The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don't Expect Big Changes Anytime Soon ( Article).

Rate this topic

cuporbust

• cuporbust changed the title to Don't Expect Big Changes Anytime Soon ( Article).

I think it's good for them to take time on finding right coach.  It shouldn't be rushed and hopefully that Benning is right on finding players but wrong coach to work with is the issue.  If the right coach's record is better with current group of player then we know the main culprit of this team, Green.  That is all.   This season is done for so all we can focus is today and tomorrow to change the future.  Hopefully that a new coach will have an opportunity to work with this current group rather than waiting until off-season to find a new coach.  

• Cheers 2

Problem is that they have said losing is unacceptable but haven’t really done anything after losing so many games. So I guess losing is acceptable. I just don’t think they can give any power to Jim Benning to make trades or hire another coach. Are they seriously thinking about leaving him in as gm? Is he really going to get another chance? I am done with him. If they keep him, then there is no point following this team.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I’m not disappointed. The fact they aren’t going to pull a Messier gives me a lot of hope actually. Rushing in and hiring Shaw or someone else could end us with an even bigger disaster than what we have now. I would be much more disappointed if they said they’re not making any changes period end of story. Instead, they’re telling us we will make changes, but only if we find someone who we think will turn this team around. That to me signals to us as fans that what we’ve seen isn’t acceptable to the organization and they’re committed to becoming a winning, playoff bound, competing for the cup team.

There’s been a lot of users rightfully concerned that ownership is ok with us losing. If they really believed that we would have already fired the coach and promoted Shaw or Cull already. I want Green to be gone just as much as anyone else, but you know what I want even more? Our next coach ending up as another Green. Do our due diligence, take the time necessary to find the right coach, not just the next one. This news gives me relief if anything.

How could Shaw as an interim coach with Green removed from the equation on a temporary basis possibly be worse than the garbage Green is pulling now?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

How could Shaw as an interim coach with Green removed from the equation on a temporary basis possibly be worse than the garbage Green is pulling now?

Everyone is all supportive of Shaw because he’s the new guy, but I think our defense is worse under him this year then whoever was in charge last year. Our defense has been flat out awful this season. Our goals against average is higher then last year. I see no improvement on the backend whatsoever. So if Shaw really is struggling on defense why would we want to promote him to head coach? I want Green gone, but you know what’s worse? Someone who makes Green look like a competent coach. He hasn’t convinced me and if we’re getting a coach I want one that will take us to the playoffs. Not just the next coach for the team because everyone is screaming DO SOMETHING.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Everyone is all supportive of Shaw because he’s the new guy, but I think our defense is worse under him this year then whoever was in charge last year. Our defense has been flat out awful this season. Our goals against average is higher then last year. I see no improvement on the backend whatsoever. So if Shaw really is struggling on defense why would we want to promote him to head coach? I want Green gone, but you know what’s worse? Someone who makes Green look like a competent coach. He hasn’t convinced me and if we’re getting a coach I want one that will take us to the playoffs. Not just the next coach for the team because everyone is screaming DO SOMETHING.

Nothing a makes Green look like a competent coach.  Shaw has at least proven he is capable of coaching at the NHL level, even if only as an assistant.  Baumgartner is still running the defence, and I would suspect that is the problem as he is too stupid to be able to handle the role even with adult supervision.  You let Shaw coach until the long-term replacement is found, and then at least Green isn't in the equation doing permanent damage to our young players.  Firing Green is addition by subtraction even with zero new hires.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

They can promote Shaw as an interim coach while they look for a permanent option though.  Green is causing permanent damage with his gross incompetence and there is no excuse for allowing him to continue to disgrace the organization.

I agree.  Aquilini needs to cut his losses and just dump Green now rather than let this sh*t show continue.  Shaw has been a head coach before, so let him run the team and see what happens.  Didn't our assistant coach from the Willie D era go to Pittsburgh and win a couple of cups?  We don't know what the heck Shaw is even doing right now.  For all we know Green could only be allowing him to coach the taxi squad.  

I get that they just extended Green and Aquilini doesn't want to lose that money, but it's better to be paying Green to stay home than to have him behind the bench destroying what is left of this team.

• Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I’m not disappointed. The fact they aren’t going to pull a Messier gives me a lot of hope actually. Rushing in and hiring Shaw or someone else could end us with an even bigger disaster than what we have now. I would be much more disappointed if they said they’re not making any changes period end of story. Instead, they’re telling us we will make changes, but only if we find someone who we think will turn this team around. That to me signals to us as fans that what we’ve seen isn’t acceptable to the organization and they’re committed to becoming a winning, playoff bound, competing for the cup team.

