The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The first domino to fall

Rate this topic

73 Percent

The first domino to fall  

148 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Green used to be all smiles before, even after bad calls on the ice or even losing games. Taking everything so lightly, because he knew Jimbo and the owners had his back, and he had stars like Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes to rely on - or blame if things went sideways.

The smiles have been replaced by bags under his eyes, and he's unable to figure this out. The losing continues, now he's punishing Pettersson with demoted minutes. The young guys aren't going to want to play for this team if this is their coach. He really doesn't know what he's doing.  The players are frustrated and trying to coach themselves by the looks of it.    

What a fricken disaster Mr. Aqualini. You should be embarrassed.

It sure is a disaster.... the longer it goes on, makes me think there is a freeze on everything and a whole new management team coming

The GM needs to go first, there’s no question or doubt about that. No one should have confidence in him hiring our next coach, not after what we’ve seen from the coaches he’s hired. And absolutely no one should want him making a trade out of desperation to keep his job, and any trade he makes will be just that. Hire a new GM, let him make his assessments on a coaching staff and move forward there himself and let him make any roster decisions as they won’t be as short sighted as JBs tenure. 

I don’t think that’s what will happen, but it should. 

The first domino to fall should be Green. When should it happen? Two weeks ago.

Obviously management and the roster need complete overhauls as well, but as of right now Green is one doing real time damage to our players. 

What will be the first domino to fall? At this point I have a terrible feeling that it will be a trade. Ownership seems intent on keeping Benning around as long as possible, and Benning seems intent on keeping Green around as long as possible. I have no idea why. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I have a strong feeling a trade will happen before a firing.

I sure hope not. I’d hate to trade a valuable asset for anything to help the “now”, when it’s already clear we need to focus on “later”.

And I’d sure hate to trade a young player that has only played under Travis Green and Willie Desjardins. Who knows if they will vastly improve under a real, established, NHL coach who knows how to win?

Hopefully the Aquilini family takes the Canucks away from Francesco and let's Roberto run it for a while. Let Frankie go play in the blueberry fields instead. Someone needs to have the balls and gumption to scorch the earth on the organization. Fire Benning, Weisbrod, Green, Bumgarden, King, and start anew. 

Benning is incompetent and shouldn't be allowed to make a single move regarding the roster anymore. Let him sail off to Chiarelli Island. 

• Cheers 2

Would not surprise me if FA is now ok with tanking to pick up a very high draft pick that can then hopefully slide into the line up in a top 6/4 position on an ELC next year.  Considering all the cash expenditures under JB, and with Bo, BB and TJ all coming due, there is just no clear cut way to relieve cap space for others and keep anyone who wants to re-sign here. 

I think what we’re seeing is the dregs of a failed plan where allocation of funds is now exhausted and this is the only financially feasible way forward to address all future needs.

The whole thing is a catastrophic failure that has cemented JB as a lame duck GM, TG and co as lame duck coaches, and even some of the roster as lame duck players (especially those going forward into contract years). No wonder there is angst in every aspect of this team. 

The rebuild has already begun behind closed doors methinks, but won’t be sold or communicated to the fans because of the backlash. 

It’s why Green has not been canned in what should be the most glaringly obvious initial decision. 

This is all about cap and dollars, imho 

Edited by RWJC

F*ck me, I hope to God the coach goes first.

I will seriously question my fandom if we trade one of Brock/Miller before a new coach. That would actually break me.

Even us watching the Canucks on TV can see the awkwardness between Green and the room. How can our GM & Owner not see?!?!?

If we do bomb out for a top 5 pick, I can also envision trying to trade that pick for 1st overall (Wright - franchise #1 C) with a player like Klimovich or Boner and our 1st and another pick, likely a future 2nd, offered up. 

I’d hate to lose a Klimovich but that’s what I’d be doing as GM if this season amounts to a tank job. 

Just now, RWJC said:

If we do bomb out for a top 5 pick, I can also envision trying to trade that pick for 1st overall (Wright - franchise #1 C) with a player like Klimovich or Boner and our 1st and another pick, likely a future 2nd, offered up. 

I’d hate to lose a Klimovich but that’s what I’d be doing as GM if this season amounts to a tank job. 

