The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Adam Gaudette

23 hours ago, AK_19 said:

It's too bad Gaudette couldn't add to his repertoire the ability to PK and improve his faceoff. He was considered a good two way player in the NCAA. I don't know what it is with this team and its inability to develop quality PKers. We've had to essentially outsource all of our PK talent through UFAs and trade. The last player we developed internally was perhaps Motte. 

we traded for Motte

It was probably Hansen, Burrows and Kesler

you have to remember Motte was a trade, as it might go down as Jim's finest moment of asset management

Edited by lmm

22 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Could see him getting picked up by a team missing an offensive forward like Florida (Duclair, Barkov), CBJ (Laine), NJD (Hughes), San Jose (Dahlen), Vegas (Karlsson) and giving him a tryout. I don't think Benning would claim him back after trading him in weird way, but with his right-handedness and familiarity with the team, it could happen.

that would be funny and oh so cruel

2 hours ago, Canucks-12 said:

So still not a bust. 

Not yet anyway. We'll see what he does in Ottawa if anything. If he can't crack Ottawa I don't know what team he'd be able to crack at that point. Chicago isn't exactly a deep team either though so I don't know if I like his chances.

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Not yet anyway. We'll see what he does in Ottawa if anything. If he can't crack Ottawa I don't know what team he'd be able to crack at that point. Chicago isn't exactly a deep team either though so I don't know if I like his chances.

Well, I guess the Sens are thinking they have nothing to lose with Gaudette. If he doesn't work out then he's on waivers again, and if he doesn't get claimed, then Ottawa's got some depth. 

I'm surprised Benning hasn't claimed anyone that's been on waivers. Feels like he's been neutered from making any sort of decisions. He's been soooo quiet

Neutered GIF by Family Guy

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, I guess the Sens are thinking they have nothing to lose with Gaudette. If he doesn't work out then he's on waivers again, and if he doesn't get claimed, then Ottawa's got some depth. 

I'm surprised Benning hasn't claimed anyone that's been on waivers. Feels like he's been neutered from making any sort of decisions. He's been soooo quiet

Neutered GIF by Family Guy

Or 0 cap space to play with.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, lmm said:

we traded for Motte

It was probably Hansen, Burrows and Kesler

you have to remember Motte was a trade, as it might go down as Jim's finest moment of asset management

It was dumb luck.  Benning comes from the spaghetti school.  He chucks it at the wall and hopes it sticks.

• Wat 1

15 hours ago, JM_ said:

I haven't looked up the fancy stats, but I kind of like him with Motte, they seem to compliment each other. But Lammikko would be better fit as a 4th line winger not a C.

I mean, there has to be an alternative to the 4th line centreman. What about calling up Nic Petan? 

He’s more of a centreman, even though he doesn’t help by being a lefty. 

It’s hard for me to believe that the organization has zero right handed centers. Like, did Benning and his team not think through this and thought it was a good idea to enter the season without a righty? 

3 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Uhm ok....gems happen but that doesn't change $&!#. 

I actually think historically, the Canucks have drafted decently in the later rounds. 

- Bieksa was drafted in the 5th round pick 

- Alex Edler (3rd round)

- Jannik Hansen (9th round)

- Ben Hutton (5th round)

- Nikita Tryamkin (3rd round, does he count?)

- Adam Gaudette (5th round)

- Gustav Forsling (5th round)

- Jack Rathbone (4th round)

- Michael Dipietro (3rd round, very possible)

- Artus Silovs (6th round, possible)

Some of the more recent later round picks are too early to tell. But there are some good players that were drafted in the 3rd round and beyond. Many have contributed (not all) in major ways to the organization when they were in blue and green. Obviously the younger players like Dipietro and Silovs are yet to be determined whether they can contribute in meaningful ways. 

4 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Troy Terry of Anaheim was drafted in the 5th round

If he continues to play the way he has, that’s a terrific find in the 5th round. Literally an absolute steal and gem of a player. We’ll see if he can sustain his performance and play. 

20 games, and he’s got 23 points, above a point per game. 

He’s playing far better than Elias Pettersson. 

Hell, Terry’s playing better than like 2/3 of our roster, if not more. He might actually be our leading scorer. A fifth round pick player!

Edited by N4ZZY

Jim Benning does the following over the years.

Hunter Shinkaruk for Markus Granlund

(Shinkaruk goes on waivers twice between two teams after while Granlund helps our team for four seasons as a solid 200 foot penalty killer and support scorer with 69 points in 215 games including a 19 goal season).

