The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Hamonic for Jarnkrok and change from within

Coaching Staff

-Head Coach Travis Green and

Assistant Coach Kyle Gustafson relieved of duties. 

-Assistant Coach Brad Shaw promoted in duties to Interim Head Coach.

-Abbotsford Canucks Associate Coach

Gary Agnew promoted in duties to

Assistant Coach in Vancouver.

(Bruce Boudreau hired as Abbotsford Canucks Associate Coach)

-Abbotsford Canucks Assistant Coach

Jeff Ulmer promoted in duties to

Assistant Coach in Vancouver.

(Derek Dorsett hired as Abbotsford Canucks Assistant Coach)

Transactions
|Kraken acquires: D Travis Hamonic

3rd Round Draft Pick 2024

Canucks acquire: F Calle Jarnkrok

7th Round Draft Pick 2023|

-F Justin Dowling and D Brad Hunt placed on Waivers to get assigned to Abbotsford.

-D Guillaume Brisebois and F Sheldon Dries recalled from Abbotsford.

Line-Up

Hoglander -Pettersson- Boeser

Pearson -Horvat- Garland

Podkolzin -Miller- Jarnkrok

Motte -Dickinson- Chiasson

Lammikko              Dries                      

Ekman-Larsson - Poolman
Hughes - Myers

Brisebois - Schenn

Burroughs 

Demko

Halak

LTIR

Highmore

Keeper

Sutter

Ferland

Abbotsford 

Di Giuseppe -Klimovich- Bailey

Petan -Focht- Lockwood

Dowling -Stevens- Rempal

Arseneau -Wouters- Lukosevicius

Keppen -Nielsen- Plasek

Sautner - Bowey
Rathbone - Woo

Stephens - Juulsen

Brubacher - Hunt
Schilling - Kannok-Leipert

DiPietro

Silovs

Martin

It might be time for Green and his Portland connection wingman Gustafson; to go. Shaw seems like a good brain and fit for interim head coach. Worked for St.Louis in 2019 and was a similar situation. Gary Agnew has been a head and assistant coach in the NHL for a very long time and was an assistant with the Penguins when they won the first of back to back cups in 2016. Jeff Ulmer was the director of player development for the Coyotes from 2018-2020 so he knows about things at the NHL level and is familiar being around Ekman-Larsson and Garland. And was part of Garlands development for that matter. Boudreau and Dorsett are perfect replacement as wingman coaches under

Trent Cull in Abbotsford in order to keep the prospects developing nicely. The Kraken could use another veteran RHD and we need another right handed forward that has speed to burn, PK ability and versatility, grit, and provides secondary scoring. Jarnkrok checks all the boxes and would be a very good mentor to two fellow Swedes in Pettersson and Hoglander. He doesn’t fit in with the Kraken enough especially with Blackwell healthy now and they can afford to move him. He’s a UFA after this season anyway and likely not being kept. We give them a higher pick due to Hamonics off ice uncertainty the last three months and because they take on an extra $1 Million in cap for an extra year. Dowling should be in Abbotsford for now and Dries leads the team in scoring down there with a red hot pace of 14 points in 12 games. He also has experience playing in a checking role for Colorado a lot when injuries hit them. He might be able to help the PK just a little and our team could use some tweaking. Bring Brisebois up to fill that LHD spot for now and see where his development is at. He’s played well in Abbotsford so far.

• Wat 1

I don’t think we are in a position to subtract a defencemen without adding one.

I do like the idea of bringing up Brisebois though. Could be the 3rd pairing LD we need. It was unfortunate he was injured through training camp 

21 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I don’t think we are in a position to subtract a defencemen without adding one.

I do like the idea of bringing up Brisebois though. Could be the 3rd pairing LD we need. It was unfortunate he was injured through training camp 

People say that every time I propose a Hamonic trade but he’s not a part of the picture. He hasn’t been on any of the road trips and didn’t make any difference at all in the 7 games he played. If anything he made us worse and Burroughs has been just as good if not better for a fraction of the salary. And yeah hopefully Brisebois is feeling strong and confident. Our LHD is the issue. Our RHDs have played lights out.

Myers- His best season as a Canuck IMO

Poolman- Better every game and jumping into the play a lot more.

Schenn- Playing like a true 2x Stanley Cup winner and former 5th overall pick self.
Has settled Hughes down. 

Case of better with age?

