The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ovechkin appreciation thread

Rate this topic

D.B Cooper

Even if he doesn't catch Gretzky, and he's got a good shot at it, I see him as the greatest goalscorer ever. For one, Gretzky never had to deal with lockouts. Ovi could have begun his career a year sooner and likely put up another 40-50 goals, he was also robbed because of the Covid shortened season.

Dude is the king. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Even if he doesn't catch Gretzky, and he's got a good shot at it, I see him as the greatest goalscorer ever. For one, Gretzky never had to deal with lockouts. Ovi could have begun his career a year sooner and likely put up another 40-50 goals, he was also robbed because of the Covid shortened season.

Dude is the king. 

Not to mention, if you account for the amount of goals being scored league-wide, and extrapolate based on those rates, I think OV would have already passed him. And that's with lockouts, COVID, and years left for him to go.

He's undoubtedly the best goalscorer ever.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Not to mention, if you account for the amount of goals being scored league-wide, and extrapolate based on those rates, I think OV would have already passed him. And that's with lockouts, COVID, and years left for him to go.

If he doesn't pass Gretzky there will always be those who go on about how Gretzky scored more actual goals, but I'm inclined to agree with you. 

• 3 weeks later...

ovechkin may not be the greatest hockey player of all time and whether or not he's the greatest scorer of all time is debatable too, but in terms of passion and love for scoring goals he's #1 in my books. everytime he scores a goal he celebrates like it's his 1st. 

he'll likely finish with 50 goals this season.. that'll leave him around 114 115 goals behind gretzky? with 4 years left assuming he stays healthy he needs to avg 30 goals a season.. definitely doable let's just say he drops to 35-40 for the next 2 season.. then he'll need to avg 20 in his final 2 season.. dunno about if he'll sign an extra 1 year contract if he's close just to break it.

20 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I don’t know how someone pushing for the all time goals scored record wouldn’t be. 

You'd think, but it was a more a reference to our recent generational players thread 

You always get interesting debates when the "generational" tag comes up 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's crazy how little the Canadian media cover OV.

I listen to Jeff Marek at 9am he never talks about OV.

Today I was expecting him to talk about OV taking lead, #1 in goals and Pts last night but he didn't even bring OVs name up.. 

If this guy was Canadian he'd be known as the greatest of all time. 

6'3 235 lbs. Near the top of league in hits every year. 

Never gets injured. 

Best goal scorer of all time. Gretzky himself has said OV is already the best because how hard it is to score during OVs career..

Beast.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

It's crazy how little the Canadian media cover OV.

I listen to Jeff Marek at 9am he never talks about OV.

Today I was expecting him to talk about OV taking lead, #1 in goals and Pts last night but he didn't even bring OVs name up.. 

If this guy was Canadian he'd be known as the greatest of all time. 

6'3 235 lbs. Near the top of league in hits every year. 

Never gets injured. 

Best goal scorer of all time. Gretzky himself has said OV is already the best because how hard it is to score during OVs career..

Beast.

There's no time to talk about Ovi when there are panel discussions on where the Leafs ate lunch to fill.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I wasn't even mad when he scored on us.  I consider myself lucky to have been able to enjoy his career.

Yeah, he's probably the only player where I don't get angry when he scores on us. 

I teared up when he lifted the Cup.  Love the guy.  Can't believe how little coverage he gets considering he is literally a legend on ice right now.  The fact he's in the same breath as Gretzky, Jagr, Howe, etc is incredible.

You know the North American media is biased when if you ask any joe schmoe that doesn't follow hockey, they know of Sidney Crosby, but if you ask them who Alexander Ovechkin is, I have my doubts that they have ever heard of him.

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2021 at 6:06 PM, D-Money said:

Gretzky also missed his fair share of games due to being almost paralyzed by suter slamming him from behind into the boards.   He almost missed a full season.   Also wAs in a lock out.  

People always say , Gretzky had it easy scoring in the 80’s, and it’s so much harder to score in today’s league.   In gretzky’s era, it may have been easier to score but he also lived in a league where head shots were legal. Clutch and grab was essential.  Basically everything was ok, whereas today everything would be called a penalty or suspension. 

Imagine Gretzky in today’s league with the training regiment/diet they implement, or the equipment they use.  Gretzky’s pregame meal was 2 hotdogs and a coke.  

At the same time, OV is a beast and he would’ve also thrived in the 80’s as he could handle and dish out those deadly hits! 
if OV played in Gretzky’s time, he prob would’ve had 2000 goals.  

you can’t really say one is a better goal scorer than the other.  Jus sayin….

Edited by sassbs