The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Contender to Reset

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Didn't we try to "get out from under the shadow of previous eras" by hiring Torts?  

Sometimes the best thing to do is be patient.  

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You basically added a bunch of former Canucks not experienced enough or suitable for the jobs.

The Sedin era needs to finally end. Bringing them into management was a bad idea from the start. Just keeps the current group in their shadow. Your proposal takes that to next level terrible. 

The Sedins were a massive reason we got Ekman-Larsson and their inputs were all over the acquisitions of Ekman-Larsson, Garland, Poolman, Dickinson, and with shedding cap and sorting out our salary situation.

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The grass is always greener. Look at the players who have come here and suddenly become shadows of what they were elsewhere. It’s a very long list. 

It’s not the time to tear down the roster. It’s time to get competent and experienced people determining the direction to go. That doesn’t mean every former Canuck who might want a job.

These are competent and experienced people. And we have to be realistic. Aquilini owns this team and we know his tendencies. He will turn to the Sedins for opinion of who to get if Benning is fired. Aquilini also hired Linden, helped hire the Sedins, turned to Courtnall for advice, etc. etc.

3 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

Green had no experience in NHL coaching or management when he was hired. Malhotra after this season will have six seasons as a development ->assistant coach in the NHL. 
After what Hansen said about our penalty killing and team in an interview the other day; I think he can handle a little entry associate coach role. Senior Advisor to the GM and Assistant GM is not overly different so the Sedins in that role will be great. Naslund has been a leader of hockey operations and GM with all of Modo Hockey; running it with Peter Forsberg for over ten years now. I think he’ll do just fine.

Ya and Green is a $&!#ty head coach. All the more reason to hire an experienced head coach at this point. Malhotra is not ready to be a head coach. 

So someone saying something about the PK (the players need to do better) qualifies them to be not an assistant but even the next step up associate coach? Sign me up then. 

Assistant GM and advisors to the GM are, in fact, very different roles.

Maybe our search for better management and coaches should extend beyond just the best former Canuck players?

1 minute ago, ZH96 said:

These are competent and experienced people. And we have to be realistic. Aquilini owns this team and we know his tendencies. He will turn to the Sedins for opinion of who to get if Benning is fired. Aquilini also hired Linden, helped hire the Sedins, turned to Courtnall for advice, etc. etc.

Because Aquilini cares about PR more than competence. 

We should avoid becoming like the Oilers we’re where only former players get roles. It leads to what we now see with this team. 

They need to hire the best PEOPLE not the best former Canuck players.

8 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

The Sedins were a massive reason we got Ekman-Larsson and their inputs were all over the acquisitions of Ekman-Larsson, Garland, Poolman, Dickinson, and with shedding cap and sorting out our salary situation.

OEL is our new Schmidt. Neutered offensively by being put in a shutdown role.

You have no idea how much, if any, input the Sedins had on any of that. My guess is next to none. 

Benning had his sights set on OEL for over a year. He was going to get him no matter what. 

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

OEL is our new Schmidt. Neutered offensively by being put in a shutdown role.

You have no idea how much, if any, input the Sedins had on any of that. My guess is next to none. 

Benning had his sights set on OEL for over a year. He was going to get him no matter what. 

Except OEL is very good at whichever role he’s in 

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Except OEL is very good at whichever role he’s in 

Not sure how many 7 mil shutdown dmen a team should want. I would say none. OEL needs to be putting up points to be a net positive. Unfortunately we get a steady diet of Hughes and his one move to cut out from the boards and pass to EP for a non one timer.

OEL is a far more creative offensive player than Hughes especially on the PP. Because he can pass to both sides of the ice and his shot actually hits the net and is hard enough to make opposing teams have to worry about it. 

22 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not sure how many 7 mil shutdown dmen a team should want. I would say none. OEL needs to be putting up points to be a net positive. Unfortunately we get a steady diet of Hughes and his one move to cut out from the boards and pass to EP for a non one timer.

OEL is a far more creative offensive player than Hughes especially on the PP. Because he can pass to both sides of the ice and his shot actually hits the net and is hard enough to make opposing teams have to worry about it. 

