The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Nathan Bastian

46 minutes ago, Pears said:

Which what we’re desperately needing, especially after waiving Gadjovich and MacEwen. 

I agree that we need size and toughness, but disagree that either of Gadjovich and MacEwen were the answers.  Neither one of them are making any sort of impact on their new teams, and are both having a hard time getting any sort of consistent minutes.  I'm by no means a Chiasson fan, but I don't think those two would be any better than he has been, all 3 are waiver level players.

He’s not a great fighter at all but he’s definitely physical. Good skater, plays the PK, can play winger or center, bit of a pest as well.

Definitelt an upgrade over Chiasson, Dowling, and Lamikko 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Odd. said:

He’s not a great fighter at all but he’s definitely physical. Good skater, plays the PK, can play winger or center, bit of a pest as well.

If you can add right-handed to that then it's a no brainer

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Pears said:

MacEwen is now being trusted in late game situations in Philly so I think that says quite a bit about Green’s decision making. 

He has been a below replacement level player.  He is playing very limited minutes, with very little impact whatsoever.  1 Fight and not much physicality.  I've watched the Flyers a number of time this season, and MacEwan is not doing much of anything over there.

I get that he was a fan favorite, but he would certainly not do much in fixing our issues.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Nathan Bastian I equate as a similar player to Zack MacEwen but a bad fighter...like significantly worse than Mac.

If the Canucks management couldn't find a role for Gadjovich and MacEwen, I doubt they would see value in Bastian. If they wanted toughness, grit, and consistency you might as well have claimed Clifford when he was on waivers, yet the Canucks let him go. I can see them doing the same here. Clearly this management and coaching staff don't value big bodied forwards who don't bring much to special teams or have a defined role.

Certainly apepars you are correct that he is a bad fighter, a quick YouTube search shows him playing the role of punching bag to Nate Thompson and Brendan Dillon.

Sounds like a Dale Weiss type who is a big guy and willing to drop the gloves but doesn't do much after that.

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Exactly and it’s a lot easier to teach fighting skill than it is to work on skating, PK IQ, and being versatile 

Are we not concerned that, although things seem to be going poorly, we would be remotely interested in grabbing a player off of waivers from a team that a] is below us in the standings and b] was considered spare parts by another club in order for the expanding club to pick him up in the first place? Sounds like a solid AHL'er to me...

2 hours ago, ABNuck said:

Are we not concerned that, although things seem to be going poorly, we would be remotely interested in grabbing a player off of waivers from a team that a] is below us in the standings and b] was considered spare parts by another club in order for the expanding club to pick him up in the first place? Sounds like a solid AHL'er to me...

Seattle and Vancouver are the two jokes of the Pacific Division.

I knew from the very start that Seattle had an awful expansion draft.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Nahhh... don't claim him.... if we passed on Comeau who was the most useful to us in most recent waivers... why bother now?? We are bracing ourselves for a blockbuster soon... let's be patient for another few weeks!!??

There’s a really important difference between the two guys:

Blake Comeau 35 years old

Nathan Bastian 23 years old

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

There’s a really important difference between the two guys:

Blake Comeau 35 years old

Nathan Bastian 23 years old

Comeau is currently the better player of the two. And we can't take on a player on the last year of his $1m contract to fill the gaping hole in our PK because he's 35?

• Vintage 1

Some definitions:

Expansion team players - this is the NHL's equivalent of your storage shed...stuff you aren't currently using, stuck in storage, and some thief broke in and stole some of it.

PTO players - this is the NHL's equivalent of Thrift Store merchandise...given away by the owner but might still have some value, at a greatly reduced price, to a new owner.

Waiver wire players - NHL's equivalent of garbage...and some loser comes along and decides to dumpster dive for free stuff. If you're going to dumpster dive for free stuff, then do it in the high end neighborhoods...don't head to the slums to dumpster dive, some of that stuff has disease...

1 hour ago, ABNuck said:

Some definitions:

Expansion team players - this is the NHL's equivalent of your storage shed...stuff you aren't currently using, stuck in storage, and some thief broke in and stole some of it.

PTO players - this is the NHL's equivalent of Thrift Store merchandise...given away by the owner but might still have some value, at a greatly reduced price, to a new owner.

Waiver wire players - NHL's equivalent of garbage...and some loser comes along and decides to dumpster dive for free stuff. If you're going to dumpster dive for free stuff, then do it in the high end neighborhoods...don't head to the slums to dumpster dive, some of that stuff has disease...

Have you seen our players play lately? Your average waiver wire garbage would be an improvement on some of these guys.

12 hours ago, BCNate said:

I agree that we need size and toughness, but disagree that either of Gadjovich and MacEwen were the answers.  Neither one of them are making any sort of impact on their new teams, and are both having a hard time getting any sort of consistent minutes.  I'm by no means a Chiasson fan, but I don't think those two would be any better than he has been, all 3 are waiver level players.

I was hopeful for Gadjovich being here/making the team, not necessarily for what he would do this season, but for it being a development step for him becoming a solid bottom-6 type of player. As an example/comparable, it took Jannik Hansen five or six seasons as a pro before he started to produce points in any significant sense to compliment his defensive play (yes, he was a better skater). With a bit more time, and some more improvement with his skating, maybe Gadjovich could have become that bottom-6 guy the team needs 

regards,  G.