The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrik Laine is struggling. What do we give up for him ?

From HF

The guy I always compared Laine to stylistically-speaking was Boeser for the Canucks, they both play a similar way and have similar skill-sets, and their careers have gone similar ways. I wonder with these guys, they had so much early success putting the puck into the net but how much of that was goalies just not having a book on them when they first come in the league? Couple years go by and they put so much more on tape at the NHL level, especially for guys who are seen as snipers you know the goalie and the goalie coach and the video coach on the other teams are all breaking down their tendencies and figuring out what they like to do.

That sort of thing can get into your head pretty easy, like it does with pitchers in baseball, a guy might have great stuff as a rookie who nobody's ever really seen before at that level but in a year or two if you don't switch things up they will catch up to what you're doing and start to take advantage, it's like a constant process there.

I reckon what we want to see from Laine is attention to detail and building out his game and also his mental resilience, because he's one of these guys whose overall game gets affected if the puck isn't going in for him. Mid-30s for goals and with plentiful assists and well-rounded team play is a good season for him I figure, although, you gotta pro-rate this stuff for a short season and I didn't do that.

9 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Ok but what do you expect that CBJ fans would want ?

I bet they would expect either of Boeser or Miller and our 1st round pick.

Then I say no. There is no way Laine is worth that... to me anyways. Again, if he was continuing to score 36 goals per year things change. Too much risk to trade a top pick for Laine.

10 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

From HF

The guy I always compared Laine to stylistically-speaking was Boeser for the Canucks, they both play a similar way and have similar skill-sets, and their careers have gone similar ways. I wonder with these guys, they had so much early success putting the puck into the net but how much of that was goalies just not having a book on them when they first come in the league? Couple years go by and they put so much more on tape at the NHL level, especially for guys who are seen as snipers you know the goalie and the goalie coach and the video coach on the other teams are all breaking down their tendencies and figuring out what they like to do.

That sort of thing can get into your head pretty easy, like it does with pitchers in baseball, a guy might have great stuff as a rookie who nobody's ever really seen before at that level but in a year or two if you don't switch things up they will catch up to what you're doing and start to take advantage, it's like a constant process there.

I reckon what we want to see from Laine is attention to detail and building out his game and also his mental resilience, because he's one of these guys whose overall game gets affected if the puck isn't going in for him. Mid-30s for goals and with plentiful assists and well-rounded team play is a good season for him I figure, although, you gotta pro-rate this stuff for a short season and I didn't do that.

This person sounds smart B)

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Not right now but he was. He's on a hot streak. And on a one year deal. Obviously things aren't perfect when you sign a one year deal

Don’t see CBJ being interested.  Boeser is struggling and doesn’t have Laine’s upside.  There were reason’s why things didn’t go well last season.  

CBJ had no playmakers last season and traded Atkinson for Voracek who is a pass 1st F with the key objective to help Laine.   They look to be clicking.  Things didn’t always look to go smoothly with Tortorella but he has been replaced with Larssen this season.

Laine is currently injured.  He just lost his father a week ago so don’t think CBJ are going to worry if he is not quite on his game when he comes back.

5 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Statistically it's probably a low ball but I don't know about ridiculous. I gave my reasons. Laine's reported attitude problems, if true, lower his value. I would add a small sweetener to Boeser but nothing more.

And let's not pretend Laine is producing at the rate he was in his first few seasons. He scored 12 goals last year (22ish goal pace/82). Boeser has scored near 30g pace his first few years but without the reported attitude problems.

Today that's what I'd be willing to give up. If Laine scores 40 this year and Boeser scores 20 then obviously the conversation changes.

Boeser last 5 games :(            or  18 games

107 shifts                                         420 shifts

90 min                                              493 min 

67% offensive zone starts

10 shots                                           40 shots

0% shooting accuracy

5 blocked shots                               11 blocked

4 hits (bumps)                                 10 hits

0 goals                                            4 goals

0 assists                                         4 assists

0 points                                           8 points

power play time

Current Salary - $7.5 million

Cap hit -  $5.875 million

Like other players on this team , not very good return on the dollar

or

probably in a trade right now

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

From HF

I thought comparison to Boeser was always obvious.
The difference is Laine is 3-4 inches taller and 10-15lbs heavier.

I would trade Boeser for Laine in terms of on-ice play, but he's too pricey and a bit of an odd dude.

Brock, as we all know, is a standup guy.

Laine for all his faults (bad skating, streaky, effort) still has high draft pedigree

And apparently a serious attitude problem. Read about the dysfunction he tried sowing in the Jets locker room. 
Then, after being traded to CBJ, pulled the same stunts there and it caused Atkinson and Foligno (the leadership there) to say to mgmt either he stays or we go. Torts was also a casualty of it.

Laine is young and wants control of the room.  He thinks he’s a captain/team leader, but most agree he doesn’t have the personal makeup of one.  He basically tried to undermine Schiefele and Wheeler in WPG to his own advantage.

He’s not a character player and his ego is huge.

I wouldn’t offer for him.

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

JT Miller straight up.

Sure lets do it!

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

10 points in 9 games is struggling?

I was going to say over PPG player, if that is struggling what do we call Petey & Boes?

Edited by #Canucks

Ok but what do you expect that CBJ fans would want ?

I bet they would expect either of Boeser or Miller and our 1st round pick.

I'm not sure I'd do it. Boeser + a 1st? No way. 

Brock's got a better head on his shoulders, and that alone is a good add to the dressing room. 

How do we know Laine won't absolutely kill the already dysfunctional locker room as it stands right now? 

CBJ would be asking too much. Their GM is also very smart. I don't trust Benning to do business with another smart GM. If those were the conditions. A fleecing will occur on us. Pass for the time being. I'm not even sure if Laine wants to remain in Columbus. He looks like a player to me that loves the big big city and spot light. New York. Los Angeles. Chicago, even. 

Laine may have struggled under Torts, but I don't think he's struggling this season.

I would like him on the team, but Boeser for Laine seems like a lateral move. Don't know what else we'd trade for him.
Seems to make more sense to target him in free agency.

Is he? He has 10 points in 9 games. But he's been hurt.

The issue with Laine is he is not far from reaching UFA status. He will probably just shoot for another 1-year deal (through arbitration, if necessary), and hit the market in 2023. Not really the long-term solution for us.