The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Time for Major Changes in CanuckLand

Miller9

As a long time Canucks fan (who lived through the 80's with this team) I can sympathize with any and all fans new and old. 

Its a very complicated issue we face now because this team is clearly underperforming. The roster JB put together is certainly better that this, it should be a competitive group, and one good enough to at least be in the hunt for a playoff spot, I think all can agree with that statement.

The issue is, our top 3 players are not playing with any fire, confidence, and thus output (Petey, Boeser and Bo). No teams in a cap world can survive that way. The question the becomes, what is the reason? Is it the coach? Is it a change in player mentality (lost the will to compete, become apathetic), is it a problem in the room, is it too much pressure for young players, is it all of the above, and more?

Until management and ownership know the real issues, it will be hard to solve them. I do think changes need to be made throughout the organization irrespective of how much people like players, coaches, management etc. Its been 8 years of losing and this season is realistically another write off. In order to make the playoffs the Canucks will have to play around .650 hockey all the way in, and let's be real, this team on paper should be close to that, on the ice it's clear they are not. So what would a smart ownership group do (cough cough)....In my mind, this year, makes or breaks the Canucks for the next decade, if they make the wrong moves, we are sunk and go through what we just went through. If they are strategic, honest with themselves, and objective,and make HARD decisions, maybe we pull off a NYR quick rebuild, but THAT is what is needed....here's are my thoughts.

Green has to go. His record is as bad as Willie's, I am not sure many realize this, or the media. He has this aura of some great coach, his record as a fact says otherwise and he has had teams much better than Willie. Not to defend Willie, because he was not a great coach, but why is Green constantly given a pass as though he is better than his record? He is not.

Benning has had 8 years. I believe he is the second longest tenured Canucks GM, behind only the mighty Quinn. That is ridiculous given his record, errors that have cost ownership alot of money, etc. He's had his run, its time to move on.

The issue now becomes, typically you don't want to replace your coach and GM in season. Coach I get, but a new GM will also want to choose his coach? 

We need to move players out and these could be significant trades, and probably need to be, see my views below on this. Benning CANNOT be in charge of this. He's shown a propensity to not make good trades and if we are going to move crown Jewels, as I think we need to, we need someone who doesn't screw up on trades.

Trades. Hear me out, this is not because I think these players "suck", its because we need a change, and this core clearly is not getting it done. We have a choice, watch Bo and Boeser walk because they are clearly tired of losing, or decide to reap the benefits of two great players via trade and quickly rebuild. I don't know what those trades look like but it needs to be done. Perhaps its Petey and Boeser but....

Why Bo? I love Bo Horvat, he competes, he cares, but he's not an inspirational leader. Miller is. Miller competes hard every night, you see it. We have been playing awful since the bubble and where is Bo? Where is he when players take liberties on our small guys? Why is he not competing the way we know he can? And guess what, the TEAM NEEDS THAT PLAYER AND THAT LEADERSHIP. Something is off with him. Perhaps its the pressure, perhaps its covid, having a kid, changes mentally that made him realize hockey isn't the most important thing, but whatever it is, I think we can all agree, despite his goal tonight, Bo Horvat has not been leading this team the way he should. I remember CRAP, teams that had Linden, Smyl, Naslund, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa and even the Twins, and one thing you could always say about those guys, was dammit they played their heart out every night AND most importantly, when the team needed them to step up and lead, they did. What that did was tell every other player, you can't be a passenger. Bo is a passenger, and we have alot of other passengers. That's sadly reality.

We saw what we needed from a Captain in the playoff bubble with Bo, we haven't seen it since. You can't strip a captain of his C, but sadly he is not the captain we need. Miller is. Something about this city, but it needs an emotional, inspirational leader. Bo is a hard worker, he plays hard, he is not a captain. If this continues, who's to say he re-signs here. We are at risk of losing him regardless as a UFA in a year. A very strategic smart decision needs to be made on Bo, as hard as it may be as a trade of player like him, could reset this franchise very quickly.

Boeser. He's due 7.5 mil as a qualifying offer. He's not worth that. I love Boeser, he's a character guy, he cares, but he's inconsistent, his skating is average at best, and he's injured alot. He has a great brand around the league, as with Bo, immense value can be attained from trading him. 

Petey? I have no idea what to do with him. He's not the same player we had, something is off with him. It feels like he is sulking, and he's not competing the way he was in his rookie year. It seems he wants to avoid contact and not get hurt. 

This sounds like a tear down and hell and I'll probably get attacked but the reality is, we're going to risk losing Bo anyways, Boeser isn't worth the 7.5 and if you can fix other areas (RD, bring in another center but younger than Bo) and bring in draft picks for 2 tremendous drafts, we could quickly rebuild like the Rangers did. Let's not forget the talent of the players at the top of the next 2 drafts. I am not a 'tanker', I am an objective person that sees a very dysfunctional team and a team that has only made the playoffs 2x in 8 years.

There is a problem with this mix, and its solution is not tinkering at the margins in my view, its a major change. The problem is, who can we trust to take that on? Not Benning.

