The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

What has soured you on JB specifically? 

I want those guys gone as well. They really have not done a good job at all here. And they’ve misjudged on so many levels so often, it’s not even funny.

I was OK with them til 2020 season. Yes, they made mistakes but for a rebuilding team, drafting is what matters the most and he got us 1-2 NHLers every draft. And he kept the important players like Tanev and Edler from the previous regime. And I didn't mind signing a guy like Beagle. I think he was good for the team. 

But then, the decision to walk away from Tanev in favor of Schmidt? That was a huge miss. That disrupted the chemistry so much so that we took many steps back. I'm not going to complain about losing Toffoli because I understand that there were cap restraints due to COVID. But losing Tanev? All he had to do was offer a decent contract and the money we pay Schmidt was more than enough. 

And then, letting Edler walk without having anyone to take over his role?

I was concerned but was cautiously optimistic with the new players coming in.

And then what we see on the ice is just plain pathetic now.

That press conference where he basically said he doesn't know what's wrong and blamed the PK strategy was all I needed to see.

He couldn't admit to the fact that he got so caught up in building a team full of speed and skill that the roster lost balance. And in the NHL, when you have a glaring hole like we do with our team, you aren't going to win many games.

Basically, he turned the Canucks into pre-McDavid Edmonton Oilers.

This team is an embarrassment. This is the first time I feel deeply embarrassed of the team. Even when we were going through down years after 2015 playoffs, I wasn't embarrassed. The team had no prospect in the pipeline and we were rebuilding so I understood that and I still enjoyed watching the games, especially knowing that the Sedins' careers were coming to an end.

Now I know how Edmonton Oilers fans felt back then. And I hate JB for making me understand that feeling lol. I would have preferred if I never found out how that felt.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

Horvat home to the Maple Leafs for 

Kerfoot, Dermott, 1st, Amirov

How does that help us?

Kerfoot is an average third liner.

Dermott is horribly overrated.

Amirov is a long shot prospect.

And the first will be around 20th.

If we’re gonna trade Horvat it needs to be for better futures than that.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, what would you get for Brock? He hasn’t produced nearly the way he should. We’d be selling so low on the guy, would be a bad trade right off the bat. He’s going to bounce back, because this level of performance from him isn’t sustainable over the course of the entire 82 game season. 

I agree.

Don't trade Brock unless someone overpays... I don't see that happening.

Retool the team around the young guys in the similar age group. Add a high draft pick this year and trade Miller to fill gaps in the roster, especially on defensive side, like left shot defenceman and a defensive centerman that doesn't giveaway two glorious chances per game.

We will lose a bit of offence from Miller but I think we have the players to fill that void, namely, Hog, Podz, Boeser, and Garland.

Hog-EP-Boeser

Podz-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-3C we get in Miller trade-Motte

Dowling-Dickinson-Lockwood

Sigh... I wish we still had Gadjovich. He would be perfect on the 4th line playing the energy role in place of Dowling and developing his game with limited minutes.

The roster lost so much balance during the preseason, it's not even funny. That's on Green.

OEL-Myers (again was solid tonight)

Hughes-Hamonic/Schenn (home/away)

new LD-Poolman

Demko

Halak

Make these changes and we will win games. Trust me JB.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

How does that help us?

Kerfoot is an average third liner.

Dermott is horribly overrated.

Amirov is a long shot prospect.

And the first will be around 20th.

If we’re gonna trade Horvat it needs to be for better futures than that.

We don't trade Horvat for that package.

But would you trade Miller for something similar?

Essentially, an LD, average 3C, a late first, and a B level prospect.

I would do it. Would help us win games immediately by just adding an LD that can kill penalties and a 3C with more focus on defensive side of the game and makes less turnovers.

9 minutes ago, khay said:

I was OK with them til 2020 season. Yes, they made mistakes but for a rebuilding team, drafting is what matters the most and he got us 1-2 NHLers every draft. And he kept the important players like Tanev and Edler from the previous regime. And I didn't mind signing a guy like Beagle. I think he was good for the team. 

