The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

32 Thoughts: Canucks slowly moving towards inevitable changes

Rate this topic

The Arrogant Worms

23 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Interim coach until the end of the year

It wouldn't be Boudreau then. Doesn't make sense for him to come in, only for a new GM to maybe bring his own coach. If it's interim, I bet it's Shaw. 

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I was just thinking about Tampa Bay.

Basically their core was formed between 2008-12.

Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Vasilevskiy.

Cirelli was 2015

Drouin was traded for Sergachev and a second. 

So realistically speaking. It took them about 8-9 years from the Stamkos draft to lose in the Conference Finals.

Then they lost in the first round the year after that.

Then they won two cups in a row. 

So everyone understands. If the team is dead serious of being a cup contender. It's going to take another 5-7 years to get good in the playoffs, and it might be a full

decade if we "Blow it up".

And that's with Yzerman and BriseBois running the show. 

I'm just saying, be careful what you wish for. 

2011 conference final

2015 Stanley cup final

2016 conference final 

2018 conference final

2020 Stanley cup winner 

2021 Stanley cup winner

So 2011 2015 2016 doesn't count?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am fine with that. 

I’m not sure if Shaw would be any better than Green to be fair. 

And Shaw’s not exactly a “veteran”of the NHL coaching ranks. Unless I’m mistaken, I don’t think he’s ever served as a full time head coach in the NHL has he? 

Edited by N4ZZY

6 hours ago, lmm said:

So if we started with Jim's first year we could expect to be knocking on the door about now,

but Jim frittered around with his re-tool on the fly and age gap and Sedin's last hurrah

and then decided to challenge after only 3 years of rebuild when he started trading away1st for Miller and OEL

You sound like you might not want to wait that long

but think, 1994-2011 was 17 years, if this is year one of the real rebuild, we could be knocking in 17 years after the last SCF

No More Short Cutsz

The blessing in disguise is there is a real quality valid core of players to work with. Likely having another high pick this year is a bonus good young asset coming in.

If ownership could find an experienced person for the President role, bring in a GM and a coach like say Boudreau I think the team can flip their fortunes pretty quick.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

37 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I’m not sure if Shaw would be any better than Green to be fair. 

And Shaw’s not exactly a “veteran”of the NHL coaching ranks. Unless I’m mistaken, I don’t think he’s ever served as a full time head coach in the NHL has he? 

He was an interim coach with the Islanders but that was a long time ago. He has served as an associate coach for many years though and has been on an NHL bench for 17 or 18 years iirc. 

Let’s put it this way. Travis Green was still playing in the NHL when Shaw was an interim head coach.

34 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He was an interim coach with the Islanders but that was a long time ago. He has served as an associate coach for many years though and has been on an NHL bench for 17 or 18 years iirc. 

Let’s put it this way. Travis Green was still playing in the NHL when Shaw was an interim head coach.

Okay. So Shaw’s got NHL bench experience. That could help him when he’s the interim coach of the Canucks. 

I’m not sure how much it’ll help him. Was Shaw Benning’s hire or Travis’? 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Okay. So Shaw’s got NHL bench experience. That could help him when he’s the interim coach of the Canucks. 

I’m not sure how much it’ll help him. Was Shaw Benning’s hire or Travis’? 

Didn’t sound like a Green hire. 

Green had 0 games on an NHL bench when he got hired. Can’t hurt Shaw’s chances to outcoach that buffoon.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Green had 0 games on an NHL bench when he got hired. Can’t hurt Shaw’s chances to outcoach that buffoon.

Such as the case with rookie coaches. Rookie coaches need a start somewhere as well. Though with that being said, it might have been wiser to put Green in an assistant role behind a veteran NHL coach. That way, he would’ve put in his time as an assistant, learning from a more experienced coach, and bide his time. I think he would’ve been a far better coach going that route. But of course, like any person wants is a fast track to head coach, or head anything. 

