The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marc Bergevin for General Manager ?

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

Lol Bergevin was the laughing stock on these boards for years.

Honestly, never thought he was that bad, but not sure he's what we need either.  His draft record (even though it was his blind faith in Trevor Timmins) is really bad.  He really never had a plan as well.  even though in retrospect he did some good trades, he was all over the place.  He traded Subban for Weber, which IMO was a short-term win but would be a long-term loss (turned out it was a win-win) but still when you do that move, then you got to put your chips all in.  He signed Radulov to a show-me what you got contract, and after Radulov delivered refused to follow through and sign him long-term for a few 100k difference.  Signed Subban long-term then traded him not long after.  Traded Pacioretty for Suzuki, which turned out good, but IMO was contrary to what he did with the Weber trade.   He raises his chips early then folds without going all-in then plays safe for the next few hands, he's all over the place.  For these reasons, I would pass.

Nah.

He lost all credibility as a general manager when he knowingly drafted a sex criminal.  I've been critical of management here (rightfully so) but our guys have at least made some efforts to properly vet players who get brought in and represent the team.

Of course, this is the NHL and this team does employ Todd Harvey, so what do I know?

• Cheers 4
  • Wat 1

5 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

No thanks. Luckily we don't have a "has to be fluent in French before he's actually good at his job" requirement. 

Hard pass.

Habs are learning.  Gorton has I believe complete control of operations.  They’ll just hire a “GM” in name only for PR purposes/ optics.  So as long as the Habs are winning, the local media there won’t say much.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Why ? Do you have a list of bad moves that he's done ?

Yeah.  The Montreal Canadians.  Hahahah

Other than the one year that Price dragged them to the playoffs, they have sucked.  

He has a track record of a mediocre built team.  
No thanks. 

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

He won trades that everyone thought he was robbed on. He was a laughing stock for Subban-Weber trade. Galchenyuk for Domi, then Domi for Anderson. Danualt and Romanov for Weiss and Fleichmann was a steal. Same with Petry at deadline. He wasn’t afraid to make big moves. The guy could make hockey trades and handle the pressure.

Keep Benning on as a scouting consultant if he can't find work.

Dmv1ak5WwAIO6zf.jpg

No Thank You Reaction GIF

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Habs are learning.  Gorton has I believe complete control of operations.  They’ll just hire a “GM” in name only for PR purposes/ optics.  So as long as the Habs are winning, the local media there won’t say much.

I wanted the Canucks to hire Gorton :(

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yup. Gorton is definitely running the show in Montreal.

They will hire a francophone GM to be the “face” of the team’s management, but he will be answering to the Executive VP on pretty much all matter related to Hockey Ops.

I think the Habs would be well served hiring a guy like Luongo, or a similar profile former NHL player born in Quebec, for GM.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1