The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ovechkin appreciation thread

Rate this topic

D.B Cooper

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

if Ovie finish short of gretzky it's gonna be unlucky due to the stupid lockout and covid shortened season he loses almost 2 full season worth of games.

And how many games did Gretzky lose due to the shortened season and devastating back injury? 

3 hours ago, sassbs said:

And how many games did Gretzky lose due to the shortened season and devastating back injury? 

lol it's ovechkin's fault gretkzy lose game to injury?? gretzky played thru what? 2 shortened season? during the latter quarter of his career? ovechkin lost a good chunk of his game due to NHL stoppage during his prime years. gretzky did not lose his prime years due to work stoppage

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol it's ovechkin's fault gretkzy lose game to injury?? gretzky played thru what? 2 shortened season? during the latter quarter of his career? ovechkin lost a good chunk of his game due to NHL stoppage during his prime years. gretzky did not lose his prime years due to work stoppage

I’m sorry, sometimes my english is so horribly typed out people can’t understand what I’m saying.   So I’ll reiterate for you.  
I never said it was ov’s fault Gretzky lost games to injury.  You implied if OV falls short it’s due to his lost seasons, what I’m saying is he’s lucky Gretzky fell short a few seasons otherwise he would’ve had 1000 goals.  Your probably don’t remember this, but Gary Suter destroyed him into the boards causing him to miss most of the entire year due to his injury.  During his prime!   

im just making a point that had Gretzky not gone through that back injury and shorten seasons, OV would never even come close to him.    

hope that all made sense, if not I’ll try again 

On 11/29/2021 at 6:19 AM, sassbs said:

I’m sorry, sometimes my english is so horribly typed out people can’t understand what I’m saying.   So I’ll reiterate for you.  
I never said it was ov’s fault Gretzky lost games to injury.  You implied if OV falls short it’s due to his lost seasons, what I’m saying is he’s lucky Gretzky fell short a few seasons otherwise he would’ve had 1000 goals.  Your probably don’t remember this, but Gary Suter destroyed him into the boards causing him to miss most of the entire year due to his injury.  During his prime!   

im just making a point that had Gretzky not gone through that back injury and shorten seasons, OV would never even come close to him.    

hope that all made sense, if not I’ll try again 

Disagree Gretzky avg 0.6 goals per game in his career. Ovechkin avg 0.61. Gretzky still wouldn't score 1000 goal if he didn't have his injury and shortened season. He missed like 40 games or something from that injury and 2 shortened season? Let's add 100 game to his career.. he still wouldn't even be close to 1000. At 32 years old I wouldn't call Gretzky in his prime either. He hasn't even hit the 40 goal mark since 30.. so even if he didn't miss any games that season he still wouldn't have hit 40 so add maybe another 20 goals to his total. 

Gretzky in today's nhl prolly still produce like a mcdavid but he wouldn't even score as much as he did back in the 80s.. when goalies in the low 3.0 goals against is considered great. Ovechkin meanwhile would have feasted just taking slapshot from his office against those goalies. 

• Like 1