The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 24, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Is he actually better than last year?

Despite his +/- rating and being deployed in the offensive zone 70% of his shifts. He leads the team in high danger scoring chances agiainst (10 more than Myers) and scoring chances against (9 more than Myers).

Ya but he was really bad last year so improvement wasn’t that tough.

3 minutes ago, Vancan2021 said:

Don't mind Boudreau but he is a defensive first coach. (Minnesota Wild all those years). 

I personally believe when everything would be going on a cylinders our games would look like 5-3, 4-2, winning. Not a Bruce 2-1 win in shoot out team. 

But if Peewee Herman is available and can stop the locker room soap opera, I'll try anything at this point.  

Boudreau definitely isn’t a defensive first coach. He coached that way in Minny because that’s how the roster was constructed.

From 2007 to 2016 with the Capitals and Ducks his teams were top 10 in goals scored all but one season. That included teams that were first, second, and third in goal scoring.

He definitely knows how to coach offense.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Boudreau definitely isn’t a defensive first coach. He coached that way in Minny because that’s how the roster was constructed.

From 2007 to 2016 with the Capitals and Ducks his teams were top 10 in goals scored all but one season. That included teams that were first, second, and third in goal scoring.

I don't think he's coming here until after the season is done, if the fit is right. 

But I think Green is a goner at this point it's just a matter of time. And then I think Benning is gone if the team misses the playoffs, which is a foregone conclusion at this stage. There doesn't seem to be any life with the players. Like their confidence has been sucked out of them completely. I think OEL and Garland is okay, but that's primarily because they came from a $&!#ty team. 

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I don't think he's coming here until after the season is done, if the fit is right. 

But I think Green is a goner at this point it's just a matter of time. And then I think Benning is gone if the team misses the playoffs, which is a foregone conclusion at this stage. There doesn't seem to be any life with the players. Like their confidence has been sucked out of them completely. I think OEL and Garland is okay, but that's primarily because they came from a $&!#ty team. 

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Every coach is going transition to the teams strength for sure. I'm mean the fire power on the ducks and caps were crazy when he coached them. 

However I believe he would prefer a 1-1 game over a 5-5 game. 

But once again Id have no issues with Bruce coming on board and hopefully have 3-3 games. 

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Boudreau is very good at constructing their style of play and systems based on the strengths of the roster he has to work with. Good coaches understand how to do so and why it’s important. Not so good coaches try to fit players to their system even if it’s a bad fit.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Nah if I am wrong I own it. Most of the time people confuse being wrong with disagreeing with their opinion. 

No, you were wrong. You actually contradicted yourself on the whole media thing. First you supported the media by saying they were 'telling it as they heard it'. Then you contradicted yourself by saying that the media would be boring without the media spinning the truth.

Then when you were called out for it, you spun it like everyone else was misunderstanding what you were saying.

:rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Boudreau is very good at constructing their style of play and systems based on the strengths of the roster he has to work with. Good coaches understand how to do so and why it’s important. Not so good coaches try to fit players to their system even if it’s a bad fit.

so you're saying Green's a bad coach....

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, khay said:

At this point, firing Green and promoting Shaw as interim coach makes the most sense. They don't bleed too much $$$ so Aquillini will accept that proposal.

I don't even care if losing is on Green or on the players. Refusing to make a change is another way of saying let's just continue on with what's going on, that is, to lose.

Then, make minor modifications to the roster and see how things play out.

If we miss the playoffs (very likely at this point), JB is out at the end of the season.

A new GM comes in and hires his own coach (or keep Shaw if he has done well).

If Green leaves, I hope that entire rat pack of him Baumgartner and King leave.

What an atrocious group. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The additions have OEL & Garland have worked - in so far as they have been the pieces we would've hoped for. But the core has underperformed so badly. Pettersson/Horvat/Boeser are supposed to be much better than this.

Reminds me of the Torts year in that the team should be much better but has just underperformed badly.

If they hope to save the season, then it's time for a coaching change.

The core has stunk, no doubt.

But I question what you mean by save the season, as we're pretty far out of the playoff race. They should be looking to see how much of this group they can salvage in general, because the guys look pretty defeated nowadays. If this keeps up I could see guys asking for trades.

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Strong leadership brings a room together and gets them working towards one common goal.

What we’re seeing is weak leadership where everyone is looking around pointing fingers because they don’t have anyone to follow.

They really underestimated the importance of Markstrom, Tanev, and Edler in the room. If we had a strong coach we might have overcome that but he spends more time making excuses than leading the room.

Out of all the coaches available Boudreau probably has the best personality for mending the rifts in the room.

Would love to see Boudreau. 

I've seen people fuss about his playoff record, but at least his teams make the playoffs. 

If we're going to lose games I want to at least be entertained, I want us to score. This is the most boring Canuck team I've watched in years, despite being one of the more talented groups in recent years. 

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The additions have OEL & Garland have worked - in so far as they have been the pieces we would've hoped for. But the core has underperformed so badly. Pettersson/Horvat/Boeser are supposed to be much better than this.

Reminds me of the Torts year in that the team should be much better but has just underperformed badly.

If they hope to save the season, then it's time for a coaching change.

Idk why but I go back in the summer to how Petey said he likes Vancouver but wants to be on a winning team.

At the time I understood his POV but given the situation now it suddenly really irks me. He's supposed to the one of the main guys to make that happen. He shouldn't be saying something like that like an entited brat and then perform the way he's performed.

If anything, he should've stepped it up to truly be one of the top players in the league that deserves that sort of winning environment.

Did this guy over-estimate himself and think it would be a free ride after that big payday he wanted?

He just expects to be on a winning team even when he takes his foot off the pedal? I have no idea how exactly he spent his offseason but I'm sick of his injury excuses.

He clearly didn't try enough, maybe even care enough to improve his game and it shows. 

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1