The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Hmmm?

And you replied saying the above was a great response? What makes anyone suggest Boeser would sign a 1 year show me deal for less than his QC?  Not going to happen!  He can wait out whether he gets QC'd.

Its actually just a reply wishing.

Strategically, I also think Brocks is both reasonable & likes it here; I see Brock looking at 3 to 5 year deals.  Last year he was a top 20 RW in the league?  This year he had an off year in a contract season.  My guess is they center on 4 or 5 year deals at around $6 mill . his current value.  Maybe try and get a boost based on leverage from his QC, $6.3?   As a UFA I believe he gets a bit higher if not qualified; all fair as he is RFA >> we also have some leverage.

A longer term deal under his QC is probably good business for both parties.  

Not a fan of giving someone a huge contract based on "potential", "now coming into his prime", etc.  That's all.  The Canucks can't afford to be saddled with overpaying players anymore.  The last decade has shown us clearly that being against the cap but not being a contender is not a good business.  So is Brock a player you build a team around?  He's a great scorer, but too one-dimensional at this point to hope that he fulfills his potential.  So yes, I think being cautious with this contract will be super important.

• Cheers 1

On 5/20/2022 at 9:22 AM, higgyfan said:

If Brock continues to play the way he has this past season, the Nucks will never have an A1 PP.  He's supposed to be the

#1 sniper on the team.  Thankfully they still have Pete, but with the possible loss of Miller, the PP ain't looking too good.

the problem with the powerplay setup is.. boeser is never in that prime shooting spot. Miller likes to occupy that spot and pushes boeser further down closer to the goal line.. EP have the entire right side from the blue line all the way to the goal line to work with. Horvat occupies the bumper position. Hughes occupies the blue line from the center to the left side.. and miller takes up the spot where u see guys like stamkos etc the snipers takes 1 timer and Boeser isn't really in an ideal position to shoot..

it's the same when they play 5v5.. miller doesnt' play the center.. he occupies boeser's position so boeser floats further down the towards the goal line.. Miller and boeser are not ideal linemates look at boeser's last 2 months points he only had like 16 points.. but majority of them were from EP assisting or scoring.. only like 3 or 4 points have to do with Miller. the rest were mostly EP or Horvat.

so even with the possible loss of Miller not the end of the world.. instead of miller to hughes to millerwhomever.. it'll just be EP to hughes to EP and setting up boeser for the shot instead..

Edited by wai_lai416
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

the problem with the powerplay setup is.. boeser is never in that prime shooting spot. Miller likes to occupy that spot and pushes boeser further down closer to the goal line.. EP have the entire right side from the blue line all the way to the goal line to work with. Horvat occupies the bumper position. Hughes occupies the blue line from the center to the left side.. and miller takes up the spot where u see guys like stamkos etc the snipers takes 1 timer and Boeser isn't really in an ideal position to shoot..

it's the same when they play 5v5.. miller doesnt' play the center.. he occupies boeser's position so boeser floats further down the towards the goal line.. Miller and boeser are not ideal linemates look at boeser's last 2 months points he only had like 16 points.. but majority of them were from EP assisting or scoring.. only like 3 or 4 points have to do with Miller. the rest were mostly EP or Horvat.

so even with the possible loss of Miller not the end of the world.. instead of miller to hughes to millerwhomever.. it'll just be EP to hughes to EP and setting up boeser for the shot instead..

If Miller is traded, Boeser would go back to his old slot.  And put Garland down low where I think he could do well as he’s pretty shifty.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Not a fan of giving someone a huge contract based on "potential", "now coming into his prime", etc.  That's all.  The Canucks can't afford to be saddled with overpaying players anymore.  The last decade has shown us clearly that being against the cap but not being a contender is not a good business.  So is Brock a player you build a team around?  He's a great scorer, but too one-dimensional at this point to hope that he fulfills his potential.  So yes, I think being cautious with this contract will be super important.

I posted elsewhere a comparable as TJ Oshie.

Very similar goal scoring winger with some charisma. Size, speed, points, goals. Although Oshie had some clutch performances in Olympics, Post Season, Junior. 

Signed at 28 years of age 8 x $5.875 eight years ago. 

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Very similar goal scoring winger with some charisma. Size, speed, points, goals. Although Oshie had some clutch performances in Olympics, Post Season, Junior. 

BB is no TJ oshie

Edited by stawns

On 5/19/2022 at 2:35 PM, J-Dizzle said:

Please stop spreading this nonsense. This stat is trash. If you don't get into puck battles it's easy to have inflated numbers. This stat = 21 won puck battles on 40 attempts. or 42 on 80 but I doubt he engaged 80 times. Do you even watch Brock on what planet do you think you yourself yep elite puck battler there. @48MPHSlapShot don't encourage him.

Canucks' Boeser: 'That injury could have ended my career' - Sportsnet.ca

Edited by hammertime

39 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Please stop spreading this nonsense. This stat is trash. If you don't get into puck battles it's easy to have inflated numbers. This stat = 21 won puck battles on 40 attempts. or 42 on 80 but I doubt he engaged 80 times. Do you even watch Brock on what planet do you think you yourself yep elite puck battler there. @48MPHSlapShot don't encourage him.

this is a good point - what are the raw #'s ? all the tweety says is "500 ev minutes". If Brock won the same actual number of battles as Boone Jenner e.g., I'd be impressed. 

@mll do you know where the puck battle numbers come from?

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Drance is on 650 this morning and he just talked about the way we (the Benning era) over the last decade kept paying for wingers when we should have let them walk or not gotten them in the first place.  It might be best for us to sign Brock to his QO and then trade him at the 2023 TDL (50% retained) as a playoff rental.  That would maximize our return.  Signing him now to any term seems like a very VERY bad idea.  

