The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Justin Holl?

To Toronto: Winnipeg's 3rd round pick, Alex Chiasson (or Justin Dowling, Toronto would immediately waive either)

To Vancouver: Justin Holl

Canucks waive Brad Hunt immediately after

Why?

- This is based partly on Toronto bloggers - there seems to be a growing consensus that Toronto will move one of their D for cap space, and try to add a veteran C at the deadline. Justin Holl seems like the odd man out after spending a few games as a health scratch

- Justin Holl - he's a player who looked like he had solidified himself as a top-4 defenseman over the past 3 seasons in a two-way, sometimes shutdown role on the right-side, but has been outplayed but a pretty deep Leafs' defense

- Myers and Poolman have both struggled in top-4 roles, leaving a hole in the top-4 even when Hamonic is allowed to play - Hamonic being gone has shown how much the defense declines in the face of one injury

- Holl can kill penalties - something the Canucks need support with badly. At 6'4, 205 pounds, he's also a smoother skater who has shown he can put up 20+ points

OEL - Holl

Hughes - Hamonic

Myers - Poolman

Burroughs, Schenn

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He was carried by Muzzin.  If he can't even crack Toronto's defence, which is absolutely dreadful, I wouldn't waste the roster spot on him

I know we all hate Toronto but they have the 2nd best GAA in the East so I am curious as to how you can call their defence "absolutely dreadful"? The statistics don't seem to back that claim.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Rick Blight said:

I know we all hate Toronto but they have the 2nd best GAA in the East so I am curious as to how you can call their defence "absolutely dreadful"? The statistics don't seem to back that claim.

The only defensemen who can actually play defence on that blueline are Muzzin and Brodie.  Remainder are AHL quality at best.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They're getting lucky.  Which other defenceman there is capable of playing like an NHLer in his own zone?

I doubt luck is the deciding factor after 22 games so there must be something else. I guess their team defensive structure could be elite and cover up their deficiencies but I doubt it. I don't think it is elite goaltending although Campbell has been quite good. That only leaves the D group and I can only believe the individual pieces are better than we give them credit for or they are able to gel as a group for some reason.. Personally, I think it is simply that Rielly, Holl and Sandin are a little better that we think they are. They are doing something right defensively and we could only hope that our D could have the same results.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I doubt luck is the deciding factor after 22 games so there must be something else. I guess their team defensive structure could be elite and cover up their deficiencies but I doubt it. I don't think it is elite goaltending although Campbell has been quite good. That only leaves the D group and I can only believe the individual pieces are better than we give them credit for or they are able to gel as a group for some reason.. Personally, I think it is simply that Rielly, Holl and Sandin are a little better that we think they are. They are doing something right defensively and we could only hope that our D could have the same results.

I find that hard to believe, especially since Rielly has established himself to be incapable of playing any defence whatsoever.  Malhotra is probably helping a bit to hide some of the weaknesses, but they'll be exposed in the playoffs again.  Any guy who can't crack a lineup desperate enough to keep Rielly isn't a guy we want.  Wait until their career backup goalie comes back to his real level of ability and they'll get ventilated.

Edited by King Heffy

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

I like Holl. This isn't enough imo. Leafs will want more. 

is he an upgrade tho? one worth losing any assets over?

If we're moving Motte to the Leaves I'd like a 2nd and b-prospect back, otherwise they can go pound sand. Motte gives them a ton of depth 5 on 5 and PK.

2 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

To Toronto: Winnipeg's 3rd round pick, Alex Chiasson (or Justin Dowling, Toronto would immediately waive either)

To Vancouver: Justin Holl

Canucks waive Brad Hunt immediately after

Why?

- This is based partly on Toronto bloggers - there seems to be a growing consensus that Toronto will move one of their D for cap space, and try to add a veteran C at the deadline. Justin Holl seems like the odd man out after spending a few games as a health scratch

- Justin Holl - he's a player who looked like he had solidified himself as a top-4 defenseman over the past 3 seasons in a two-way, sometimes shutdown role on the right-side, but has been outplayed but a pretty deep Leafs' defense

- Myers and Poolman have both struggled in top-4 roles, leaving a hole in the top-4 even when Hamonic is allowed to play - Hamonic being gone has shown how much the defense declines in the face of one injury

- Holl can kill penalties - something the Canucks need support with badly. At 6'4, 205 pounds, he's also a smoother skater who has shown he can put up 20+ points

OEL - Holl

Hughes - Hamonic

Myers - Poolman

Burroughs, Schenn

Would love to see Poolman back with OEL they had some good chemistry going before Quinn and EP signed.

We have 3 dman who would 4/5 guys on a good team we don’t need another 

hughes-xxxxx

oel-hamonic 

xxxxx-poolman 

burroughs-schenn

the issues are we aren’t getting 6m worth of shutdown minutes out of Myers and we don’t have a left side 3rd pair guy who can kill penalties 

Sorry, Teemu, not sure how much you watch the Leafs, but my wife is a die-hard fan, so i'm usually right there with her...anyways. Holl is big, but does not play big, he might try and throw the odd big hit, but they are never 'heavy' or 'hard' I don't know where you say he is a good skater, but he is a bit of a slug, he hangs on to the puck too much in his own zone and forces strange plays when an easier one is available. Luke Schenn at 850k is way better value than Holl, IMO.