maybe can squeeze a 2nd rounder the following year. 

Im all in for another rebuild. This includes trading players like Petey & Hughes at the right price. 

Horrible take.

Another "rebuild" comes with a lot of unknowns. There is no guarantee that the Canucks would get a Bedard type of player just because we stockpile picks and tank. Heck, there is no guarantee that we even end up with players that are the same calibre as Petey and Hughes. 

Petey and Huggy are 23-22 year olds. Again, 23 and 22 respectively but you want to blow it all up and attempt to go for more wildcard 18 year olds?

How about instead of being that hasty, we assess a lingering pattern over the last 7-8 years that might have contributed to this team's stagnation. I can think of one. We have only had inexperiencd rookie coaches for these last 7 years. We have a GM that makes headscratching transactions, sometimes at crucial moments for this team.

Also what is a "rebuild" under this ownership? We should've already done it properly 7 years ago in 2014 when Jim was first brought in.

You want another half-a*sed attempt at another "retool/rebuild" and end up with the same mediocre result? The Aquilinis have already shown us they're too chicken to go all in.

It's not changing anytime soon. Nothing more evident than Francesco's patience with TG. He's all about the money: saving it and selling as many tickets as he can no matter what really is good for the future of this team.

32 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

He's all about the money: saving it and selling as many tickets

LMAO ur not wrong about that. I see ad's of the canucks promoting season tixs 

33 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

There is no guarantee that the Canucks would get a Bedard type of player just because we stockpile picks and tank.

Yes, theres no guarantee about michkov or bedard, but stockpiling picks is good. Better than having Miller, & Horvat walk. These 2 i would seriously consider trading especially Miller. Horvat depends if he wants to stay. If he wants out, then u trade him ASAP. ASSET MANAGEMENT. 

34 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Petey and Huggy are 23-22 year olds. Again, 23 and 22 respectively but you want to blow it all up and attempt to go for more wildcard 18 year olds?

Petey can sign a 1 year deal following his current deal to become a UFA I think. Sure, we still have some time, but it shouldn't be off the table if we get a good deal. 

25 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

LMAO ur not wrong about that. I see ad's of the canucks promoting season tixs 

Yes, theres no guarantee about michkov or bedard, but stockpiling picks is good. Better than having Miller, & Horvat walk. These 2 i would seriously consider trading especially Miller. Horvat depends if he wants to stay. If he wants out, then u trade him ASAP. ASSET MANAGEMENT. 

I think Bo is dedicated to making this team better. We'll know for sure when his contract is up but he's already shown loyalty with his money/term on his current contract and he's the captain. Miller, I'm not so sure will stay or not. 

Don't get me wrong, if it's for the good of our team's outcome I would more than welcome a rebuild. However, I do like Hughes and I haven't given up on Petey.

I also think this ownership group will not conduct a proper rebuild and never accept it. They've kind of shown that to all of us.

2 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

For me personally, I’d keep Petey since he’ll be an RFA when this contract expires. Hughes is also signed for another 6 years and so he’s a keeper for me as well.  Even for a guy like Brock who’ll be an RFA, he’s the type of guy that you can keep here long term.

I’m all for “replenishing the cupboards” so to speak, but not in a wild directionless manner in which we trade every Tom, Dick, and Harry.

Moving Horvat and Miller will allow us to recoup the firsts and prospects lost in the Toffoli, Miller, and OEL deals. 

Sorry but personally I think guys like Horvat and Miller will win you cups - not so sure about Petey and Brock. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Probably gonna get hated on for this, as it not going to be a popular opinion. But right now I think that I'm more attached to the idea of Bo rather than the reality of him.  

The idea being, he's a good hard working Canadian kid, Proper leader, good 2 way game, big, fast physical player.

The reality is that he's a career minus, ~45 point player who rarely hits hard, and doesn't really dominate games physically.  Yes he is good at face offs and good along the boards. He also seems to be respected in the locker room, and is clearly a good honest guy. I've been a huge fan since we drafted him...

but he has fallen short of where he should be at this point in is career on the stats page and in the leadership column.  You have to think that the Captain is a contributing factor to pull players into form, into getting them through adversity and fighting out of apathy - and you never really see that from Bo on the ice. If we truely are a 'Fragile Group' - The Captain is a big part of that. 

He has been better in the play offs and he always has been a streaky scorer - being stone cold right now is probably contributing to that.  If he had scored a few of those end to end double deke moves he can do instead of hoofing them wide, into the crest or passing them into Pearsons ankles I might be singing to a different tune right now.  

If i were looking to trade him, first call would be to WPG and asking about Dubois - rumour has it since last year he doesn't want to stay there, and if we could negotiate a deal with them to trade for Bo + an add of some kind - I'd be making that trade in a heart beat. 

Same problem as Miller - we need size and grit in the line up and we can't afford to trade either player for soft, skill players. Were better of keeping them.

2 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

This thread isn’t about IF we should move Horvat, but rather, what would we be able to get in return for Bo Horvat at the trade deadline assuming that we are well out of playoff contention by then?

-JT Miller *possibly* lands you Braden Schneider+

So what would Horvat get you?  Which team could use a Bo Horvat?  

The only person from our top core that I would consider trading would be Boeser. It's hard to find solid centers, we have excess on right wing.

If Boeser could land us a solid top 4, RD and a good pick or prospect, I'd be pretty good with moving him. As I stated in another post, we have Garland, Podkolzin and Hoglander who can hold down the top 9 positions on the right side. We are REALLY weak on defense in general, but especially RD.

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I mean would you?

I probably would unfortunately.  Boeser won't fetch you much right now anyways while Horvat and Miller will be able to recoup all of our loss 1sts and prospects from the Toffoli, OEL, and Miller deals.    

With rumours of locker room dissension combined with the fact that the Canucks likely won't be making the playoffs this season, we need to reset imo.  

8 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I probably would unfortunately.  Boeser won't fetch you much right now anyways while Horvat and Miller will be able to recoup all of our loss 1sts and prospects from the Toffoli, OEL, and Miller deals.    

With rumours of locker room dissension combined with the fact that the Canucks likely won't be making the playoffs this season, we need to reset imo.  

I meant would you re sign if you were Miller Horvat. I know I wouldn't. 

I think you have to do Miller, Boeser this year to extract the most value. Bo can't go until next year. Full tank for Michkov, Bedard.

• Cheers 1