Thomas Vanek for

Jussi Jokinen & Tyler Motte

(After acquiring Vanek as a UFA for a thieving bargain of $2 Million; Vanek potted 41 points in 61 games while also having a great impact on the development of Horvat and Boeser. Vanek then snags us Jokinen and Motte at the Deadline where Jokinen was also a great impact on our young players and had 10 points in 14 games. While Motte is still with us today and has become a top 20 speedy penalty killing pest.

Erik Gudbranson for Tanner Pearson

(Gudbranson played decent for Pittsburgh but then bounced between five teams in barely three seasons while struggling with developing his foot speed, consistency, and being often injured. Meanwhile Pearson is a consistent 40 point scorer slotted beside Horvat and has stabilized any line he’s played on while bringing Cup winning experience and a contagious good attitude to the locker room and bench).

2020 (Conditional) 1st Round Draft Pick, 2019 3rd Round Draft Pick, and

Marek Mazanec for J.T. Miller

(The 2020 1st round pick wound up in New Jersey in the Blake Coleman to Tampa Bay Trade and was used on Russian D

Shakir Mukhamadullin who has lots to prove still. The 2019 3rd round pick was used by Tampa Bay to draft goaltender Hugo Alnefelt who’s proven nothing more so far then being an oversized, raw, subpar SHL goaltender, and Marek Mazanec went back to Europe and has never come close to touching the NHL since being on Vancouvers ex-AHL affiliate Utica. Sure Tampa Bay won back to back cups but that was happening either way. The Canucks pocketed a PPG power forward with unmatched leadership and versatility that gets better every year of his 20s. 

Adam Gaudette for Matthew Highmore

(This thread) 

(Highmore is on LTIR at the moment but has had zero injury trouble previously and when he  returns will be a nice boost to the bottom nine and get back to being the clone of Tyler Motte that he is. Gaudette was a self-centered, lazy, locker room problem college hotshot wannabe that is now another piece of waiver fodder that makes Benning look better. And who netted us a solid speedy, aggressive, PK forward in Highmore who has more upside developing. All-in-all Gaudette being on waivers once again shows how Benning gets a bad rap and that this is a coaching and players problem. 1/3 of our forward group including our leading scorer and bus driver, our Stanley Cup winning stabilizer, our best penalty killer, and our second best 4th liner, was all basically acquired for waiver fodder… 

Miller -Pettersson- Hoglander

Pearson -Horvat- Boeser

Garland -Dickinson- Motte

Highmore -Lammikko- Podkolzin

Dowling                          Chiasson

Edited by ZH96

7 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

It was dumb luck.  Benning comes from the spaghetti school.  He chucks it at the wall and hopes it sticks.

Check your knowledge.

Shinkaruk for Granlund-69 points in 215 games over four seasons for us including a 19 goal season while being a consistent 200 foot and PK performer for us. Meanwhile Shinkaruk hit waivers twice and bounced from us to Calgary to Montreal.

Vanek for Jokinen and Motte

Gudbranson for Pearson

1st, 3rd, Mazanec for Miller

Gaudette for Highmore

Not to mention the greatest walk-off home run 

I’ve ever seen from Benning in the

Ekman-Larsson and Garland trade.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ZH96 said:

Not to mention the greatest walk-off home run 

I’ve ever seen from Benning in the

Ekman-Larsson and Garland trade.

So what good did this trade do for Vancouver? Last I checked Canucks are still below in the standings.

We don't evaluate trades on a vacuum but how it affects the team 

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

So what good did this trade do for Vancouver? Last I checked Canucks are still below in the standings.

We don't evaluate trades on a vacuum but how it affects the team 

Sorry do Ekman-Larsson and especially Garland look like anywhere near the problem? Didn’t think so. You’re point is irrelevant. This is a much much bigger problem than Benning or your idea that he doesn’t know how to develop and build. This is on Aquilini, Green, Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes.

• Cheers 1

Just now, ZH96 said:

Sorry do Ekman-Larsson and especially Garland look like anywhere near the problem? Didn’t think so. You’re point is irrelevant. This is a much much bigger problem than Benning or your idea that he doesn’t know how to develop and build. This is on Aquilini, Green, Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes.

They aren't the problem and even some of the bright spots of the team. That said this was another example of short term gain and sacrificing the long term. And looks like the former isn't being fulfilled either 

Also my point isn't relevant. If you've been listening to Sportsnet 650 this is a similar talking point over there 

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

They aren't the problem and even some of the bright spots of the team. That said this was another example of short term gain and sacrificing the long term. And looks like the former isn't being fulfilled either 

Also my point isn't relevant. If you've been listening to Sportsnet 650 this is a similar talking point over there 

It’s too early to tell if it is short term gain and either way it’s a win because Ekman-Larsson and Garland fit into the going forward picture and core.