Burroughs- Late bloomer. Better every game. Underrated skating and puck movement. Tenacious little bugger. Sticks up for teammates. Last name is fitting because he’s Alex Burrows but right handed and as a D-man.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

People say that every time I propose a Hamonic trade but he’s not a part of the picture. He hasn’t been on any of the road trips and didn’t make any difference at all in the 7 games he played. If anything he made us worse and Burroughs has been just as good if not better for a fraction of the salary. And yeah hopefully Brisebois is feeling strong and confident. Our LHD is the issue. Our RHDs have played lights out.

Myers- His best season as a Canuck IMO

Poolman- Better every game and jumping into the play a lot more.

Schenn- Playing like a true 2x Stanley Cup winner and former 5th overall pick self.
Has settled Hughes down. 

Case of better with age?

Burroughs- Late bloomer. Better every game. Underrated skating and puck movement. Tenacious little bugger. Sticks up for teammates. Last name is fitting because he’s Alex Burrows but right handed and as a D-man.

I’ve never had a problem with Myers. I think him and OEL are great together. With Hammer  we won’t have to worry about the road trips no longer. I think we need him and the depth of we are to magically get some wins together.

Thing with Hamonic is he’s tough as nails and a good penalty killer. Schenn had been good but he shouldn’t be a regular. He’s at point in his career where he fits in nicely for injuries but play him long term in a top 6 won’t go well. He’s needs to be very fresh as he’s a poor skaters. Does everything else right though and a great guy to have around the team. Also don’t mind Burroughs but ideally these are you 7th and 8th Dmen. 

IMO 

• Upvote 1

I also question what Dorsett has done that should garner him an assistant job at the AHL level. He's coaching, but he's yet to even coach for any reputable minor league. I'm not saying I'd mind, but I question the fit. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

As for the actual trade, Jarnkrok would be neat but I'm not sure I see the organization moving Hamonic out after they supported him the way they did. He hasn't hurt us when he's played, we miss him when he's out of the lineup. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I also question what Dorsett has done that should garner him an assistant job at the AHL level. He's coaching, but he's yet to even coach for any reputable minor league. I'm not saying I'd mind, but I question the fit. 

Infectious character, competitor, and leader. All he has to do is bring that to a bench as an assistant in the AHL to begin.

He was a full time effective NHLer so he has knowledge to pass on too.

Edited by ZH96
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

Infectious character, competitor, and leader. All he has to do is bring that to a bench as an assistant in the AHL to begin.

He was a full time effective NHLer so he has knowledge to pass on too.

Fair enough, he'd be far from the first player to step into a coaching or front office role lacking experience 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Fair enough, he'd be far from the first player to step into a coaching or front office role lacking experience 

I also personally just really want him back involved in the organization here. His neck injury ending his career was brutal.
He’s the best enforcer, leader, and speedy grinder I’ve seen on the Canucks since the likes of Rick Rypien and Jannik Hansen.
When Dorsetts career stopped he was in the middle of another career year with the Canucks, had more goals than McDavid

(not a joke), was leading the league in PIMS, being a mentor to Horvat, and was adored by his teammates and the fans. It’s no coincidence to me that the last time we made the playoffs without being gifted a berth due to a pandemic; that Dorsett was on the team. Guy was supremely under-appreciated for what he did for the team.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

I also personally just really want him back involved in the organization here. His neck injury ending his career was brutal.
He’s the best enforcer, leader, and speedy grinder I’ve seen on the Canucks since the likes of Rick Rypien and Jannik Hansen.
When Dorsetts career stopped he was in the middle of another career year with the Canucks, had more goals than McDavid

(not a joke), was leading the league in PIMS, being a mentor to Horvat, and was adored by his teammates and the fans. It’s no coincidence to me that the last time we made the playoffs without being gifted a berth due to a pandemic; that Dorsett was on the team. Guy was supremely under-appreciated for what he did for the team.

Losing him was a big loss, we never effectively replaced him. Ferland could have if his health had held up, but it wasn't to be. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

He's a former Canuck and thus good at coaching. If there is one thing 53 years of Canucks management has taught us is that hiring alumni always works out.

Edited by McBackup
  • Haha 2

When in the lineup, Hamonic makes us better defensively. I can't see us moving him.

I generally like Myers, but he's the one I see as would be the logical move to get someone who can act as a true shutdown guy on the penalty kill. We need to emphasize his offense to build his numbers. Would make him much more attractive for a team going into the playoffs who thinks they need more offense from the blueline to really compete for the cup.