That’s a stretch, both have very high offensive IQ. Both players do it differently. .76 PPG is no

joke especially on a team that has struggled to score at times.

I like how we did things a couple games ago. The game OEL scored. Finally ran 2 PP units a minute each. Then for whatever reason Green seemed to change things on the last one. Classic. We should be using both players as assets. We don’t have to have one defencemen that puts up points. That’s on Green. 

11 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The grass is always greener. Look at the players who have come here and suddenly become shadows of what they were elsewhere. It’s a very long list. 

It’s not the time to tear down the roster. It’s time to get competent and experienced people determining the direction to go. That doesn’t mean every former Canuck who might want a job.

And look at the players who’ve come here and not dropped off and/or have gotten better. “It’s a very long list!” And yes it’s time to get experienced people determining the direction to go. Last I checked, M.Naslund, M.Malhotra, and G.Boucher are very very experienced in management and coaching respectfully. It’s nothing to do with just former Canucks wanting a job. But also being realistic. Aquilini runs this team still and he loves turning to old friends Ie. Linden, Courtnall (for advice), the Sedins, etc, etc. Also if Benning is fired the reigns of decision will be placed in the Sedins hands by Aquilini. Very realistic to see them wanting Naslund and Malhotra.

2009-11

Christian Ehrhoff

Dan Hamhuis

Mikael Samuelsson 

Christopher Higgins

Maxim Lapierre

2011-14

Jacob Markstrom

Christopher Tanev

Yannick Weber

Brad Richardson

Zac Dalpe

2014-18

Ryan Miller

Thomas Vanek

Markus Granlund

Derek Dorsett

Tyler Motte

2018-21

J.T. Miller

Jaroslav Halak

Tyler Myers

Tanner Pearson

Justin Bailey

Just now, Devron44 said:

That’s a stretch, both have very high offensive IQ. Both players do it differently. .76 PPG is no

joke especially on a team that has struggled to score at times.

I like how we did things a couple games ago. The game OEL scored. Finally ran 2 PP units a minute each. Then for whatever reason Green seemed to change things on the last one. Classic. We should be using both players as assets. We don’t have to have one defencemen that puts up points. That’s on Green. 

I don’t disagree. If he is going to load up one PP just put both of them on it. Maybe that would actually create more movement. OEL can play the right side and it will allow him to use his shot. 

Although I did like the balanced units and would be ok with that. Have to get Pearson off the PP though IMO. 

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I agree that it would be better to have OEL in less of a shutdown role and with more freedom, especially considering salary as you mention. That said he's been our best player by far IMO and not sure how anyone could come to another conclusion when actually watching the games, and that makes the cap hit a bit of a moot point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

And look at the players who’ve come here and not dropped off and/or have gotten better. “It’s a very long list!” And yes it’s time to get experienced people determining the direction to go. Last I checked, M.Naslund, M.Malhotra, and G.Boucher are very very experienced in management and coaching respectfully. It’s nothing to do with just former Canucks wanting a job. But also being realistic. Aquilini runs this team still and he loves turning to old friends Ie. Linden, Courtnall (for advice), the Sedins, etc, etc. Also if Benning is fired the reigns of decision will be placed in the Sedins hands by Aquilini. Very realistic to see them wanting Naslund and Malhotra.

2009-11

Christian Ehrhoff

Dan Hamhuis

Mikael Samuelsson 

Christopher Higgins

Maxim Lapierre

2011-14

Jacob Markstrom

Christopher Tanev

Yannick Weber

Brad Richardson

Zac Dalpe

2014-18

Ryan Miller

Thomas Vanek

Markus Granlund

Derek Dorsett

Tyler Motte

2018-21

J.T. Miller

Jaroslav Halak

Tyler Myers

Tanner Pearson

Justin Bailey

Wow that’s a pretty compelling list especially in the Benning years. 

JT Miller and no one else that really got any better. 

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

I don’t disagree. If he is going to load up one PP just put both of them on it. Maybe that would actually create more movement. OEL can play the right side and it will allow him to use his shot. 

Although I did like the balanced units and would be ok with that. Have to get Pearson off the PP though IMO. 