Ironically enough Benning spent a considerable amount of time as AGM. But even with all that time, he still sucks at his job. It’s actually unbelievable how terrible of a GM he is. Bottom half of GM’s for sure in the league. Is he the worse? I’m not sure if he is. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Green asked to hire him according to Kuzma.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-travis-green-picks-veteran-coach-brad-shaw-for-critical-role

"When Brad Shaw wasn’t afforded an opportunity to interview as a replacement for departed Columbus head coach John Tortorella — the assistant was surprisingly not retained by the NHL club — Vancouver Canucks head coach Travis Green quickly sought permission to interview the free agent."

“We’ve (Baumgartner and Green) been together for four years and sometimes a different point of view and different set of eyes is helpful. That was a big part of it and I really enjoy talking to people who have a mind for the game. And as a coach, you want to be challenged and broaden your mind and ideas. He’s a new voice for me and somebody I can lean on and he’ll have some good words for Baumer.”

8 minutes ago, mll said:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-travis-green-picks-veteran-coach-brad-shaw-for-critical-role

"When Brad Shaw wasn’t afforded an opportunity to interview as a replacement for departed Columbus head coach John Tortorella — the assistant was surprisingly not retained by the NHL club — Vancouver Canucks head coach Travis Green quickly sought permission to interview the free agent."

“We’ve (Baumgartner and Green) been together for four years and sometimes a different point of view and different set of eyes is helpful. That was a big part of it and I really enjoy talking to people who have a mind for the game. And as a coach, you want to be challenged and broaden your mind and ideas. He’s a new voice for me and somebody I can lean on and he’ll have some good words for Baumer.”

Doesn’t seem like it’s worked out so far this season. 

9 minutes ago, mll said:

I don’t know if I believe that was a Green move tbh. Makes zero sense for him to bring in a guy who could replace him in a heartbeat. 

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I don’t know if I believe that was a Green move tbh. Makes zero sense for him to bring in a guy who could replace him in a heartbeat. 

Green had just signed a new contract.  Don't think he expected the season to go off the rails like it did. 

13 minutes ago, mll said:

Green had just signed a new contract.  Don't think he expected the season to go off the rails like it did. 

Maybe Green would have the arrogance for such a move. I mean, he is pretty arrogant despite having literally no reason to be based on his coaching results. 

Still feels like a move management would make either to put some heat on Green or simply to take heat off their decision to hire a whole bunch more inexperienced coaches. 

Considering the lack of changes to the systems or style of play, last year and every year before should have clued Green in about where sticking with that would end up this season.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

I think we all know Benning's inevitable fate with the team. I don't like seeing people losing their jobs but if it's going to happen soon then I think it would be best to already hire a president of Hockey Ops now with the understanding that he or she will pick a new GM at the offseason with Benning already working a transition plan for his successor. 

That way the President can already evaluate the team to get a head start even before the GM arrives

10 hours ago, Trebreh said:

Claude Julien would be a huge step up on Green in experience and respect amongst players imo. 

I think Bozo "The Clown" would be a more appropriate fit based on the 3 ring circus act this team presents on the ice each game.    It might actually be a "perfect fit" for the times.

image.jpeg.7d4f623e80c4e205c2356f7368832f15.jpeg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Interim coach until the end of the year. New GM brings in his long term team in the offseason.

Unfortunately that is the best option, as under no circumstance should Uncle Jim be permitted to install another coach - which means when green goes - he goes.    This season is pretty well down the drain as most adults will admit, so lets at least try to get our players away from the management and coaching that has failed them for years.  The sooner the cancer is cut-out, the sooner the healing begins.   Same for any player issues in the locker room. If there is a divide in there, that must be put to rest ASAP, even if it involves player moves if no other options exist.

It's time to get this team on it's footing.  It's been 8 years of Failure and we were worse off last year and even worse this year than day one when Jim arrived here and it's been a steady decline amid an endless spin cycle of excuses and false promises for far too long.

THE TIME HAS COME FOR CHANGE !