The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don't Expect Big Changes Anytime Soon ( Article).

Rate this topic

cuporbust

The issue is, there is no quality coaches available

Babcock

Julien

Boudreau

That's it.

We missed the window on the good coaches last off season.  Imagine what Gallant does with this team.

There's no good options.  I'd rather just do what needs to be done to pump value in to two or three players, suck up the excuses and blow it up properly for good picks these next two rounds while cleaning managerial/bench house and starting over with some qualified genuinely skilled and talented coaches/leaders at the helm instead of making a knee jerk reaction that would see essential youth kicked out for trades, simply to make trades.

Agree it's a positive sign that ownership is taking the time to ensure that there are no mistakes made with a "rush decision" but rather taking the time to (hopefully) ensure that the right people are brought in.  And hopefully that includes a POHO to oversee hockey ops.  

It's just sad that, with still three quarters of a new season remaining, the chances of playoff hockey are very dim.  As a tried and true supporter since the old WHL days in 1968, a season ticket holder then and also when the team joined the NHL (unfortunately had to subsequently give up the seasons tickets when I was relocated out of town because of work), it was always a joy to support the team and hope for a good season followed by a long playoff run.  But, to see those hopes dashed so early in the season is a real disappointment.

So, Aquilini family, please do this old fellow (me) a real favour and DO take your time to hire the RIGHT PEOPLE to guide this team to a lengthy period of success.  Please.....and thank you.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Baumgartner is still in charge of defense.

Shaw is meant to simply oversee the D and and the powerplay (a role he’s never done)

The problem is not Shaw, the problem is the role they cast him in. It was ridiculous to keep Baumgartner around and expect things to change.

Shaws in a position where he either has to micromanage Baumgartner or do the job himself. Either way it’s too many voices trying to run the defense. Baumer should have been canned after least seasons horrible display.

I didn't quite understand the hiring originally. I really thought they would have let Baumer go

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, combover said:

So owners choose torture and pain.

I’d like to see Green and Jb removed 

And at this point its the humane thing to do. 

pretty clear in interviews these guys - player coaches gm are emotionally and mentally exhausted. They don’t have the answers they do know where to look for them. 

its why they have the term interm we don’t need a gm to pull of deals anytime soon so getting rid of JB has no negative effect. 
replacing the coach with a interm one like shaw who’s under contract cost very little 

find hire a gm let him hire his coach and make the changes he sees fit. 
Fans and owners paying for JB mistakes over and over. 

I agree that nothing to be done until a poho or a gm is found and has time to assess the club under shaw.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Sullivan worked under Torts.  So did Shaw.

lol shaw's defense and PK last year with columbus was atrocious... they rather give an interview for the head coach to the assistant coach that runs the offense than even give him an interview opportunity before letting him go.. so far the PK is worse in the league sure baumgartner is in charge but Shaw has input also.. so no thx to shaw running the team. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Problem is that they have said losing is unacceptable but haven’t really done anything after losing so many games. So I guess losing is acceptable. I just don’t think they can give any power to Jim Benning to make trades or hire another coach. Are they seriously thinking about leaving him in as gm? Is he really going to get another chance? I am done with him. If they keep him, then there is no point following this team.

I think minor trades are fine.

I'd keep JB until the near the end of the season when we are mathematically eliminated. Firing and hiring a new GM in the middle of the season isn't easy and there is a trade deadline to deal with.

If by some miracle we pull of St. Louis 2019, then we keep JB.

But, please fire Green and Baumer. Promote Shaw, and maybe even Trent Cull as an assistant coach.

Pretty lame for the team to be searching and getting permission to talk to other coaches while they leave Green and the team twirling in the wind. 
terrible ownership/ management  and a horrible way to treat an employee. 
if he’s done fire him if not more say so 

this kind of garbage  is why high quality people won’t work for this ownership. 

im sure green is super motivated knowing Scott walker is an option to replace him:picard:

reminds me of how this ownership treated Louie when they were over him.

it’s become more and more evident there is really only one way to get this club back on track and that’s if they sell the team. 

It’s clear  FA doesn’t have the mental capacity to be in charge. 

#SELLTHETEAM 

I hope that’s the chant 

or

#fireAquallini 

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Baumgartner is still in charge of defense.

Shaw is meant to simply oversee the D and and the powerplay (a role he’s never done)

The problem is not Shaw, the problem is the role they cast him in. It was ridiculous to keep Baumgartner around and expect things to change.

Shaws in a position where he either has to micromanage Baumgartner or do the job himself. Either way it’s too many voices trying to run the defense. Baumer should have been canned after least seasons horrible display.

Which is why I've said before that Green's undoing is going to be because of Baumgartner. Seems like those two are joined at the hip. 

