The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Nathan Bastian

Wish he was better on faceoffs, but honestly, he’s probably no worse than Dickinson or Lammikko, and at least offers a RH option.

Wish he was a better fighter too, but whatever.

I’d be happy with a claim. He skates well for a guy his size, works hard, plays physical, solid two-way, can line up at all three forward positions, and can kill penalties.

What’s not to like?

And waiver claim guys often will have a good first couple games, before regressing to the level of play that initially got them waived. We could use some new blood and a guy who’s happy for the opportunity. Maybe he clicks and it works out long term.

Can’t hurt.

13 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Paraphrasing from the article 

If your team has an abundance of skilled players chances are your gonna need a guy like Nathan.

Hard charging,good in the trenches.

Has had some success on the PK and draw. 

Good to have both in the room and on the ice.

I like what I am reading.

This is the sort of player our team desperately needs.

Edited by Ilunga

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

Paraphrasing from the article 

If your team has an abundance of skilled players chance are you gonna need a guy like Nathan,hard charging,good in the trenches.

Has had some success on the PK and draw. 

Good to have both in the room and on the ice.

I like what I am reading.

This is the sort of player our team desperately needs.

At this stage, would not mind claiming this guy. Couldn’t hurt the locker room, and they need help on the PK, I’m surprised that Benning and his team isn’t claiming more players and waiving more to see what they can get from the waiver wire bin. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Where do the Canucks rank in terms of waiver pickups? And is it static for the duration of the season. Like do the Canucks have one of the first cracks at these guys and if they pick someone do they lose their spot?

5th - ARI  OTT  MTL  SEA  and then VAN

It's based on point percentage on the day.  Till 1 November it was based on last season's standings.  Claiming a player won't affect the order.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

It says C/W I haven’t watched him so not even sure if he’s a viable option as a Center. If he’s good on draws he’s worth the spot as an extra forward at the least we could also use his size.

He's not really a center. He's pretty much what Big Mac was. Except he's an inch taller than Big Mac. Losing Big Mac was a mistake that we could've remedied by claiming this guy. Imo.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Upvote 2

On 11/24/2021 at 12:45 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Bastian is much more well rounded than MacEwen,  He can play all 3 forward positions and can kill penalties as well as be a 4th line grinder and hitter.  MacEwen is a much better fighter obviously but other than that Bastian is a better overall player.

Bastian is a 100x upgrade on Chiasson.  If Green has any sense of morality whatsoever he will admit defeat in the Chiasson experiment and pick up Bastian.

Let's face it Chiasson is still cresting off his numbers in Edmonton, when he played on the pp with Connie and Drai 

He's not going to put up those numbers on our static pp.

Since he brings nothing to the table, then it's time to let him go. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1