The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 24, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

100% this is the way to go

Bring in Rutherford let JR assess

the roster and coaching staff for rest of season and let him fix it for next season.

Surely there are better options than Rutherford. I thought he was a disaster in both Carolina and Pitt. 

most important thing right now is to ask the right questions:

1. what are the reasons for getting scored on more often than other teams after turnovers?

2. why is the team struggling with the pace of opponents , as Travis said in his press conference after the game in Buffalo and the game in Pittsburgh

3. why is Green shuffling forward lines each and every game - chemistry is key to create scoring chances and scoring goals  - ?

4. why isn't the PP clicking?

5. wonder if some of the players are working with a mental coach in order to get their mindset right?

7 hours ago, coolboarder said:

He was one who relocated a few teams, Winnipeg and Quebec then ultimately Atlanta relocated back to Winnipeg but damage has been done to Canadian markets for a long time, no cup in almost 30 years and this is his legacy.   Keeping in mind, Canucks was the best team and they fixed the Cup final with the refereeing and suspension and allowed Bruins to get away with so many dirty plays.  Th is is His legacy on how the treatment toward the Canadian teams in general, not just the Canucks.

Revised history or at least misinterpreted. It was Bettman who brought the salary CAP in which saved Canadian NHL teams. Some revenue sharing. It was Bettman who steadily increased league revenues which benefited owners and players. On the whole I think he has done a good job. The last TV broadcast contracts to the USA market will bring many millions to all NHL cities. 

Does Bettman encourage game management or playoff results? I worry that is the case. All pro sports run that risk as billions of $’s as the prize. You mentioned 2011 but I suggest 1994 was even worse. The idea of Messier and the Rangers winning a CUP over some no name franchise in Western Canada was to sweet to pass on.

• Vintage 4

19 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

13 game road trip or something like that to start the year is a REAL tough start...I know some here complain about our road schedule, but what the NYI started the year with plus injuries/Covid I think? 

They do have an experienced NHL coach, who should be able to get them out of it and turn things around

Lol.   Well guess we will find out...won't we?   Maybe they will fire their coach ... and we can hire him ... by some miracle. 

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, rekker said:

Eye test, Hughes looks better defensively. To be honest though, it's such a mess it's tough to really evaluate any one player. It just an ffnn mess. 

You might want to get your eyes check, then.

Hughes is actually on pace to give up more scoring chances than last year. 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Revised history or at least misinterpreted. It was Bettman who brought the salary CAP in which saved Canadian NHL teams. Some revenue sharing. It was Bettman who steadily increased league revenues which benefited owners and players. On the whole I think he has done a good job. The last TV broadcast contracts to the USA market will bring many millions to all NHL cities. 

Does Bettman encourage game management or playoff results? I worry that is the case. All pro sports run that risk as billions of $’s as the prize. You mentioned 2011 but I suggest 1994 was even worse. The idea of Messier and the Rangers winning a CUP over some no name franchise in Western Canada was to sweet to pass on.

Yes.  They gave them an extra day.   We had them on the freaking ropes...Messier tried to win the cup by taking out Linden.     That 94 team was the best team we've ever had by far come the post season.   Take the 2011 team, transport them to the same era, same rules, and the 94 team would have destroyed them by game 3.   Sedins would have been a non-factor and Kesler would have been gone after game 2.   It was big, mean and skilled.   I believe we'd have also destroyed the Bruins from 2011 but it would have taken a couple more games.   Lucic was around when enforcers still were but didn't fight many.   And Gino and Antoski would have had him running away after a game or two (and yes i know Gino lost his spot to the better skater).   Antoski would have done well against Chara too.   The build up in NYR was worse then fans supporting Boston in 2011, the league did everything they could to make sure we didn't win.   Including a stupid high stick rule at the time when they ejected Bure (lost the game)...and making sure that the NYR had a rest day.   Thomas wouldn't have beat Bure.  Or Linden for that matter, plus we'd have run him enough times to take him off the game.   And the Bruins weren't as tough as every single team we beat on the way either. 

