The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Inactivity creating a lack of trust for fans (?)

Rate this topic

PetterssonOrPeterson

7 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

They should have taken action on Benning two years ago when he let Tanev and Toffoli walk and Green this past summer. The damage is already done. 

The team has a culture of accepting losing and blaming everything but themselves from the top down. Even if they make changes now it’s too late to see it as anything but money motivated, not actually giving a $&!# about the team salvaging the season.

I agree. 

Does this mean we shoud blow it all up then? Go all in for wright, trade miller for another first round pick and then some? 

At this point it seems the owners have written it off, so why the heck not. 

1 minute ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I agree. 

Does this mean we shoud blow it all up then? Go all in for wright, trade miller for another first round pick and then some? 

At this point it seems the owners have written it off, so why the heck not. 

I don’t know if it needs to be a complete tear down. What they should do is get a new, experienced PoHO and a new GM team who can come in and evaluate what is here and most importantly decide on a long term plan that all the short term moves are designed to build toward. 

Give this group the rest of this lost season under an interim coach and review available coaches to find one who actually coaches the team to play the way the organizational plan suggests they need to.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The problems with this team stem from ownership, management, and coaching.

oh is that all? :lol:

There is no actual long term plan. Just a series of neck breaking about faces each offseason. 

I do think Aqulini is an OK owner, its just he's made some mistakes in his hiring since Gillis but they were well intentioned.

I just don't understand the lack of moving on a coach... a decent coach should have been able to keep this roster competitive to the last few weeks of the season.

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

oh is that all? :lol:

I do think Aqulini is an OK owner, its just he's made some mistakes in his hiring since Gillis but they were well intentioned.

I just don't understand the lack of moving on a coach... a decent coach should have been able to keep this roster competitive to the last few weeks of the season.

Aquilini is an ok owner. I think the real issues started developing because he seems to be far too involved in hockey decisions. A PoHO is a must with a meddling owner IMO.

One thing that has hurt the Canucks is that Benning and Weisbrod have essentially hollowed out the front office and consolidated almost all micro management and decision making with them. 

Weak, insecure leaders hire weak, insecure people they can dominate and influence. Aquilini is an ok owner but he is a weak leader. Benning is a lackey when it comes to overall direction of the team IMO. Can’t ever tell Aquilini what he needs to hear and accept. If he could Green and company would already be long gone. Unfortunately, Benning and Weisbrod have also surrounded themselves with weak yes men who won’t rock the boat.

That kind of insecure, myopic leadership ALWAYS causes any organization to be a tire fire.

Aquilini is an ok owner. I think the real issues started developing because he seems to be far too involved in hockey decisions. A PoHO is a must with a meddling owner IMO.

One thing that has hurt the Canucks is that Benning and Weisbrod have essentially hollowed out the front office and consolidated almost all micro management and decision making with them. 

Weak, insecure leaders hire weak, insecure people they can dominate and influence. Aquilini is an ok owner but he is a weak leader. Benning is a lackey when it comes to overall direction of the team IMO. Can’t ever tell Aquilini what he needs to hear and accept. If he could Green and company would already be long gone. Unfortunately, Benning and Weisbrod have also surrounded themselves with weak yes men who won’t rock the boat.

That kind of insecure, myopic leadership ALWAYS causes any organization to be a tire fire.

I can agree with this generally, other than I don't think Aqua  (or family) is a weak owner, they wouldn't have built what they have if they were. He has allowed Jim and Weisbrod way too much rope tho, thats for damn sure.

At this point I'd actually be OK with something like bringing back Gillis as PHO and Mellanby and GM.

Just now, JM_ said:

I can agree with this generally, other than I don't think Aqua  (or family) is a weak owner, they wouldn't have built what they have if they were. He has allowed Jim and Weisbrod way too much rope tho, thats for damn sure.

At this point I'd actually be OK with something like bringing back Gillis as PHO and Mellanby and GM.

I meant a weak leader in the sense of not hiring the best people and trusting them to do their job. That’s what strong organizational leaders do. 

Weisbrod has been a cancer everywhere he has been. He is more interested in building his own power within an organization than being able to actually do the job. The minute we hired him I knew it would end up a tire fire.

• Vintage 1

I meant a weak leader in the sense of not hiring the best people and trusting them to do their job. That’s what strong organizational leaders do. 

Weisbrod has been a cancer everywhere he has been. He is more interested in building his own power within an organization than being able to actually do the job. The minute we hired him I knew it would end up a tire fire.

yeah that guy is for sure. In a recent Benning interview someone asked him what JW did.... and Jim's answer was very non-specific, "lots of stuff" basically. Which is kind of scary since its clear he really relies on JW as his sounding board for ideas. Kind of makes sense that things aren't going well if I'm correct.

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

yeah that guy is for sure. In a recent Benning interview someone asked him what JW did.... and Jim's answer was very non-specific, "lots of stuff" basically. Which is kind of scary since its clear he really relies on JW as his sounding board for ideas. Kind of makes sense that things aren't going well if I'm correct.

Weisbrod has been positioning himself from day 1 to take over as GM IMO. 

• Sad 1

Gear and syml as co interim gms

and shaw as temp coach. 

All under contract costs FA very little  

while relieving the tensions from fans and players. 
everyone knows it’s coming just get it over with and start to move away from this circus accident. 

I would, after 40+ years, immediately stop being a Canuck fan until he was fired. Likely after he had wrecked the team even more.

I'd still be a fan but I'd save my $ on going to games and SNNow package, thats for sure. CDC tho is an addiction.

3 minutes ago, combover said:

Gear and syml as co interim gms

and shaw as temp coach. 

All under contract costs FA very little  

while relieving the tensions from fans and players. 
everyone knows it’s coming just get it over with and start to move away from this circus accident. 

what would you think about Gillis for PHO, Mellanby GM? is that even worth contemplating?

18 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'd still be a fan but I'd save my $ on going to games and SNNow package, thats for sure. CDC tho is an addiction.

I have bought season tickets for 18 years although I don’t live at the coast. I usually manage to go to 2 or 3 games every year. I have never sold a single ticket in that time. I give them away to various organizations so that kids can get a chance to go to games.

I tell you that because it would take a lot to get me to stop doing that. I have not had the heart to stop, not because of the Canucks but because of the kids. It is getting to the point though where I might end that as I cant justify giving any money to this team anymore. 

I could get season tickets for another team (and likely way cheaper) and do the same thing though.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1