The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] JT Miller to Washington Capitals

9 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Solid prop. Figure we might have to add a small plus(?)..I guess an extra prospect if they have a need somewheres.

I'd like to see Miller go where he'll have a shot at glory.

Thank you sir.  Don't think we would need to add here as Miller is having a great year and will be in great demand at the trade deadline.  This could be a trade deadline type of deal, but Washington may go for it now as Backstrom may be out a while longer.  

• Vintage 1

The way I see it is, a 1st rounder and spare parts.  You might say quality spare parts, but still spare parts.   Considering the 1st has a high probably than being higher than the 20th overall we gave up for Miller in the first place, I don't see this trade as a win for us considering Miller's value skyrocketed.

Alexeyev is a 22 years old, former 1st rounder, with no NHL experience and subpar stats in the AHL.  I know Washington is deep all-around but if he was such a top prospect, he would've been giving a chance already.

While Eller is a good 3C, he's also 32 and he would just passed by while we either rebuild on the fly or rebuild completely.  Might as well just sign a UFA instead.

If we trading Miller, I'd rather aim for top 15 1st, even if it has to be top 5 protected or maybe a young bluechip defenseman, RHD preferably.

Edited by timberz21
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

The way I see it is, a 1st rounder and spare parts.  You might say quality spare parts, but still spare parts.   Considering the 1st has a high probably than being higher than the 20th overall we gave up for Miller in the first place, I don't see this trade as a win for us considering Miller's value skyrocketed.

Alexeyev is a 22 years old, former 1st rounder, with no NHL experience and subpar stats in the AHL.  I know Washington is deep upfront, but if he was such a top prospect, he would've been giving a chance already.

While Eller is a good 3C, he's also 32 and he would just passed by while we either rebuild on the fly or rebuild completely.  Might as well just sign a UFA instead.

If we trading Miller, I'd rather aim for top 15 1st, even if it has to be top 5 protected or maybe a young bluechip defenseman, RHD preferably.

Teams with top 15 picks won't be taking for Miller.  Alexyev sounds like a piece we could really use on our blueline as well.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Teams with top 15 picks won't be taking for Miller.  Alexyev sounds like a piece we could really use on our blueline as well.

Maybe not bottom feeders or rebuilding teams, but teams ranked between 6th and 10th spot that want to go all-in at the deadline.  There won't be any certainty, that for sure, but it could end-up anywhere between 10th and 20th overall, which is most likely will be better than Washington's rank.

Edited by timberz21

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lots of Miller proposals and rumours, but the one thing that is missing in all of this is that if he does get traded he needs to go to a contender, as that will allow us the best return on investment.  However, the problem with this is finding a dance partner that can manage Miller's cap hit and trade back a serviceable asset with a similar cap hit PLUS picks and prospects.

After doing some research I realized that a deal with Washington is a possibility and the pieces could fit.  Obviously Washington is in win now mode with Ovechkin and company, so Miller would be an attractive piece for them as a left winger or a centre.  Backstrom is out long term, so Miller could really be a help to them in their top 6.

Here is my proposal:

To Washington:  JT Miller

To Vancouver:  Lars Eller

Michal Kempny

Alexander Alexeyev

2022 1st round pick

Washington gets a player who can slide right in to their top 6 and also play as a 3C.  He will definitely help them over the next 2 years to try and win another cup.

Vancouver gets their 3C in Eller.  He's excellent on faceoffs (over 51%) and can be one of our top PK'ers.  Kempny is just an add on to make the cap work.  He is a UFA in the summer so his cap hit will be off the books.  So we free up almost $2 million in cap space for next year with Eller replacing Miller.  We can use that cap space to add a UFA net summer to help our 4th line.

The exciting part of this trade though is that we get another 2022 1st round pick AND we get a top Russian prospect in Alexeyev.  The big 6'4" 214 pound Russian defenceman shoots left but can play both sides.  I would play him on the 3rd pairing with Hamonic or Poolman and use him as our top penalty killer moving forward.  He is a very good skater for his size and plays an aggressive game as well.  He is a former 1st round pick who was injury prone for awhile and played in the KHL last year.  But all indications are he is completely healthy now and ready to challenge for a spot in the NHL either this year or next year.  At 22 he fits in perfectly with our core and we add another Russian to play with Podzilla and Klimovich next year.

I think this is a fair trade for both teams.  We get a 1st round pick and a top D prospect as well as a 3C for the next 2 years and Washington gets a guy who can help them win another cup or two.

Solid proposal EP.  I especially like how this trade would help us both short and long term. 

One issue that I have with it however is that Eller is already 32 years old.  Canucks should probably be a bit more aggressive in terms of bringing in guys that can help them in the future.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lots of Miller proposals and rumours, but the one thing that is missing in all of this is that if he does get traded he needs to go to a contender, as that will allow us the best return on investment.  However, the problem with this is finding a dance partner that can manage Miller's cap hit and trade back a serviceable asset with a similar cap hit PLUS picks and prospects.

After doing some research I realized that a deal with Washington is a possibility and the pieces could fit.  Obviously Washington is in win now mode with Ovechkin and company, so Miller would be an attractive piece for them as a left winger or a centre.  Backstrom is out long term, so Miller could really be a help to them in their top 6.

Here is my proposal:

Michal Kempny

Alexander Alexeyev

2022 1st round pick

Washington gets a player who can slide right in to their top 6 and also play as a 3C.  He will definitely help them over the next 2 years to try and win another cup.

Vancouver gets their 3C in Eller.  He's excellent on faceoffs (over 51%) and can be one of our top PK'ers.  Kempny is just an add on to make the cap work.  He is a UFA in the summer so his cap hit will be off the books.  So we free up almost $2 million in cap space for next year with Eller replacing Miller.  We can use that cap space to add a UFA net summer to help our 4th line.