I agree with you that Baumgartner should have been fired last season for a horrible job he did. But Green, for whatever reason, likes him and has decided to keep him on board. That decision in my opinion will be what has caused him to lose his job. He is the head coach after all. Surround yourself with good people, smart people, or the ones you do hire will make a fool out of you. Guess which one Green looks like? He doesn't look like a smart coach, and I think that's partly because he has two incompetent assistant coaches in King and Baumgartner. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol shaw's defense and PK last year with columbus was atrocious... they rather give an interview for the head coach to the assistant coach that runs the offense than even give him an interview opportunity before letting him go.. so far the PK is worse in the league sure baumgartner is in charge but Shaw has input also.. so no thx to shaw running the team. 

You'd rather have Green continue to poison the locker room while we search for an actual NHL coach?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

You might not have been around for Messier, actually I think it’s obvious you haven’t, but yes bad management can be followed by even worse. Especially when an organization is feeling pressure to make a change. All teams have experienced this before. Go through the NHL history, you’ll find plenty of examples of what I’m talking about. Everyone magically thinks the guy who replaces Green will be so much better, but have never once considered the fact they could be even worse. That’s why you don’t make a panic move just to relieve the pressure from fans and media to prevent that from happening. Find me the guy who is going to take this team to the playoffs. If it’s Shaw so be it, but if it’s not then you keep looking.

If we hire Shaw and go on another 6-13-2 run or how about a 3-17-1 run what then? Do we fire him too? Take the goddamn time (it would likely be weeks) to find the coach we need end of story. If you want to go blindly in and support another rookie coach that has no head coach experience well that’s up to you, but I’m not getting fooled again and given the performance in the area Shaw was specifically hired for this year I will not support him as head coach. If he does get hired and things go catastrophically worse I hope you remember my post.

Three words that mitigate all the risk you are freaking out about:

Interim Coach Shaw

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You'd rather have Green continue to poison the locker room while we search for an actual NHL coach?

if our option is the assistant coaches we already have then yes.. i rather clean house and wipe everyone off

Edited by wai_lai416
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

if our option is the assistant coaches we already have then yes.. i rather clean house and wipe everyone off

Eh, personally I'd prefer turfing Green, Baumer, and King, and at least removing the cancer from the organization.  We're better off without a coach at all than allowing those incompetent clowns to continue to destroy the team.

Edited by King Heffy

5 hours ago, coolboarder said:

I think it's good for them to take time on finding right coach.  It shouldn't be rushed and hopefully that Benning is right on finding players but wrong coach to work with is the issue.  If the right coach's record is better with current group of player then we know the main culprit of this team, Green.  That is all.   This season is done for so all we can focus is today and tomorrow to change the future.  Hopefully that a new coach will have an opportunity to work with this current group rather than waiting until off-season to find a new coach.  

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD BENNING BE ALLOWED TO HIRE OUR NEXT COACH!   NO WAY!

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, combover said:

Pretty lame for the team to be searching and getting permission to talk to other coaches while they leave Green and the team twirling in the wind. 
terrible ownership/ management  and a horrible way to treat an employee. 
if he’s done fire him if not more say so 

this kind of garbage  is why high quality people won’t work for this ownership. 

im sure green is super motivated knowing Scott walker is an option to replace him:picard:

reminds me of how this ownership treated Louie when they were over him.

it’s become more and more evident there is really only one way to get this club back on track and that’s if they sell the team. 

It’s clear  FA doesn’t have the mental capacity to be in charge. 

#SELLTHETEAM 

I hope that’s the chant 

or

#fireAquallini 

I doubt you'd get the whole arena to chant that, but can you imagine? The owner is so prideful that this would surely resonate.

This whole debacle goes to show how badly the owner has made things since the end of the Gillis era - when his hands were clearly tied - through to the Linden thing, and now with Benning making/being forced into making choice that are simply not good long term operational decisions. The theme here is ownership being too involved. Always has been.

The only way forward, I'd say most would agree, is at least a new GM and coach, if not a president that will buffer the owner from the team. The debate lies in how/when to go about these things. Let's put it this way though: if an interim GM and interim coach were put in place and had the same/slightly worse record than what they have under the current ones, would that be worse optically than what is going on now? I'm of the strong opinion that the answer is 'no'. People would kind of expect that to happen. And be okay with it. It would represent the start of a rebuilding process. Would it be worse on our players? Again, no. They'd have a different voice, and could learn from it. They'd immediately escape the dumpster fire that is the current situation. They need that. Now, if the new interim coach/GM were to do *better* than our current group, obviously that's a good thing (like frogurt). Leaving it as is only makes everyting worse (like pottasium benzoate). By not firing both immediately, the owner is again showing he's not thinking in the best long term interests of the team.

I obvs want success for the team and the owner, but I'm sure it's not coming. And I'm sure the new management group will be equally influenced and corrupted by the owner.