The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

14 hours ago, kloubek said:

Big yes to moving Myers. He just isn't good enough to eat so much cap.

He's kind of like a sideshow at the circus. He's literally a giraffe on skates. He actually skates pretty good "for a big man" but really that's where it ends. It's kind of entertaining to watch but it doesn't really accomplish anything and gets boring pretty quickly. His end to end individual rushes do next to nothing as he always loses the puck after and he's not good at clearing his own zone either. Imo he's worth/good as a 4.5m physical deterrent/PKer third liner on a good team. I don't want him playing second line on my team. If you play him that much with big minutes eventually the puck is just ending up in your own net. He's like a change of pace running back. :frantic::lol:

Edited by Gawdzukes

39 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I would think Miller would top their list. They only have 2ish mil in cap space so someone has to come back our way.... not sure they want to get rid of Carlo and he's the only player I'd want back. I'd barf if we traded for Hall. 

I wouldn't entirely hate Hall as a player. I think he could some damage with Petey on LW and he's a lethal PP guy ... but not what I'd want for Miller at all.

31 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Forbort would be a nice fit here, it would allow us to move Rathbone in part of a different trade package. 

Is Forbort worth the 3 mil tho?

Forbort is a big physical player I like quite a bit ... although he's been an ahole a couple times we played against him. Signed for 2 years ... 30 years old. Money is not too bad but pushes Rathbone out as well.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I wouldn't entirely hate Hall as a player. I think he could some damage with Petey on LW and he's a lethal PP guy ... but not what I'd want for Miller at all.

Forbort is a big physical player I like quite a bit ... although he's been an ahole a couple times we played against him. Signed for 2 years ... 30 years old. Money is not too bad but pushes Rathbone out as well.

we need to bulk up though. I'm OK with moving on from Rathone as part of a package of some kind that upgrades the F group, Hughes and OEL are not going anywhere. 

Just wondering about the 3 mil and if thats an overpayment for him. 

Lysell, Forbort and a 2nd round pick? is that enough for Miller?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Forbort would be a nice fit here, it would allow us to move Rathbone in part of a different trade package. 

Is Forbort worth the 3 mil tho?

I would prefer Craig Smith if they wanted us to take cap back. 

Good player but had a bad playoffs

Edited by Bure_Pavel

51 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I would think Miller would top their list. They only have 2ish mil in cap space so someone has to come back our way.... not sure they want to get rid of Carlo and he's the only player I'd want back. I'd barf if we traded for Hall. 

But.... If we trade for Hall, we get Bredard next year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, JM_ said:

we need to bulk up though. I'm OK with moving on from Rathone as part of a package of some kind that upgrades the F group, Hughes and OEL are not going anywhere. 

I'd want to bump up that 2nd to a 1st if that's me but it looks like they don't have one. Maybe a 2023 second as well then or another asset to round that out. 

I agree with bulking up. Forbort sure fulfills a physical 3rd liner role which compliments Hughes and OEL better than Rathbone. He'd be a terriffic fit imo. I'd rather pay him $3m then Myers $6m. I don't think it's bad value at all. He's 6'4, 220lbs and provides the same value at half the cost.

Having said that I don't think that happens as JR seems pretty high on Rathbone. It looks like he'll get his shot this year as JR said he'll be with Canucks next year for sure.

16 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I would prefer Craig Smith if they wanted us to take cap back. 

Smith has always been a target of mine. There is our 3C but he is 32 years old. Had 16 goals and 36 points playing 74 games.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

He's kind of like a sideshow at the circus. He's literally a giraffe on skates. He actually skates pretty good "for a big man" but really that's where it ends. It's kind of entertaining to watch but it doesn't really accomplish anything and gets boring pretty quickly. His end to end individual rushes do next to nothing as he always loses the puck after and he's not good at clearing his own zone either. Imo he's worth/good as a 4.5m physical deterrent/PKer third liner on a good team. I don't want him playing second line on my team. If you play him that much with big minutes eventually the puck is just ending up in your own net. He's like a change of pace running back. :frantic::lol:

He eats minutes and holds guys against the boards well. He's an average defender and has the capability of putting up at least *some* points - though inconsistently. He's overpaid for what he brings and I think aGent is quite right in the fact he's just doesn't fit into our system whereby we require more role players rather than an all-rounder.