• Vintage 3

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

I'm just hoping Green lasts until the Ottawa game so i can walk down to the bench and thank him for his service first hand.    Going to yell out things only he'd know about Castlegar to get his attention during the game - look for a good old fashion Travis Green "f!ck off" or something like that maybe i can even get a smile and a conversation from him, that's if the security lets me get that far.  

I saw what Valk said .... and agree with the other comments about how Green was definitely a hard working player - and coach (one of the reasons he got the big job in the first place).    Change is needed something is wrong.   And it for sure needs to start with a solid hockey mind at the top - President Aqua isn't what the team needs.  A real president to play interference with a new GM would be a great start.    And unfortunately the bubble magic dust has run out on Green too.   

Yell that he was only good enough for the Rebels and not Spokane Chiefs. Not sure but I think he had a year with the Junior SmokeEaters too. If the play continues like last night I doubt he makes it thru the road trip. One of the worst efforts of the season. I believe in process and don’t have a problem with a team struggling but there is a point when the downside risks become to high. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, shiznak said:

You might want to get your eyes check, then.

Hughes is actually on pace to give up more scoring chances than last year. 

He started well. He looked way better to start the year. But I really can't judge Hughes when he has a baffoon a coach and a tire fire of a team around him. 

• Cheers 1

I gotta admit. I'm starting to mirror the team in terms of how I watch the game. 

I never watch the game live and just pvr it otherwise I risk losing 3 hrs of my evening to watch something that makes my blood boil. 

I watch until opposition is up 2 goals. 

I then start skipping every 30 seconds until a big play happens or Canucks score. If opposition is up 3 goals I skip to last 10 minutes of the 3rd.

If Canucks are still down by 2 or more, I shut it off. 

Basically, I show up for 20 min just like the team. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

most important thing right now is to ask the right questions:

1. what are the reasons for getting scored on more often than other teams after turnovers?

2. why is the team struggling with the pace of opponents , as Travis said in his press conference after the game in Buffalo and the game in Pittsburgh

3. why is Green shuffling forward lines each and every game - chemistry is key to create scoring chances and scoring goals  - ?

4. why isn't the PP clicking?

5. wonder if some of the players are working with a mental coach in order to get their mindset right?

I'm curious where you expect the answers to come from?

1. The puck goes in our net a lot more 

2. Other teams are faster 

3. Changing lines cause nothing is working

4. Nothing is working

5. :picard: 

Just now, CanucksJay said:

I gotta admit. I'm starting to mirror the team in terms of how I watch the game. 

I never watch the game live and just pvr it otherwise I risk losing 3 hrs of my evening to watch something that makes my blood boil. 

I watch until opposition is up 2 goals. 

I then start skipping every 30 seconds until a big play happens or Canucks score. If opposition is up 3 goals I skip to last 10 minutes of the 3rd.

If Canucks are still down by 2 or more, I shut it off. 

Basically, I show up for 20 min just like the team. 

I got wasted and cried myself to sleep

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

He started well. He looked way better to start the year. But I really can't judge Hughes when he has a baffoon a coach and a tire fire of a team around him. 

This isn’t a coach problem. Hughes will never be good defensively, because of his small stature. He isn’t able to push guys out of the way in front of the net or get into position. This is why you rarely see him play in front of the net and always playing near the half boards. Why is that, you see the forward group always chasing and hemmed in our zone, discombobulated? It’s because they need to cover for him.

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, Ajax- said:

I'm curious where you expect the answers to come from?

1. The puck goes in our net a lot more 

2. Other teams are faster 

3. Changing lines cause nothing is working

4. Nothing is working

5. :picard: 

1. Baumgartner is not qualified to coach the defence and is causing our players to be confused in their own zone.

2. Adjustments are not being made to counter opponents with good positioning and quick puck movement.

3. Green doesn't have any form of adjustment besides shuffling the lines, so no one has any idea what their linemates will do.

4. Still not moving their feet enough.  This can be fixed by replacing King with a coach who is qualified to coach at the NHL level.

5. Would be useless when Green is doing his best to destroy the team's confidence.

• Cheers 1