But then, the decision to walk away from Tanev in favor of Schmidt? That was a huge miss. That disrupted the chemistry so much so that we took many steps back. I'm not going to complain about losing Toffoli because I understand that there were cap restraints due to COVID. But losing Tanev? All he had to do was offer a decent contract and the money we pay Schmidt was more than enough. 

And then, letting Edler walk without having anyone to take over his role?

I was concerned but was cautiously optimistic with the new players coming in.

And then what we see on the ice is just plain pathetic now.

That press conference where he basically said he doesn't know what's wrong and blamed the PK strategy was all I needed to see.

He couldn't admit to the fact that he got so caught up in building a team full of speed and skill that the roster lost balance. And in the NHL, when you have a glaring hole like we do with our team, you aren't going to win many games.

Basically, he turned the Canucks into pre-McDavid Edmonton Oilers.

This team is an embarrassment. This is the first time I feel deeply embarrassed of the team. Even when we were going through down years after 2015 playoffs, I wasn't embarrassed. The team had no prospect in the pipeline and we were rebuilding so I understood that and I still enjoyed watching the games, especially knowing that the Sedins' careers were coming to an end.

Now I know how Edmonton Oilers fans felt back then. And I hate JB for making me understand that feeling lol. I would have preferred if I never found out how that felt.

I hear you. 

I think Benning’s mistake of not retaining Tanev was huge. He helped Hughes so much. And then he didn’t even offer what Schmidt was making. Actually, Tanev is cheaper than what Schmidt was making. I don’t understand Benning would bring in a more offensive minded defenseman, to replace the defensive defenseman he just lost. Was he thinking Schmidt could be a better version of Tanev? 

To me, Benning has made too many mistakes. The worse of them all was just how he doesn’t seem to be coherent about a plan moving forward. He would say one thing, and then he would do the complete opposite. It really did make me feel like we had a moron for a GM. 

That press conference was bad. Probably would’ve been best for the organization if he didn’t speak to the media actually. Statements in the past, when he’s said that he’s “ran out of time” - who the &^@# says that? Especially an individual in an executive position over an NHL team. Who openly admits that they ran out of time, even if it were true? It made him look like a complete fool when he said that. Sportsnet post-game tonight mentioned how they don’t think that Benning would get another GM job in the league. Maybe another position or work (scouting most likely), but not GM. I don’t think they’re wrong on that front. The blunders he’s made, and many of things he says, has not helped him sadly, and hasn’t helped the franchise he’s overseen the last 8 years. 

He’s going to throw Green under the bus. That’s what people do when they’re cornered, and Benning has no choice if he wants to keep his job (for the time being). And Green’s also responsible. But if Benning is going to blame Green, he needs to also realize that he was the one who brought him in, and then extended him for crying out loud. 

The guy just isn’t a good GM. He’s probably a really nice guy, and a great friend to grab a beer with. But that’s not who this organization needs. We need a quality GM who knows what he’s doing, who has a plan, who has a backbone to stand up and not agree with everything that Francesco wants. 

I have never been so apathetic about this team ever

We are now the laughing stock of the league. That’s hard to do when Buffalo is in the league. 

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, khay said:

I agree.

Don't trade Brock unless someone overpays... I don't see that happening.

Retool the team around the young guys in the similar age group. Add a high draft pick this year and trade Miller to fill gaps in the roster, especially on defensive side, like left shot defenceman and a defensive centerman that doesn't giveaway two glorious chances per game.

We will lose a bit of offence from Miller but I think we have the players to fill that void, namely, Hog, Podz, Boeser, and Garland.

Hog-EP-Boeser

Podz-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-3C we get in Miller trade-Motte

Dowling-Dickinson-Lockwood

Sigh... I wish we still had Gadjovich. He would be perfect on the 4th line playing the energy role in place of Dowling and developing his game with limited minutes.

The roster lost so much balance during the preseason, it's not even funny. That's on Green.

OEL-Myers (again was solid tonight)

Hughes-Hamonic/Schenn (home/away)

new LD-Poolman

Demko

Halak

Make these changes and we will win games. Trust me JB.

And Elias too right? If you’re going to include Brock who has produced almost as little as Petey, then you gotta include Petey in that list. The Canucks will go as far as EP will take them. And the way he’s going this season reflects that. I think this season is going to be his worse season of his career/life. But he’ll bounce back next season to be better, much better. What we’re seeing right now, isn’t him. 