In my opinion, this is what we need:
Hughes *1*
OEL *2*
*3* Schenn

#1 would be a sizable (preferably quite sizable) defense-first partner. He must be capable of keeping the puck moving with good passing, and have at least decent speed. I think we can afford to spend a reasonable amount for this kind of guy, and I'll say again my eyes are on Manson.
#2, would be similar to #1, but doesn't need to be quite as big nor quite as fast - although speed and size remain needs of the team as a whole. Should be priced anywhere from $2m-$3.5m. I'm thinking a guy like Mikey Anderson, Nick Jensen.
#1 and #2 could be interchangeable, depending on the right fit, but I'd prefer to have a big guy like Manson playing with Hughes to ensure nobody takes liberties.
#3 would be a puck-moving d-man. If Rathbone manages to be full-time next season, I think he fits here well.

Hughes Manson
OEL Anderson/Jensen
Rathbone Schenn

Obviously OEL is the contract that stands out as not quite paying for itself, but I don't think there is much we can do about that. Otherwise, it's reasonably priced, and allows the players to play to their strengths rather than have to compensate for a lacking partner.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think they're gonna keep Rathbone, they want to see what he can do. There's a decent chance he can far out-contribute his ELC value. 

Could definitely see Forbort as Hughes' partner. Happy to have a bit of an a-hole playing alongside Hughes. 

Rathbone-Dermott looks like the third pair. 

Hughes-Forbort
OEL-Manson
Rathbone-Dermott

Too much to ask?

As much as I would love to keep Miller, you have to think you can get a legitimate package that can potentially set Vancouver up for the future, if we hang onto him past the 2023 deadline we will most likely lose him for nothing

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Joe92 said:

As much as I would love to keep Miller, you have to think you can get a legitimate package that can potentially set Vancouver up for the future, if we hang onto him past the 2023 deadline we will most likely lose him for nothing

If we trade Miller back in February then yes we could have gotten such a return.  The chances of that kind of return now are not nearly so good.

39 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'd want to bump up that 2nd to a 1st if that's me but it looks like they don't have one. Maybe a 2023 second as well then or another asset to round that out. 

I agree with bulking up. Forbort sure fulfills a physical 3rd liner role which compliments Hughes and OEL better than Rathbone. He'd be a terriffic fit imo. I'd rather pay him $3m then Myers $6m. I don't think it's bad value at all. He's 6'4, 220lbs and provides the same value at half the cost.

Having said that I don't think that happens as JR seems pretty high on Rathbone. It looks like he'll get his shot this year as JR said he'll be with Canucks next year for sure.

Smith has always been a target of mine. There is our 3C but he is 32 years old. Had 16 goals and 36 points playing 74 games.

Smith is listed as a C but has actually always played wing.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we trade Miller back in February then yes we could have gotten such a return.  The chances of that kind of return now are not nearly so good.

Sat Shaw was saying yesterday it was Lundkvist, Chytil and a 1st. Thats a pretty meh return imo, and we can do just as well once teams get to talk extension with Miller.

Small RHD, struggling bottom 6 C and a late 1st? 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Sat Shaw was saying yesterday it was Lundkvist, Chytil and a 1st. Thats a pretty meh return imo, and we can do just as well once teams get to talk extension with Miller.

Yeah, if that was the offer then no thanks. 

Edited by J-Dizzle
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

We will have to compare that rumored return to what (if Miller is traded) we get this summer.  

22 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Thats a fine package. If we weren't in a playoff push I might have been ok with that. Fine wasn't good enough though, so I'm glad we declined. If that was the best offer I could see Miller easily fetching an equal package now, but would expect we will see a better value trade when it goes down.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Yeah that offer is trash. Bottom 6 Center that can’t win faceoffs, Small bottom pairing potential dman and a late first. For a 100 point does everything center signed for a year and a half at a very cheap rate.

• Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, Alflives said:

more bidders now than at the deadline means a better trade package. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Thats a fine package. If we weren't in a playoff push I might have been ok with that. Fine wasn't good enough though, so I'm glad we declined. If that was the best offer I could see Miller easily fetching an equal package now, but would expect we will see a better value trade when it goes down.

really? smallish RHD that isn't working out for NYR and a struggling Chytil? not sure why we'd want either guy. 

a late 1st is the throw-in we'd expect from any team. We can get pieces that fit our needs better than these two. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We will have to compare that rumored return to what (if Miller is traded) we get this summer.  

I can't see how its lesser value. But assuming Shaw isn't talking out of his hiney then this could be the baseline comparison sure.