I hate saying this because I love these players, I love this team, but the way this group lacks compete is not only on the coach, its on the professionals on the ice as well. This isn't a slump it's a pattern when its been 8 years.

1- Fire Green

2- Trade Boeser

3- Trade Bo or JT(evaluate these over 2-3 mos)

The returns should be primarily focused on youth/back end.

If we're badly out after ny's, deal another vet or two for picks.

Replace JB in summer.

Relax folks. Catch up on odd jobs, hobbies & keep a lousy season in the peripheral view.

To devote one's heart to a lifeless team is almost akin to necroph*lia! Take a break...

• Like 1

1. Fire Green, Baumer, and King. Name Shaw as interim coach, let Shaw bring in assistants. Maybe even Trent Cull from Utica as an assistant coach.

2. Make minor modifications in the bottom 6 and the bottom pairing defence.

3. Let things play out until the TDL. If out of the playoffs, trade Miller for prospect + draft pick. 

4. If no playoffs, fire JB and the AGM. Hire a new GM, he hires his own coach.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, khay said:

1. Fire Green, Baumer, and King. Name Shaw as interim coach, let Shaw bring in assistants. Maybe even Trent Cull from Utica as an assistant coach.

2. Make minor modifications in the bottom 6 and the bottom pairing defence.

3. Let things play out until the TDL. If out of the playoffs, trade Miller for prospect + draft pick. 

4. If no playoffs, fire JB and the AGM. Hire a new GM, he hires his own coach.

I start the opposite.  Fire JB  Put in new executives.

Give them chance to bring in their coach and gives them time to evaluate team before the deadline.

I look at this team and see a tonne of money on wingers.  The bigger wingers are soft, the tougher wingers are small, this needs adjustment.

Our number one centre is probably best served on wing which leaves us needing a 1st line centre, a third line centre and probably 4th as well.  At least two of which need to be right shots.  Then there is the D.  D needs rebalancing and we still need a number one right D.

If I look at an organization and say they need three centres including number one and a number one right D, then I see a team that needs to be rebuilt and really needs a top pick.

Unfortunately it will be hard to win the race to the bottom though we are doing strikingly well at it, and even harder fo us specifically to win the draft lottery.

18 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I start the opposite.  Fire JB  Put in new executives.

Give them chance to bring in their coach and gives them time to evaluate team before the deadline.

I look at this team and see a tonne of money on wingers.  The bigger wingers are soft, the tougher wingers are small, this needs adjustment.

Our number one centre is probably best served on wing which leaves us needing a 1st line centre, a third line centre and probably 4th as well.  At least two of which need to be right shots.  Then there is the D.  D needs rebalancing and we still need a number one right D.

If I look at an organization and say they need three centres including number one and a number one right D, then I see a team that needs to be rebuilt and really needs a top pick.

Unfortunately it will be hard to win the race to the bottom though we are doing strikingly well at it, and even harder fo us specifically to win the draft lottery.

You can let the new management search for a coach with Shaw as the interim coach.  Allowing Green to cause further damage needs to be prevented.

I will have to say that this situation might be even worse than 1997-1998.  Atleast in 97-98, Pavel Bure rediscovered his game after having been injured for two seasons.  Keenan also brought in Bertuzzi and McCabe (Sedins) which solidified our future.  

This team is a complete mess.  No one in the world could have predicted that Petey and Brock would literally forget how to play NHL calibre hockey overnight.  Like what the AF.  Just makes no sense.

9 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

1- Fire Green

2- Trade Boeser

3- Trade Bo or JT(evaluate these over 2-3 mos)

The returns should be primarily focused on youth/back end.

If we're badly out after ny's, deal another vet or two for picks.

Replace JB in summer.

Relax folks. Catch up on odd jobs, hobbies & keep a lousy season in the peripheral view.

To devote one's heart to a lifeless team is almost akin to necroph*lia! Take a break...

Boeser won’t get you anything right now.  It’s why teams are calling on him......they are trying to purchase him for pennies on the dollar.

Keep Boeser, and then qualify him at 7.5 million on a 2 year deal to see if he gets his game back.  Horvat and Miller will fetch you two elite prospects.  That, combined with our tank (which would land us a Shane Wright or a Conor Geekie), would go a long way in replenishing our prospect pool.

16 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I will have to say that this situation might be even worse than 1997-1998.  Atleast in 97-98, Pavel Bure rediscovered his game after having been injured for two seasons.  Keenan also brought in Bertuzzi and McCabe (Sedins) which solidified our future.  

This team is a complete mess.  No one in the world could have predicted that Petey and Brock would literally forget how to play NHL calibre hockey overnight.  Like what the AF.  Just makes no sense.

Honestly, I would have them block shots in a 3rd line checking role at this point.

If you can't score, contribute in other ways. 

What better way than to blocking shots.

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

to NJ: Brock Boeser and Jack Rathbone

to VAN: Damon Severson and Michael McLeod

Send them to Montreal

Boeser and Rathbone for Anderson and Edmunson, both big and intimidating on the ice, and they use their size. 

• Like 1