Yeah, I’m not sure what Green was thinking letting go Big Mac and Gadjovich. The team can’t be made up of entirely speedsters.

I’m expecting some sort of firing when the team is back home. Especially if they lose tomorrow against Montréal and then Ottawa. 

There’s not much more we can say about the team. All the talk is really about management all the time it seems. 

It’s depressing. 

Edited by N4ZZY
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, N4ZZY said:

And Elias too right? If you’re going to include Brock who has produced almost as little as Petey, then you gotta include Petey in that list. The Canucks will go as far as EP will take them. And the way he’s going this season reflects that. I think this season is going to be his worse season of his career/life. But he’ll bounce back next season to be better, much better. What we’re seeing right now, isn’t him. 

Yeah, I’m not sure what Green was thinking letting go Big Mac and Gadjovich. The team can’t be made up of entirely speedsters.

I’m expecting some sort of firing when the team is back home. Especially if they lose tomorrow against Montréal and then Ottawa. 

There’s not much more we can say about the team. All the talk is really about management

EP as well for sure. I only included wingers for some reason.

19 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

The Linden trade set the franchise up with core pieces/assets for the next 15-20 years.

I think the Linden trade tree actually didn't end until Markstrom was let go in free agency

If we are rebuilding and we are getting a Bertuzzi, a McCabe, and a Ruutu then sure. Let's trade Horvat.

If we are retooling, we need Horvat. 

Retool around,

Podz-EP-Boeser  (yes he's sucking this year but we need two RH shooting winger)

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

OEL

Hughes

Demko

Although we suck now, the roster has good pieces to build around. Defence needs work though. 

Horvat is good in the dot and has a bulky frame but doesn't play with much bite. 

Doesn't hit and take the body or block shots enough.

Not a very good passer and doesn't use his wingers very well or much on offence.

Bit of a power forward playing center bull in a china shop approach at times. Relies on individual efforts.

He is a lesser version of prime Ryan Kesler at this point.

He won't be getting any Selke consideration because his defensive game has been overrated.

On a strong playoff contender he is an ideal elite 3C candidate though.

A team like the Penguins or Flyers would love to have Horvat as would a bunch of other teams.

As long as he is on a team where he doesn't have pressure to product offence nightly in the top 6 he would do great.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Ideally I'd love for Bo to be part of the solution here but if the new management team wants to reset a bit and go with EP/Hughes/Demko as the core, I would pull the trigger given the right return.

What new management team. 

10 hours ago, KKnight said:

I'd be very disappointed if we traded Bo. I would question even being a canuck fan at that point, just seems illogical. We need different leadership at the top. Say what you want about Gillis, at least the guy had the players backs and did everything in his power to make them the best he could. Sleep doctors, top training, nothing was out of the question. He showed leadership. 

This is pretty questionable. Gillis did care about his players, but he was also gifted a core that were all generally in their prime. Gillis gets way too much credit for adding decent supplementary players. (Which he did)

Gillis also reversed mortgaged on the team, to the point where we had nothing good. Horvat came as a result of trading Schneider, our only true goalie prospect. Hodgson was a high first round pick. He also whiffed badly on every single pick.

Not to mention how he mismanaged the Luongo situation.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

With the right return trading one or both of Horvat and Miller would make sense.  For everything we like about Bo he’s basically a #2 offensive Center.  I was hopeful he would grow into being the shutdown Center.  First over the boards on the pk.  Unfortunately what we see is what we get.  He’s strong on the draws but not really suited to a shutdown role.  Offense tends to be very streaky.  Good player but probably we are seeing his ceiling.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

This is pretty questionable. Gillis did care about his players, but he was also gifted a core that were all generally in their prime. Gillis gets way too much credit for adding decent supplementary players. (Which he did)

Gillis also reversed mortgaged on the team, to the point where we had nothing good. Horvat came as a result of trading Schneider, our only true goalie prospect. Hodgson was a high first round pick. He also whiffed badly on every single pick.

Not to mention how he mismanaged the Luongo situation.

Well, if Benning could copy Gillis manouvers and reach the final He would certainly copy everything and don’t bother about five years.