Better then Chiasson. I like Pearson but play him like the third liner he is. He’s not going back to that chemistry he had with Bo a couple years ago. He’s a solid player that will chip in once awhile but we should’nt be forcing it like we have over the last year 

Just now, J-P said:

I agree that it would be better to have OEL in less of a shutdown role and with more freedom, especially considering salary as you mention. That said he's been our best player by far IMO and not sure how anyone could come to another conclusion when actually watching the games, and that makes the cap hit a bit of a moot point.

Sorry our best player by far has been Demko. Position players it has been Hoglander. 

44 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Ya and Green is a $&!#ty head coach. All the more reason to hire an experienced head coach at this point. Malhotra is not ready to be a head coach. 

So someone saying something about the PK (the players need to do better) qualifies them to be not an assistant but even the next step up associate coach? Sign me up then. 

Assistant GM and advisors to the GM are, in fact, very different roles.

Maybe our search for better management and coaches should extend beyond just the best former Canuck players?

Malhotra will be acclimated by his second or third season and the core will likely be ready for a cup run at which point. I bet people said the exact same thing about Jon Cooper when he was brought in by Tampa Bay. Besides if you don’t think Malhotra is ready; did you see I brought in Guy Boucher? Make Boucher head coach and Malhotra is direct assistant.

If you read what Hansen actually said it was far more than “players need to be better”. It gave insight that shows he’d be an outstanding coach. The Sedins like I said were a big player in getting Ekman-Larsson, Garland, Poolman, Dickinson, and the cap sorted. They can handled Assistant GM roles. And I gave an option that is a search beyond former Canuck players. It brings in

Guy Boucher and keeps Brad Shaw and Chris Gear.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Sorry our best player by far has been Demko. Position players it has been Hoglander. 

You could make case for Demko, especially earlier in the season. Hogs been good and even great at times but is still inconsistent (great player though and hopefully a bright future). OEL has been great every game though and makes the right play 9 times out of 10 both on O and D. If you don't see that we're just not watching the same games.

3 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

Malhotra will be acclimated by his second or third season and the core will likely be ready for a cup run at which point. I bet people said the exact same thing about Jon Cooper when he was brought in by Tampa Bay. Besides if you don’t think Malhotra is ready; did you see I brought in Guy Boucher? Make Boucher head coach and Malhotra is direct assistant.

If you read what Hansen actually said it was far more than “players need to be better”. It gave insight that shows he’d be an outstanding coach. The Sedins like I said were a big player in getting Ekman-Larsson, Garland, Poolman, Dickinson, and the cap sorted. They can handled Assistant GM roles. And I gave an option that is a search beyond former Canuck players. It brings in

Guy Boucher and keeps Brad Shaw and Chris Gear.

Acclimated in 2 or 3 years? Ya that seems like a good plan after 8 years of hoping a coach will get acclimated.

Cooper actually learned how to coach though unlike Green.

Hansen has never coached anywhere. He is not qualified at this point on a team that needs experienced coaching. Malhotra has been mostly a development/skills coach. 

You have no actual evidence that the Sedins had any input on any moves that were made. 

Sorry, the next Canuck up approach to management will make the Canucks a bigger joke than they already are. Expand the search and hire the best people even if they never played for the Canucks.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Wow that’s a pretty compelling list especially in the Benning years. 

JT Miller and no one else that really got any better. 

Maybe get your eyes looked at then.
Tanner Pearson has a career high in points since coming here and has not dropped off his two-way game. Tyler Myers has been given a tough time and has played no worse than anywhere else and also has used his size here more consistently than ever before. Justin Bailey is coming into his own and is a late bloomer who in an underrated way has improved the speed, size, effort, and puck retrieval ability of the bottom nine depth players. He’s played better here than he ever did in Buffalo and Philadelphia. Jaroslav Halak when called upon has been the best backup goaltender we’ve had since arguably

Cory Schneider. Thomas Vanek played like he was in his prime again while here, was a major influence on Horvat and Boeser, and then netted us Motte. Derek Dorsett led the league in PIMS here, was a top five enforcer, and had career highs in points here while also influencing in a very positive way towards the young players.