The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 24, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

1. We have a star player who struggles to keep his balance when skating, and made no noticeable strength, size, or skating improvements during his offseason.. and is on pace for less than 20 goals while getting paid 7.5m/year.

2. We have a coach that has never had success at any level he's coached at (he performed poorly at the AHL level, and poorly at the NHL level). He's made 3 playoff appearances in 9 seasons he's coached. He's presided over the leagues worst PK and one of the worst powerplays, with systems that clearly dont work. He also blends lines on the fly in games, which suggests he's just at the point where he has to make it up as he goes, because he's clueless as to how to improve his team any further. 

3. While we brought in more offensively talented players, they won't score if they have been given no direction or strategy on zone entries or running a successful powerplay. At the same time, to bring them in, we shipped some of our best defensive players (Beagle and Edler were key to our penalty kill). 

4. Our defense core has a lot of offensive talent but because of garbage systems, struggle to exit their own end, and frequently give up high danger scoring chances. Losing Tanev and then Edler makes us far weaker defensively too. 

Until Green is gone, any roster changes are just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. 

Best thing the Canucks can do at this point is fire Green and hire a qualified coach

Hell, I'd take Torts back in a heart beat because he would quickly be able to identify what is wrong with the team.

He was bang on when he said our old core was stale.

He will come in and defend his players if they are playing hard.

He also wont mince words if certain players are playing like crap.

That to me is accountability which this team sorely lacks.

Green made his bed in preseason when he demonstrated there was no accountability on this team when he got rid of Gadj, Juolevi, Lockwood.

If those guys made it over vets, this gives the rest of the team a heads up.  Play well or someone will take your spot.

Instead he gifted time to AHL fodder in hopes that their experience in the league will work out better rather than hungry kids who showed well in camp.

If our staff already sets the standard for zero accountability, what does that mean for the players?

There is no way Torts would be ok watching this debacle.

Our team needs a fricking defibrillator because our pulse is pretty much non existent.

If we dont have the leadership within the team to do it, we need a coach that can.

• Vintage 1

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Well, let’s hope so. But at the end of the day, it’s always going to be about the money. 

A large established fanbase IS money :)

Look how hard he fights to keep the Coyotes in Arizona or the Panthers in Florida even when they had four digit attendances. The NHL wouldn’t approve a Canucks relocation outside of something like Rogers Arena accidentally imploding.

The Canucks aren’t going anywhere (literally and figuratively it seems).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Best thing the Canucks can do at this point is fire Green and hire a qualified coach

Hell, I'd take Torts back in a heart beat because he would quickly be able to identify what is wrong with the team.

He was bang on when he said our old core was stale.

He will come in and defend his players if they are playing hard.

He also wont mince words if certain players are playing like crap.

That to me is accountability which this team sorely lacks.

Green made his bed in preseason when he demonstrated there was no accountability on this team when he got rid of Gadj, Juolevi, Lockwood.

If those guys made it over vets, this gives the rest of the team a heads up.  Play well or someone will take your spot.

Instead he gifted time to AHL fodder in hopes that their experience in the league will work out better rather than hungry kids who showed well in camp.

If our staff already sets the standard for zero accountability, what does that mean for the players?

There is no way Torts would be ok watching this debacle.

Our team needs a fricking defibrillator because our pulse is pretty much non existent.

If we dont have the leadership within the team to do it, we need a coach that can.

There's 4 players I genuinely feel really bad for:
Miller, Demko, OEL, Garland. They deserve better. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

He was one who relocated a few teams, Winnipeg and Quebec then ultimately Atlanta relocated back to Winnipeg but damage has been done to Canadian markets for a long time, no cup in almost 30 years and this is his legacy.   Keeping in mind, Canucks was the best team and they fixed the Cup final with the refereeing and suspension and allowed Bruins to get away with so many dirty plays.  Th is is His legacy on how the treatment toward the Canadian teams in general, not just the Canucks.

The NHL seems to be vehemently against relocation these days unless it’s a last resort.

Though I guess if they changed their stance once, they could again.

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, I also hated his comments this off-season. But if he thought that things would be easy for him moving forward, then this season is some major humble pie. He’s under contract. He’s Canucks property until he’s not. 

But you’re right. He’s got to put in the work. If he wants to be a part of a winning team, maybe he’s got to see himself as part of the solution and not demand that he be “given” a winning team. Pay your dues. Whatever happened to hard work, and being a part of a team, and creating something special? Has that breed of players just gone with this generation? 

I’m honestly asking. I hope Petey gets time to reflect on his own attitude, because I still &^@#ing love him as a player (well, not with the current way he’s been playing). But if he has entitlement issues, then, well, might be best to part ways while his value is still high (if he can get back to his old ways). 

I think his atttitude definitely needs a check but Green is not the one to give it to him

Petey is an intelligent great hockey player and I have no doubt he can be again. He needs to buy in but I can't see him trusting Green to buy in with him at the helm.  I think the problem with Petey is that he's got this quiet confidence where he thinks he knows best and he's probably already decided Green isn't the guy.  This at the end of the day is the rght call as Green definitely isn't the guy but it also shows his immaturity in that he has an issue with following orders even if its for the ake of the team.

