The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks for Kids Fund Receives $50,000 Gift from Elias Pettersson

Rate this topic

The Arrogant Worms

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

That's your take on it.

The flip side is, it raises awareness and challenges others.  In my view, it's classless to weigh in with anything negative when someone donates.  It's publicized for a reason...big names draw attention and so this brings attention to the charity/ies as well, not just the donor.

Im an anonymous poster on the internet. Not a millionaire tooting my own horn for donating .68 percent of my yearly salary.

Its well known people shouldn’t toot their horns when donating, its common courtesy and respect. Did he do it for the publicity? If so he used a children program for his own personal image…

I am generally not negative, but sorry Just because I don’t bend over and take the bs that this team has been dishing out doesn’t make me classless and negative.

• RoughGame 3

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

So did you donate $300-$1,000 this year?

My guess is many slamming this gesture donate even less of their earnings.   For some, zero.

It may not meet some people's approval in relation to how it scales to his earnings, but every bit helps.  Be part of the solution, not the problem (solution being getting out there and topping things up if you don't feel others are doing a good enough job.  Not criticizing those who do chip in...at least they're doing something).

Why ask someone what they donated? Thats classless. Your assuming the person makes x amount of money and or can afford to donate.

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 3

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

its just a head shaker how some people are reacting to this.

Was it just as "bad" when McDavid did something similar?

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mcdavid-donates-85k-to-charity-supporting-indigenous-kids-1.4089498

Im a Canucks  fan and don’t care about mcdavid. But if he is tooting his own horn then it is classless. 

• RoughGame 3

&^@# sign me up for a photo shoot I donated $500

sorry it's classless and I don’t like it. I prefer players on the team I cheer for to be classy. If you don’t like my opinion, doesn’t bother me at all. I agree donations and generosity is one of the best things in life, but it should be done from a place of generosity and not a tit for tat. Look what I did I’m a great person. 

D262B3D8-BF83-4E47-9EEA-6DE2769D753F.thumb.jpeg.27ebd77e3e6801d7b0f83f9e92c2b3b2.jpeg

• RoughGame 2

After having reflected on this issue. I should say I have no clue why Pettersson or McDavid among other choose to be public about their donations. So I am wrong in assuming and giving judgment (which isn’t mine to give)

I was always taught that donating should be anonymous so as to not for be for any personal gain.

But having said that as others have mentioned. The organization may have wanted the person to publicly release the info for publicity.

• Cheers 2

58 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

Im a Canucks  fan and don’t care about mcdavid. But if he is tooting his own horn then it is classless. 

I'm guessing you don't put gravy on your mashed potatoes.

You have a strange sense of whats 'tooting' your own horn. Did it occur to you that Canucks for Kids wanted the press release? And why they wanted it?

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Wow, just wow.
“Players don’t want to play in Canada because of the negative media. Media here is crap.” 

Local hockey player donates $50,000 and gets roasted by his own team’s “fans.”

yup, its the toxicity we are becoming known for. And look, some of it coming from Alberta. Coincidence?

• Cheers 3

37 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

After having reflected on this issue. I should say I have no clue why Pettersson or McDavid among other choose to be public about their donations. So I am wrong in assuming and giving judgment (which isn’t mine to give)

I was always taught that donating should be anonymous so as to not for be for any personal gain.

But having said that as others have mentioned. The organization may have wanted the person to publicly release the info for publicity.

Because it helps the charities. People get inspired to give too when they see their team or hero's doing things like this. There's nothing sinister here or uppity.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Because it helps the charities. People get inspired to give too when they see their team or hero's doing things like this. There's nothing sinister here or uppity.

Exactly it's called PR. I see nothing wrong with it.

I can't believe people are upset that someone donated money.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

27 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I always question the intent of a good deed when it is advertised by the individual who committed the deed. 

Fine, now if you can show a receipt, indicating E.P advertised this, I'd note your scepticism. 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

The charity wants publicity so they want donations like this going public.

They get more donations if so.

No brainer here…

Edited by Timråfan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I meant in general, I should have clarified. I'm not talking about EP specifically and I don't really care if he did or not

I will admit I do find it annoying as heck when a company announces a donation, making it sound like they did it when it actually came from their customers wallets.

"Walmart, and their customers donated $xxxxxx to the United way".

I call bs, Walmart didn't donate a thing, all they did was collect other peoples donations into a pile, and then take credit.

That maybe my own pet peeve, but because of it I never donate to any store that is collecting for charity.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

The charity wants publicity so they want donations like this going public.

They get more donations if so.

No brainer here…

Totally agree.  The charity likely asked Petey to go public, because he’s a respected, high profile person.  Fo anyone to criticize Petey for donating to charity is beyond stupid.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

&^@# sign me up for a photo shoot I donated $500

sorry it's classless and I don’t like it. I prefer players on the team I cheer for to be classy. If you don’t like my opinion, doesn’t bother me at all. I agree donations and generosity is one of the best things in life, but it should be done from a place of generosity and not a tit for tat. Look what I did I’m a great person. 

D262B3D8-BF83-4E47-9EEA-6DE2769D753F.thumb.jpeg.27ebd77e3e6801d7b0f83f9e92c2b3b2.jpeg

You must hate Daniel and Henrik. Two classes pukes those 2.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

• -DLC- locked this topic