We need to do a deep dive to the bottom, and get maximum return for any players traded away.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Drance is on 650 this morning and he just talked about the way we (the Benning era) over the last decade kept paying for wingers when we should have let them walk or not gotten them in the first place.  It might be best for us to sign Brock to his QO and then trade him at the 2023 TDL (50% retained) as a playoff rental.  That would maximize our return.  Signing him now to any term seems like a very VERY bad idea.  

We need to do a deep dive to the bottom, and get maximum return for any players traded away.

Are you suggesting a rebuild? 

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Are you suggesting a rebuild? 

I go back and forth between going all in now and rebuilding.  All in now is four years of hoping we can compete with the top clubs.  We have Demko, so it's possible.

Rebuilding means drafting top five four years in a row.  Can't properly rebuild with Demko (he's too good) so after the deep dive we will need a goalie like Demko to win.

With Brock I see no value now.  But at the 2023 TDL (50% retained) he would have a lot of value as a playoff rental.  That's a hard move to make if we keep Miller and are trying to win now.

So which is the best course?  Sign Brock to an extension?  That's an all in now move.  Or he plays on his QO and we trade him 2023 TDL - a rebuilding move?

It just seems, from what Drance was saying this morning, we have been trying for the Benning years to to both at the same time.  And it hasn't come close to working.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I go back and forth between going all in now and rebuilding.  All in now is four years of hoping we can compete with the top clubs.  We have Demko, so it's possible.

Rebuilding means drafting top five four years in a row.  Can't properly rebuild with Demko (he's too good) so after the deep dive we will need a goalie like Demko to win.

With Brock I see no value now.  But at the 2023 TDL (50% retained) he would have a lot of value as a playoff rental.  That's a hard move to make if we keep Miller and are trying to win now.

So which is the best course?  Sign Brock to an extension?  That's an all in now move.  Or he plays on his QO and we trade him 2023 TDL - a rebuilding move?

It just seems, from what Drance was saying this morning, we have been trying for the Benning years to to both at the same time.  And it hasn't come close to working.  

When someone talks about rebuilding I assume they mean the core. After all that's what's being built. Personally I believe this core (Bo Petey Hughes demko) is good enough to win, so I see no need for a rebuild. But Stanley Cup teams are more than just a good core. They're a core surrounded by contributing pieces, backed by good depth. Unfortunately we can't add either of those because Benning cap strapped this team.

JR should be working on moving out bloated contracts and acquiring assets without mortgaging the teams future.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

When someone talks about rebuilding I assume they mean the core. After all that's what's being built. Personally I believe this core (Bo Petey Hughes demko) is good enough to win, so I see no need for a rebuild. But Stanley Cup teams are more than just a good core. They're a core surrounded by contributing pieces, backed by good depth. Unfortunately we can't add either of those because Benning cap strapped this team.

JR should be working on moving out bloated contracts and acquiring assets without mortgaging the teams future.

That's a good point about us having a good core with (Bo, Hughes, Petey, and Demko)

Then any other player (not Pods) should be eligible to be moved to clear cap.  Boeser might be used as the sweetener to dumperoo Myers?  that would clear 12 mil.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I am a bigger fan of Boeser than Drance.  

I believe Brock is a good winger.  Not $7.5 Mill good?  But good if we negotiate in good faith & don't overpay. If Miller plays C? 

Boeser is our best scoring winger.  A legitimate threat to score 30 goals. Most good teams have a guy like Boeser. 

Guess we'll see how good JR & PA are?    

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's a good point about us having a good core with (Bo, Hughes, Petey, and Demko)

Then any other player (not Pods) should be eligible to be moved to clear cap.  Boeser might be used as the sweetener to dumperoo Myers?  that would clear 12 mil.

Yeah going back to the topic of this thread I agree with you that we should be looking at swapping boeser for maximum assets. 

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Yeah going back to the topic of this thread I agree with you that we should be looking at swapping boeser for maximum assets. 

And getting the most out of a Boeser trade could be using him as the sweetener to get rid of Myers. 

Clearing 12 mil would be great.  I wonder if Boeser has enough value to do that though?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No need to dumperoo Myers. He will be off the books soon and we don't have a replacement. do you wanna over pay 30 yearold Manson? 

Just now, Alflives said:

And getting the most out of a Boeser trade could be using him as the sweetener to get rid of Myers. 

Clearing 12 mil would be great.  I wonder if Boeser has enough value to do that though?

I think so. I'm one of those who believe Myers holds value on his own. He's by no means a bargain, but definitely worth the 6m.

I'd take Myers and his contract over OEL and his contract.

30 minutes ago, JM_ said:

this is a good point - what are the raw #'s ? all the tweety says is "500 ev minutes". If Brock won the same actual number of battles as Boone Jenner e.g., I'd be impressed. 

@mll do you know where the puck battle numbers come from?

Only saw that tweet.  InStat's data is not publicly available.  

• Vintage 1

Just now, hammertime said:

No need to dumperoo Myers. He will be off the books soon and we don't have a replacement. do you wanna over pay 30 yearold Manson? 

Depending on what overpaying Manson is?

He is a better defender than Myers.  Does replace the size, which is otherwise not really available on our team.  But you can drop Myers, then not be successful signing Manson?  And our problem becomes worse... 

But we are going to trade some salary this off season.  It is inevitable.  Useful, not perfect defenders seem to be available every year.  David Savard & Kevin Shattenkirk have signed around $4 Mill in successive years. I think we need one, even if we keep Myers!  Cannot afford a Manson? Unless we move  enough to pay him.  I suspect he will sign for what Myers did. Or a sweetheart deal with a contender.