Just now, EmilyM said:

The NHL seems to be vehemently against relocation these days unless it’s a last resort.

Though I guess if they changed their stance once, they could again.

It’s a multibillion dollar business. 

If there’s a better market than Vancouver, Bettman would relocate. Owners be damned. 

Just now, coolboarder said:

He was one who relocated a few teams, Winnipeg and Quebec then ultimately Atlanta relocated back to Winnipeg but damage has been done to Canadian markets for a long time, no cup in almost 30 years and this is his legacy.   Keeping in mind, Canucks was the best team and they fixed the Cup final with the refereeing and suspension and allowed Bruins to get away with so many dirty plays.  Th is is His legacy on how the treatment toward the Canadian teams in general, not just the Canucks.

Bettman was a commissioner for the MLB, prior to NHL was he not? 

He is definitely pro USA, but he is not dumb enough to remove another Canadian market until the bitter end. 

Wow look at the pacients with the Coyotes. 

Not a huge fan of Gary, but he did a killer job during the pandemic. To the point where NHL was the envy of all the major sports markets. 

His boos are even lessening. 

On that note just because I said he isn't dumb enough to approve a Canadian team sale to a us market, doesn't mean he doesn't want to. 

Pretty sure he would love an all American market. 

He would have a stroke if it was a Calgary or Winning vs Ottawa Stanly final. 

One America, one day lol

Just now, N4ZZY said:

It’s a multibillion dollar business. 

If there’s a better market than Vancouver, Bettman would relocate. Owners be damned. 

Maybe if there was a bigger market in Canada, but a large unestablished market in the US is still less tantalizing than staying in Vancouver. And besides, many franchises would be considered first for relocation before a big Canadian market. 

Nothing is impossible, but the Canucks won’t go anywhere unless something crazy happens.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think his atttitude definitely needs a check but Green is not the one to give it to him

Petey is an intelligent great hockey player and I have no doubt he can be again. He needs to buy in but I can't see him trusting Green to buy in with him at the helm.  I think the problem with Petey is that he's got this quiet confidence where he thinks he knows best and he's probably already decided Green isn't the guy.  This at the end of the day is the rght call as Green definitely isn't the guy but it also shows his immaturity in that he has an issue with following orders even if its for the ake of the team.

Just curious, because ive seen it said a few times, why do people think Petey is not following Green's orders?

To me it just looks like Petey is playing... bad... He's unstable on his skates, he makes poor decisions with the puck and causes turnovers at bad times. To me it just looks like a player that came into the league incredibly talented and hasn't felt like he has to work to get better. Maybe this year will be the wakeup call for him. 

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Have trouble following orders? This is a team game. Is this his way of protesting against Green? Cause it seems like that’s what the team is doing, and management isn’t either taking notice, or they’re too dumb to take notice. 

4 minutes ago, Vancan2021 said:

Bettman was a commissioner for the MLB, prior to NHL was he not? 

He is definitely pro USA, but he is not dumb enough to remove another Canadian market until the bitter end. 

Wow look at the pacients with the Coyotes. 

Not a huge fan of Gary, but he did a killer job during the pandemic. To the point where NHL was the envy of all the major sports markets. 

His boos are even lessening. 

On that note just because I said he isn't dumb enough to approve a Canadian team sale to a us market, doesn't mean he doesn't want to. 

Pretty sure he would love an all American market. 

He would have a stroke if it was a Calgary or Winning vs Ottawa Stanly final. 

One America, one day lol

Don’t think it’ll ever happen. There are markets like Toronto and Montréal that won’t ever move from Canada. Thank God, not that I love those teams. 

But moving Edmonton (now that they have McDavid), or Vancouver would be hard. I can see Ottawa moving one day from here to a US market. And Québec getting a team back? I think that’s full of horse$&!#. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Have trouble following orders? This is a team game. Is this his way of protesting against Green? Cause it seems like that’s what the team is doing, and management isn’t either taking notice, or they’re too dumb to take notice. 

I mean.. the only indication ive seen of the team rebelling against the coaches was when King drew up a plan on his whiteboard a few games back, and both Garland and Boeser shook their heads and very obviously were in disagreement. And in fairness to the players, they've spent a long time following Green, Baumgartner, and King's systems and how much good has it done?

Realistically though, it just looks like they're playing the same system they were before, following orders from Green and co. But with less heart because they know its a waste of their effort. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, eeeeergh said:

I mean.. the only indication ive seen of the team rebelling against the coaches was when King drew up a plan on his whiteboard a few games back, and both Garland and Boeser shook their heads and very obviously were in disagreement. And in fairness to the players, they've spent a long time following Green, Baumgartner, and King's systems and how much good has it done?

Realistically though, it just looks like they're playing the same system they were before, following orders from Green and co. But with less heart because they know its a waste of their effort. 

Then a coaching change is probably inevitable. 

Green can take King and Baumgartner with him, because we don’t want them around. New coaching staff all around. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Pretty sure soldiers wouldn't put away there rifles in mid battle, because they don't agree with the Sargent. 

Obviously comparing war to sports is, well no comparison, but you know where I'm going.