The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aquilini’s pride is getting in the way of change.

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

2 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I think it’s safe to say that the reason there is no change is because Aquilini’s pride is getting in the way. If he makes changes he concedes that he made mistakes and rushed the process to get playoff revenue rather than do a slow and needed rebuild. A proper one. I think he knows what everyone is saying and that he would rather lose than admit he was wrong. It has to be. It makes no sense why he is just letting the  losing to continue and not make any changes. No other healthy organization would let losing be acceptable. He needs to hire a hockey ops, a new gm and then stay away from any hockey decisions. He knows nothing about building a great team. It’s clear by now. I just think it’s his pride that really is getting in the way. He wants show everyone he’s smart and was right about rushing the process but it’s the exact opposite at this point. He looks foolish.

Its too late now, he can do whatever he wants but this season is lost. Its beat to wait til the end of the season.

Sorry Guys, I don't buy the idea Aqualini didn't allow for a proper rebuild.

Benning has had plenty of time to do a complete rebuild and he had time to assemble a decent defense.

He has let players go who he should have kept... i.e. Tanev and maybe even Edler.  (who is playing #1 pairing minutes currently in LA)

The other problem is coaching... this team should be a playoff team even with the current roster.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, combover said:

Seasons over,damage is done why rush now.

good to let the turds responsible suffer for a while.  they get paid either way so watching them squirm has some value. 

Maybe its for best, we can re-sign guys like Horvat and Boeser for much cheaper or they leave on their own accord.

This entire problem is on Aqualini's impatience's, and Benning lack of ability to evaluate pro-talent.

This all comes down to getting rid of Player Name, Beagle, and Roussel, all of who would be gone at the end of the year. To add to that, is their lack of evaluating Edler, and it is proven by how he is playing in LA..............then add the  loss of Tanev. All of which caused a mass exodus of veterans................

IMO, Benning is too reactive to Aqualini, which only points to the fact that we have no President to insolate Benning from Aqualini.............

I think this falls into ego by Aqualini and that he is a fan, much like ourselves, and who had listened to the Sedin's, who he should never had access to. IMO, they were the reason for Linden leaving, and Benning pressing on with a immature retool conclusion.

The Sedin's are the reason Player Name was signed, and inadvertently they are the reason Linden resigned.

In the end, $hit runs up hill and this is on Aqualini for his ego, and inability to hire and step back...........................

He is now the man that has hired the "Sedin's" to be special advisors.............................that sounds great doesn't it!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

13 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

This entire problem is on Aqualini's impatience's, and Benning lack of ability to evaluate pro-talent.

This all comes down to getting rid of Player Name, Beagle, and Roussel, all of who would be gone at the end of the year. To add to that, is their lack of evaluating Edler, and it is proven by how he is playing in LA..............then add the  loss of Tanev. All of which caused a mass exodus of veterans................

IMO, Benning is too reactive to Aqualini, which only points to the fact that we have no President to insolate Benning from Aqualini.............

I think this falls into ego by Aqualini and that he is a fan, much like ourselves, and who had listened to the Sedin's, who he should never had access to. IMO, they were the reason for Linden leaving, and Benning pressing on with a immature retool conclusion.

The Sedin's are the reason Player Name was signed, and inadvertently they are the reason Linden resigned.

In the end, $hit runs up hill and this is on Aqualini for his ego, and inability to hire and step back...........................

He is now the man that has hired the "Sedin's" to be special advisors.............................that sounds great doesn't it!

Uh, the Sedins retired by the time Linden left the team...

1 hour ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Gerard Gallant has the Rangers and 13 - 4 - 3 and 29 pts after 20 games. A team who told their season ticket holders no more than 3 years ago they were "rebuilding" ....you don't think Gallant could have gotten more than 14 pts out the Canucks as opposed to Green? 

We could always hire their former GM Jeff Gorton.

3 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Just because they retired did not mean they did not have access to him, nor that the pacifist attitude had not already taken hold.

That is a stretch. But anyways, the accusation that Sedin somehow drove Linden to leave the team is complete bs. The timeline does not line up for what you are accusing the Sedins to have done with regards to Linden.

3 hours ago, cuporbust said:

You are forgetting it's a brand. It's the entertainment business.  People are loyal to hockey here , but it's not a bottomless well. Sure , the die hards will still watch in some capacity,  but u can't be seen doing nothing for the entire year for health of ur brand. Especially when this was hyped as a  reward season for all our patients.  

" Riding out the year" won't fly without long term consiquences this time. Not only will it damage the young teams psyche, it will be very difficult to get the bulk of ur fan base emotionally invested again. 

