The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The only reasons Boeser would consider it is if he wants a longer term deal now or if he really wants to stay with the Canucks long term.

I doubt he signs here though given the turmoil. Better move for him is to take his QO until becoming a UFA and going where he wants to go.

yeah, that's what i figured he'd do as well. If we were constructed well and are on the rise as a team, then I can definitely see him signing a new deal before his QO. but this organization is a fire tire, nobody trusts anyone to do their job well, let alone do their job period. when that happens, $&!# happens, and people, by nature we are self centered, so it's not surprising that everyone will look out for themselves before anyone else. self preservation at its finest is what we'll be seeing by everyone in the organization, if we're not already witnessing it. 

why francesco hasn't made a move yet is beyond me. it's beyond logic. in fact, it defies it. what could his rationale be that he's waited this long before making a move. if it were any other owner, they'd probably have made a move already. so this is becoming hysterical. and comical. 

4 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

How is this even being discussed?? The last thing I want is Benning making trades at this point from a position of total weakness. Everyone in the league knows he's desperate to save his job. 

yeah. he's not going to make a good trade in his position. he doesn't even have job security. i hope Francesco isn't stupid enough to just allow him to do whatever he wants, cause he's not going to be making smart choices from here on out. if he makes a trade, it'll be to save his own ass, not make the team better. 

clock is ticking. tick tock. tick tock. 

Waiting Patiently GIF by General Hospital

Edited by N4ZZY
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I have no problem tbh with Benning right now IF he replaces Green. 

That’s my exact sentiments. If this team is mostly uncoachable, it’s better to find out now rather than dismissing both GM and coach at the end of the year and realizing the coach makes no difference.  I’d rather waste this year trying things rather than waste next year as well realizing it is the team and blowing it up. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I've been a big supporter of GMJB, but if he trades a guy like Boeser away (a potential 40 goal forward) and puts his eggs in the coach Green basket, I'd call for GMJB's head too.  This would be ridiculous. 

Would you rather Boeser walk for nothing when the team can’t afford to re-sign him? We’ve got 3 D making 20 million combined and 5 forwards making 30 million. A goalie making 5. That leaves 26 million roughly for 14 players... you take 7 for Boeser, that leaves 19 million for 13 players... 

we’re in a really Sh%#y position having cap issuers as a bottom feeder team in the league. If they don’t start performing soon, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them(10 best players) all go, no matter how the fanbase feels about them. 

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Now try to think of 1 player Benning has sold high on.

I am not sure off the top of my head if Boeser can be taken to arbitration. If he can and the team does, he will be gone for sure the next year though. 

BadBranson he sold high on to recoup Pearson atleast? Still a fail to acquire BadBranson to begin with but he salvage it with a player who has contributed for us...that said was a mistake to gift Pearson a 3yr deal during an awful contract year, should have walked away from him but JB never learns hence the mess we are in!

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

BadBranson he sold high on to recoup Pearson atleast? Still a fail to acquire BadBranson to begin with but he salvage it with a player who has contributed for us...that said was a mistake to gift Pearson a 3yr deal during an awful contract year, should have walked away from him but JB never learns hence the mess we are in!

Not sure I would say he sold high. He bought extremely high then sold for a player a bit better.

would you trade what he traded for Gudbranson to get Pearson? If the answer is no, he didn’t sell high.

• Upvote 1

I don't think this news is anything worthy of mention; calls like these get made probably all the time.

That said, i think it's saying something that a trade for players is seemingly considered over the obvious decision to fire Green. Why?  Green obviously hasn't been a fit since the start.

26 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

Would you rather Boeser walk for nothing when the team can’t afford to re-sign him? We’ve got 3 D making 20 million combined and 5 forwards making 30 million. A goalie making 5. That leaves 26 million roughly for 14 players... you take 7 for Boeser, that leaves 19 million for 13 players... 

we’re in a really Sh%#y position having cap issuers as a bottom feeder team in the league. If they don’t start performing soon, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them(10 best players) all go, no matter how the fanbase feels about them. 

If you actually look carefully at the cap situation, Boeser's cap hit won't be a problem.  The problem is the product on the ice.  The systems in place are TERRIBLE.  The PK and PP are brutal.  That screams coaching. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not sure I would say he sold high. He bought extremely high then sold for a player a bit better.

would you trade what he traded for Gudbranson to get Pearson? If the answer is no, he didn’t sell high.

Not saying Pearson at the end of this is a win, but I can see the appeal in Guddy after that playoffs and I do think Pearson is more valuable to the team than might be obvious (although not as a top 6 scoring forward).

In my view it's the players that wasn't traded that are JB's mistakes (Markstrom, Tanev comes to mind) along with the Virtanen resigning. The trades i don't mind overall.

• Cheers 1

I think Boeser could be a top goal scorer in the NHL if deployed properly.

He needs a centreman who can dish the puck and a coach that has better in game strategy than just juggling lines.

Hate to see Benning making any trades until we see a coaching change run its course.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Of course not, the point is he made a $&!#ty trade then moved Guddy who was not a fit here for something of use

43 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

And this is the saddest part. As a team that is supposedly on the rise, how is that we have no cap room? 

Is that not the responsibility of the GM to handle that? 

Benning has handled the cap of this team so poorly it's actually handicapped the Canucks. That's how bad of a GM he is

For the owner to not even comprehend this, is beyond me. I hope the team continues to receive bad press, maybe that'll eventually put pressure on ownership to eventually do something. Pressure from fans, from media, bad record, players being unhappy, eventually, something has to give. There's too much pressure for them to continue to ignore voices all around them calling for heads to roll. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If you actually look carefully at the cap situation, Boeser's cap hit won't be a problem.  The problem is the product on the ice.  The systems in place are TERRIBLE.  The PK and PP are brutal.  That screams coaching. 

If you look carefully at the cap situation, Boeser’s cap hit will absolutely be a problem.

Not only can teams not afford to overpay players, which his QO will certainly do… but you have to look beyond an extremely myopic view of just his contract alone.

We have three of our most efficient contracts up for renewal in Miller, Horvat, and Hoglander.  Each of them will be due a substantial raise just to get to fair market value.  

Overpaying Boeser doesn’t leave room for that without decimating any depth we have.  I don’t know if you noticed, but there aren’t many prospects in the pipeline to give us new cheap and productive players.  That was the entire worry when Benning was throwing around high picks for instant help, once you don’t have a new ELC or two coming in an playing a material role on the team you run out of cap space really fast.

• Cheers 3

i don't see what all the fuss is about. Why keep and pay a player a premium salary who can't skate, won't go to the dirty ares, can't stick handle past a number 8 dman and can't score us that big goal when needed. Send him back to da beauty league where he can float around and score at ease without getting body checked.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

If you look carefully at the cap situation, Boeser’s cap hit will absolutely be a problem.

If we have cap issues there are other players ahead of Boeser you trade or buyout before you move Boeser imo.

Myers 6m, Pearson 3m+, Dickinson 2.65m, Halak 3m (not needed at all, shoulda got a 900k backup) All these guys are overpaid or not a fit under our current coaching scheme