The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Bring back Toffoli

Me_

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

He can also sign a 8 year contract that looks better long term...........

It is not fair to make hypotheticals, that could be anything

That goes for both of us.............

lol there's no way he's looking for a long term contract with the way he's playing right now.. if anything he'll be signing the 1 year QO and bank of himself to rebound next year. the way he's playing right now he's worth even less of a cap hit than he's currently signed for. will he accept 8x5mil? prolly not he just needs to sign his QO twice and even if he bets on himself and lose he just needs to make roughly 4mil a season for the next 6 afterward and he would have earned the same amount. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And what if he blows out his knee or only scores 10 goals?  Why would a player risk playing 2 consecutive years on a one year deal?  

Also, Montreal isn't going to let him simply walk away for free.  They will trade him like what happened with Seth Jones.  

Or, they can just move Toffoli for a high end prospect or picks and fully embrace the rebuild. Boeser isn’t really a piece that fits if they’re going rebuild. If they’re  retooling the raise he’s going to require doesn’t fit either.  So can we put the Boeser to Montreal discussion to bed? 

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Or, they can just move Toffoli for a high end prospect or picks and fully embrace the rebuild. Boeser isn’t really a piece that fits if they’re going rebuild. If they’re  retooling the raise he’s going to require doesn’t fit either.  So can we put the Boeser to Montreal discussion to bed? 

I wouldn't trade Boeser for Toffoli.  If we are trading Boeser we need to get a 3C and some help on defense.  Klimovich can fill a role on RW next year.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Just as I told you several wks ago..with the Habs, you've gotta start employing some re____ words (vamp, jig, build, etc...) My early prediction of a bottom-10 finish ain't lookin' so bad, eh?

Like the kiss of death when MB denied they should rebuild, a few days back. That run last spring was pretty lucky. His draft choice was insane - & how quickly karma chomped his @$$!

If we're dealing with Habs, I'd rather they go after Edmundson, anyways...

I think it could be an interesting idea if Benning is fired and a GM brought back Tof. Benning's summer that year (rumoured to be actually the fault of Aqualini) obviously had a hugely negative impact on the dressing room. I think it's too late for 'sorry' from Benning but if someone new took over and wanted to reunite the room, I don't think it would necessarily be a terrible move if it's a fair hockey trade - it's just hard to see it in the Canucks' current context. What could they give up that would actually benefit them in acquiring Tofu?

13 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Right. Except my point is 100% fact.  If he doesn’t want yo stay in Montreal and they’re not willing to pay him $7.5m then he becomes a free agent.  So they lose Toffoli, Kulak and a 2nd for 3/4 of a list season of a struggling Boeser.  That qualifying offer presents a lot of risk to Montreal 

Just pointing out, if Toffoli doesnt want to stay in montreal, he definitely doesnt want to come to Van.

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wouldn't trade Boeser for Toffoli.  If we are trading Boeser we need to get a 3C and some help on defense.  Klimovich can fill a role on RW next year.

Tinfoili has come back down to earth to his usual production levels, which aren't worth losing Boeser over. It makes no sense to trade a guy entering his prime years for a declining one that doesn't bring anything special. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I was talking about Boeser (if he was traded to Montreal).  He’s a pending RFA with a huge qualifying offer 

Right, gotcha. Good point. Trades now are so complicated, it's amazing GM's can make any moves at all, let alone trying to "win" a trade.

You've got salary cap, QO's, RFA's, RFA years, NTC, NMC's, Divisional issues, Local taxes, positional issues, picks, media scrutiny, locker room fit.... ugh, ca you imagine trying to navigate all that.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Tinfoili has come back down to earth to his usual production levels, which aren't worth losing Boeser over. It makes no sense to trade a guy entering his prime years for a declining one that doesn't bring anything special. 

Now that Montreal is back to only playing Van twice in a year, Toffoli's numbers have settled back to normal! 

• Haha 1

Just now, JayDangles said:

Now that Montreal is back to only playing Van twice in a year, Toffoli's numbers have settled back to normal! 

yeah the "north" was thing that will never come again (hopefully), his numbers from that are not an indication of what he's been before or now. He's a decent 2nd line winger. Brock still has the potential to be much more. It would be silly to move them 1:1.