There’s been a lot of users rightfully concerned that ownership is ok with us losing. If they really believed that we would have already fired the coach and promoted Shaw or Cull already. I want Green to be gone just as much as anyone else, but you know what I want even more? Our next coach ending up as another Green. Do our due diligence, take the time necessary to find the right coach, not just the next one. This news gives me relief if anything.

Shaw has already been hired, he stands behind the bench every game and is on the payroll.  Keeping Green around would be the real disaster.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  Aquilini needs to cut his losses and just dump Green now rather than let this sh*t show continue.  Shaw has been a head coach before, so let him run the team and see what happens.  Didn't our assistant coach from the Willie D era go to Pittsburgh and win a couple of cups?  We don't know what the heck Shaw is even doing right now.  For all we know Green could only be allowing him to coach the taxi squad.  

I get that they just extended Green and Aquilini doesn't want to lose that money, but it's better to be paying Green to stay home than to have him behind the bench destroying what is left of this team.

Sullivan worked under Torts.  So did Shaw.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Nothing a makes Green look like a competent coach.  Shaw has at least proven he is capable of coaching at the NHL level, even if only as an assistant.  Baumgartner is still running the defence, and I would suspect that is the problem as he is too stupid to be able to handle the role even with adult supervision.  You let Shaw coach until the long-term replacement is found, and then at least Green isn't in the equation doing permanent damage to our young players.  Firing Green is addition by subtraction even with zero new hires.

You might not have been around for Messier, actually I think it’s obvious you haven’t, but yes bad management can be followed by even worse. Especially when an organization is feeling pressure to make a change. All teams have experienced this before. Go through the NHL history, you’ll find plenty of examples of what I’m talking about. Everyone magically thinks the guy who replaces Green will be so much better, but have never once considered the fact they could be even worse. That’s why you don’t make a panic move just to relieve the pressure from fans and media to prevent that from happening. Find me the guy who is going to take this team to the playoffs. If it’s Shaw so be it, but if it’s not then you keep looking.

If we hire Shaw and go on another 6-13-2 run or how about a 3-17-1 run what then? Do we fire him too? Take the goddamn time (it would likely be weeks) to find the coach we need end of story. If you want to go blindly in and support another rookie coach that has no head coach experience well that’s up to you, but I’m not getting fooled again and given the performance in the area Shaw was specifically hired for this year I will not support him as head coach. If he does get hired and things go catastrophically worse I hope you remember my post.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

You might not have been around for Messier, actually I think it’s obvious you haven’t, but yes bad management can be followed by even worse. Especially when an organization is feeling pressure to make a change. All teams have experienced this before. Go through the NHL history, you’ll find plenty of examples of what I’m talking about. Everyone magically thinks the guy who replaces Green will be so much better, but have never once considered the fact they could be even worse. That’s why you don’t make a panic move just to relieve the pressure from fans and media to prevent that from happening. Find me the guy who is going to take this team to the playoffs. If it’s Shaw so be it, but if it’s not then you keep looking.

If we hire Shaw and go on another 6-13-2 run or how about a 3-17-1 run what then? Do we fire him too? Take the goddamn time (it would likely be weeks) to find the coach we need end of story. If you want to go blindly in and support another rookie coach that has no head coach experience well that’s up to you, but I’m not getting fooled again and given the performance in the area Shaw was specifically hired for this year I will not support him as head coach. If he does get hired and things go catastrophically worse I hope you remember my post.

I was around for Messier, although I kind of did the same thing and checked out as Green is as bad as Keenan was.  The idea is not to have Shaw hired as a permanent coach.  The idea is to have him as the temporary coach while you search for a replacement so at least you get Green away from the team.  No one is suggesting Shaw is the permanent solution, just that he will do less damage while we look for an actual coach than someone who has proven to be unfit for the position and is destroying the confidence of our players.

• Cheers 1

Seeing the last paragraph of the post I had a thought just now, wondering if Miller speaking out vs. Horvat's PC, conventional hockey player responses could be the source of the rift (along with the Halloween party situation).  Complete speculation but with a reaction like an eye roll and yelling at guys, I wouldn't be surprised if a guy with a Captain Serious reputation like Bo could've taken it the wrong way. 

Regardless, back on topic, this news is hardly surprising, since nothing happened after Aqualini met with Benning either.  I'd guess Green would be the first to go, but wouldn't be surprised if it takes him awhile yet to get let go.

42 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Ummm, we are behind an expansion team and are only 4 points better than Arizona.  How much worse could it get without Green?

• Like 1