The exciting part of this trade though is that we get another 2022 1st round pick AND we get a top Russian prospect in Alexeyev.  The big 6'4" 214 pound Russian defenceman shoots left but can play both sides.  I would play him on the 3rd pairing with Hamonic or Poolman and use him as our top penalty killer moving forward.  He is a very good skater for his size and plays an aggressive game as well.  He is a former 1st round pick who was injury prone for awhile and played in the KHL last year.  But all indications are he is completely healthy now and ready to challenge for a spot in the NHL either this year or next year.  At 22 he fits in perfectly with our core and we add another Russian to play with Podzilla and Klimovich next year.

I think this is a fair trade for both teams.  We get a 1st round pick and a top D prospect as well as a 3C for the next 2 years and Washington gets a guy who can help them win another cup or two.

This is a really good idea. Checks every box needed to try and save the season and contend now and also get futures in a Miller trade. Nice job 

• Upvote 1

I don’t know that Washington bites on this. Not that the value is bad. But they’re currently 4th in the league in goals scored and have an impressive +20 goal differential.  They don’t really need to add a player like a Miller. and this trade creates a hole at 3C by moving Eller.  Seems like a lateral move for them at best. At the cost of a 1st+ 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

And Eller would really help our penalty kill. All in all one of the better proposals recently. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Alexeyev is a 22 years old, former 1st rounder, with no NHL experience and subpar stats in the AHL.  I know Washington is deep all-around but if he was such a top prospect, he would've been giving a chance already.

Eller is not a spare part.  He is a top faceoff man and penalty killer who is signed for 2 more years.  He is an upgrade on anything we have, even Dickinson.  Getting a 3C in UFA is going to be very expensive.  Eller isn't a long term fix, he comes in to replace Miller for the next 2 years as a legit 3C and Pk'er.

As for Alexeyev, he's been injured off an on since he was drafted.  He played very well in the KHL last year and looks to be behind his injury issues.  Washington has good defencemen and are in win now mode, so they don't have time to call up Alexeyev and develop him on the big club.  When Alexeyev played at Red Deer he was coached by Brent Sutter, so he learned alot of good habits.  He is not a lock to make the NHL, but no 22 year old prospect is.  But he has the size, skating and mobility to make it in the NHL and even has an offensive game, as he was almost a point a game guy in junior with Red Deer.

As for the 1st round pick, anyone who trades for Miller will be looking to add a piece to take a run at a cup, so those teams won't be selecting in the top 15 of next year's draft.  And any team who is a top 15 team probably won't want to give up their 1st round pick in a deep draft to get Miller for a couple of years.  

This trade proposal is light years better than the one that has Miller going to Minnesota.  

I like the trade overall. 

Yes we are not better at all by losing Miller, but if playoffs are out of shot then we need to do something. I still think we stick with our core and getting a 1st plus a good defensive prospect is not the worst outcome. Also I agree Eller is not a spare part, he is a solid 3C and will help on our PK for a couple years. Maybe they even extend him for a year or two at a lower cap hit to keep playing in our bottom 6. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Eller is not a spare part.  He is a top faceoff man and penalty killer who is signed for 2 more years.  He is an upgrade on anything we have, even Dickinson.  Getting a 3C in UFA is going to be very expensive.  Eller isn't a long term fix, he comes in to replace Miller for the next 2 years as a legit 3C and Pk'er.

As for Alexeyev, he's been injured off an on since he was drafted.  He played very well in the KHL last year and looks to be behind his injury issues.  Washington has good defencemen and are in win now mode, so they don't have time to call up Alexeyev and develop him on the big club.  When Alexeyev played at Red Deer he was coached by Brent Sutter, so he learned alot of good habits.  He is not a lock to make the NHL, but no 22 year old prospect is.  But he has the size, skating and mobility to make it in the NHL and even has an offensive game, as he was almost a point a game guy in junior with Red Deer.

As for the 1st round pick, anyone who trades for Miller will be looking to add a piece to take a run at a cup, so those teams won't be selecting in the top 15 of next year's draft.  And any team who is a top 15 team probably won't want to give up their 1st round pick in a deep draft to get Miller for a couple of years.  

This trade proposal is light years better than the one that has Miller going to Minnesota.  

IMO a top face off man is a guy like Toews, Horvat and Bergeron who are well above 55%.  

Eller is a career sub 49% on face off but have been trending up the past 5 year to 49, 49, 52, 50 and now 51 this year.  That’s pretty average to me.  Which is ok but that’s not a top face off man to me.

Also Eller has this year and next year under contract.  So that’s less than 2 years of teams control.  If we trade who best scorer, even if Eller fills a hole, we are still going no where this year.  And are we any closer to make the playoffs next Years and if that’s the case, Eller will only be passing by.  I’m not suggesting signing a UFA the caliber of Eller, just a stopgap since we are not contending right now.  If miraculously we are contending next year, you’ll still need to go to UFA the year after that to replace Eller.  So you are just delaying that process one year anyway 

At the deadline there will be at least 20 teams in the hunt for the playoffs.  Some desperate to make the playoffs and teams like Pittsburgh who are currently bubbles teams might have an appetite to go all in.  

Will they end up ranked 10th overall or 20th overall that remains unknown and is Kind of a gamble but still better than Washington as we speaks.  Closer to the deadline we will have a better loons who are those bubble, desperate teams .

• Upvote 1

On 11/24/2021 at 1:45 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Here is my proposal:

Michal Kempny

Alexander Alexeyev

2022 1st round pick

I like this.

I think we could package Myers with Rathbone to unload Myers' contract on someone with space (maybe the rangers?) and get a top 4 defensive d-man back. 

Good PK 3c + replace Myers with someone who can defend well = much better looking team.