This is not a play station game 

I like how you try and tell me this isnt a playstation game while saying the team needs to make changes as fast as possible.

You're right.  This isnt a playstation game. The adults make moves when they have the right ones lined up.  They dont just fire their coach and GM without having a proper fit lined up.

The fans will be here in this market if were winning.  

That entire post was just diarrhea.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Gerard Gallant has the Rangers and 13 - 4 - 3 and 29 pts after 20 games. A team who told their season ticket holders no more than 3 years ago they were "rebuilding" ....you don't think Gallant could have gotten more than 14 pts out the Canucks as opposed to Green? 

This is the same team who won the draft lottery twice, and signed one of the biggest stars in the game while giving up zero assets.

Also the team who had a franchise #1 Dman fall into their lap for nothing as well.

The Rangers have had all the luck and brakes the Canucks have not.

4 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I think it’s safe to say that the reason there is no change is because Aquilini’s pride is getting in the way. If he makes changes he concedes that he made mistakes and rushed the process to get playoff revenue rather than do a slow and needed rebuild. A proper one. I think he knows what everyone is saying and that he would rather lose than admit he was wrong. It has to be. It makes no sense why he is just letting the  losing to continue and not make any changes. No other healthy organization would let losing be acceptable. He needs to hire a hockey ops, a new gm and then stay away from any hockey decisions. He knows nothing about building a great team. It’s clear by now. I just think it’s his pride that really is getting in the way. He wants show everyone he’s smart and was right about rushing the process but it’s the exact opposite at this point. He looks foolish.

Well, he can keep his pride, but he's going to tarnish the brand of his toy. 

which is is Francesco? Can't keep your pride, and continue to make money with the Canucks. Either eat some &^@#ing humble pie and admit that you have been playing GM behind an incompetent GM, and coach, or you make changes, and start to make money again. 

4 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

This is the same team who won the draft lottery twice, and signed one of the biggest stars in the game while giving up zero assets.

Also the team who had a franchise #1 Dman fall into their lap for nothing as well.

The Rangers have had all the luck and brakes the Canucks have not.

How's their former GM? Is he available and any good? 

2 hours ago, the_impersonator13 said:

I think he could've done much better with this current team than Green has. 

55 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

That is a stretch. But anyways, the accusation that Sedin somehow drove Linden to leave the team is complete bs. The timeline does not line up for what you are accusing the Sedins to have done with regards to Linden.

Follow this...................

Aqualini's had a relationship with the Sedin's before they retired (recent history says it is his MO..aka dinner with Pettersson)

Aqualini and Linden hire Benning

Sedin's tell Aqualini that all they need is Player Name

Benning says retool, not rebuild

Linden disagrees and wants to continue rebuild

Aqualini agrees with Benning...who he should have never talked about this

Linden is basically forced out

Benning starts trading away 1st round picks and oversigning UFA's

Sedin's hired as special consultants....................................(like why? where is their back ground?)

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

How's their former GM? Is he available and any good? 

Jeff Gorton?

Yeah, he’s available, and he’s good.

Highly underrated tenures, both in New York, and Boston, previously.

I’ve actually been thinking lately about a building a dream team by hiring Gorton for Vancouver’s President of Hockey Ops, and then trying to poach Eric Tulsky from Carolina for Canucks GM.

Here’s a recent article on Tulsky, for those unfamiliar:

https://cardiaccane.com/2021/01/11/carolina-hurricanes-meteoric-rise-eric-tulsky/amp/

And an older article on Tulsky, getting into his background and education (he probably has the most impressive and unique CV you’ll ever see from someone working in hockey):

“Tulsky holds a B.A. in chemistry and physics from Harvard University and a Ph.D. in chemistry from UC-Berkeley. His resume also includes a two-year, post-doctoral study at the Naval Research Lab in Washington, D.C., and a 12-year career in nanotechnology”

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/inside-the-mind-of-eric-tulsky/c-777511

As for Gorton, here’s a piece on his work in Boston and how much his moves set up the next regime to compete for the Cup:

https://thehockeywriters.com/bruins-2006-nhl-draft-trades-marchand-rask/

And here’s another article that gets into Gorton’s recent tenure with the Rangers:

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/where-will-former-rangers-gm-jeff-gorton-land-next/amp/

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Its too late now, he can do whatever he wants but this season is lost. Its beat to wait til the end of the season.

If you can find a replacement you really like, it absolutely isn't best to wait until the end of the season.

Putting an actual proper management/coaching group to restore player morale is extremely important at this point. With Horvat and Miller nearing 1 year remaining on their contract, now would be the time to move them if we can't create an environment that they'd want to be in.

Not getting rid of Benning last summer was such a massive mistake.

Edited by Josepho