The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The 2022 WJHC Thread

Rate this topic

HKSR

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I just buy TSN for a month. Not too expensive, so it's worth it to get each game in decent quality.

I was looking at getting Shaw TV back. I looked at it. Looked at it some more. And thought. Why am I paying $70 basically for a lot of channels I'll never watch. 

So I'm doing the same adding TSN for a month. Then I'll cancel it. 

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

How's Guenther been looking so far?  (Also wonder if any fans have seller's remorse given how he was taken with what was our #9 pick).

I was thinking about that as well. We won't know for a few years. 

In hindsight we should have let the bad contracts run out and continue building thru the draft. But hindsight is 20/20.

Garland is a pretty good player and still pretty young. 

I'm glad JR has said he won't be trading away 1st round picks any time soon.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

In hindsight we should have let the bad contracts run out and continue building thru the draft. But hindsight is 20/20.

I'm glad that at the time of the draft, McTavish, Hughes and Johnson were already gone so it's not like there were any top C's or D available.
My thought has always been we don't really need more wingers. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I'm glad that at the time of the draft, McTavish, Hughes and Johnson were already gone so it's not like there were any top C's or D available.
My thought has always been we don't really need more wingers. 

Yup.  Garland is way better than Geunther.  And we got OEL, who has helped our D (especially Hughes) do better.  Look at how terrible Chychrun is now without OEL taking the hard minutes.  I think that was a great trade for us.  Garland and OEL are fantastic players.  

On 12/24/2021 at 12:28 PM, Phil_314 said:

How's Guenther been looking so far?  (Also wonder if any fans have seller's remorse given how he was taken with what was our #9 pick).

It actually stings a little less because he was the only one left. 

2021 was a very shallow draft. A few players have taken significant steps forward after having been to NHL camps, etc. 

22 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I don’t understand this sentiment around 1st draft picks. Every 1st we’ve traded have been some of the best trades we’ve ever had. You gotta give up something valuable to get back something good in return. As long as the guy/s we get back are relatively young I’ve got no problem moving 1sts. I know it makes for a boring draft day, but I don’t watch because of the draft, I watch because I want to watch the best Canucks hockey possible so we have a shot at the cup. If that means trading high draft picks so be it.

28 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I don’t understand this sentiment around 1st draft picks. Every 1st we’ve traded have been some of the best trades we’ve ever had. You gotta give up something valuable to get back something good in return. As long as the guy/s we get back are relatively young I’ve got no problem moving 1sts. I know it makes for a boring draft day, but I don’t watch because of the draft, I watch because I want to watch the best Canucks hockey possible so we have a shot at the cup. If that means trading high draft picks so be it.

It's the fact that now the shelves are close bare. Unless we get a lot of surprises among our prospects. But we are very thin on defensive and centre prospects. Especially ones with size/speed and skill. 

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's the fact that now the shelves are close bare. Unless we get a lot of surprises among our prospects. But we are very thin on defensive and centre prospects. Especially ones with size/speed and skill. 

Ghost I would disagree on the defensive side.  

We don't have any blue chippers but we have a lot of lottery tickets.  D-men develop a lot later then forwards so I actually  don't mind this strategy.  

Joni Jurmo 

Jacob Truscott 

Jonathan Myrenberg 

Hugo Gabrielsson 

Viktor Persson 

Jett Woo 

Toni Utunen 

I'm willing to call Utunen a very good Liiga d-man and write him off.  Jett Woo may not crack the NHL either.  However you then have a two year gap between them and the next guys in Persson, Truscott, and Jurmo.  Myrenberg and Gabrielson are freshly drafted so it's much too early to say anything other then the fact that Myrenberg already has 10 SHL games under his belt.  

Most of these guys are 6 ft and taller and close to 200 lbs, so wouldn't call them small.  Hopefully we don't trade out our next Gustav Forsling who took 6 years after being drafted to become a full time NHLer. 

6 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Ghost I would disagree on the defensive side.  

We don't have any blue chippers but we have a lot of lottery tickets.  D-men develop a lot later then forwards so I actually  don't mind this strategy.  

Joni Jurmo 

Jacob Truscott 

Jonathan Myrenberg 

Hugo Gabrielsson 

Viktor Persson 

Jett Woo 

Toni Utunen 

I'm willing to call Utunen a very good Liiga d-man and write him off.  Jett Woo may not crack the NHL either.  However you then have a two year gap between them and the next guys in Persson, Truscott, and Jurmo.  Myrenberg and Gabrielson are freshly drafted so it's much too early to say anything other then the fact that Myrenberg already has 10 SHL games under his belt.  

Most of these guys are 6 ft and taller and close to 200 lbs, so wouldn't call them small.  Hopefully we don't trade out our next Gustav Forsling who took 6 years after being drafted to become a full time NHLer. 

That's why I qualified it saying unless we get some surprises. :)