Our prospects aren't worth much. Hell the majority of our players aren't worth much in a trade. 

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

"If we bomb?"

That's like the dumb and dumber scene "so your saying there is still a chance?"  Lol

I've long been a Green defender, even as this season began I didn't think it was on him, but at this point I think they have to make a change.

The roster is so badly underperforming, sure their are issues with the roster but the team should be better than this. If they are holding onto any hope for the season they need that shakeup, the problem is finding someone who isn't just a stop gap solution. Unless they try out an interim coach.

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, iwtl said:

"If we bomb?"

That's like the dumb and dumber scene "so your saying there is still a chance?"  Lol

There’s bombing and then there’s the Canucks version of it where we play good enough to land a pick towards the middle of the round when we could have absolutely bombed and ended up more towards top 5. If they’re gonna do it this year, please please please do it right and completely crash. 

Edited by RWJC

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Our prospects aren't worth much. Hell the majority of our players aren't worth much in a trade. 

A top 5 pick in a deep draft, a 2nd round pick the following year’s draft, and a promising prospect is a nice haul. Maybe won’t fetch 1st overall but it’s not too shabby a package to be dangling

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

So I like this topic because its decision-focused.

So there's 3 camps of ideas, what you want to do first, what you should do first and what you can do first.

Green has not done a good enough job to retain that job, I think thats clear and justifiable. Benning has assembled a decent core that should at least be a .500 club, maybe competing for a wildcard if all went well, but he has a meh overall history. Ownership is not changing. The team is demoralized and I do think we are at risk of guys wanting out.

So if ^ this is accurate:

1. Green should be fired today. We can easily do this now and it also should be done now.

2. Benning and Weisbord both have to move on. This is much harder to accomplish as there is no president to take over in the meantime. We do have Chris Gear to temporarily step up if we have candidates in the funnel already and its a matter or a week or two to get an experienced GM in place.

3. Ownership isn't going anywhere.

4. No big trades unless its a true hockey deal that improves the team. Very hard to do even under the best circumstances. We also don't know yet if this is a personnel or a coaching issue at heart.

Green has to go today. We just don't have enough knowledge to know what an experienced NHL coach can do with this team. If we still suck, then we can look at personnel changes. A new GM may take until the off season to pull off. Owners are staying.

The trade one is hard, if your moving big pieces its franchise defining - especially if the GM making the trade won't be around long.

Philly made the change to Chuck Fletcher mid-season - so management changes have happened mid-season - but you need the right candidate. It can't be rushed for the sake of change. 

For right now we should make a coaching change (if we want to try salvaging the season), and Ownership should be actively looking for new leadership at the management level. Even if they could bring in a President of Hockey Ops to take over the reigns, evaluate for the rest of the season, and figure out what changes to make beyond. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

So I like this topic because its decision-focused.

So there's 3 camps of ideas, what you want to do first, what you should do first and what you can do first.

Green has not done a good enough job to retain that job, I think thats clear and justifiable. Benning has assembled a decent core that should at least be a .500 club, maybe competing for a wildcard if all went well, but he has a meh overall history. Ownership is not changing. The team is demoralized and I do think we are at risk of guys wanting out.

So if ^ this is accurate:

1. Green should be fired today. We can easily do this now and it also should be done now.

2. Benning and Weisbord both have to move on. This is much harder to accomplish as there is no president to take over in the meantime. We do have Chris Gear to temporarily step up if we have candidates in the funnel already and its a matter or a week or two to get an experienced GM in place.

3. Ownership isn't going anywhere.

4. No big trades unless its a true hockey deal that improves the team. Very hard to do even under the best circumstances. We also don't know yet if this is a personnel or a coaching issue at heart.

Green has to go today. We just don't have enough knowledge to know what an experienced NHL coach can do with this team. If we still suck, then we can look at personnel changes. A new GM may take until the off season to pull off. Owners are staying.

Miller goes first, then Boeser, then Green

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, RWJC said:

A top 5 pick in a deep draft, a 2nd round pick the following year’s draft, and a promising prospect is a nice haul. Maybe won’t fetch 1st overall but it’s not too shabby a package to be dangling

Canucks have said challenge accepted