The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Epp Dropping "Truth" Bombs???

Rate this topic

Shirotashi

I get where he is coming from but he goes too far. When an agent is THIS irate you know

the players are probably sharing some if not all of the same feelings which is in a way both

astounding and yet understandable. Its also completely ignorant of major factors like the 

floods in BC and covid and there effects on the psyke and morale of the fanbase right now.

Its actually almost grotesque in how ignorant it is right now for him to say these things. 

The fanbase has not been THAT negative we have low morale and look to the team for a 

lift so when we get the opposite of course your going to see a reaction this venomous. 

It could be WAYYYY worse are? You? Kidding? ME? 

I dont think all the players share this opinion, I think the switched on ones realize how lucky

they are and take things one day at a time. 

If your a player and just happen to be reading this and DON'T agree ask yourself

Are you a Nurse or a Doctor in a pandemic? 

Are you a Paramedic?

Are you a logger?

Are you a cop?

Are you in the armed forces?

Im not going to rate these jobs vs. yours but think about it for a second.

Anyways heres the video:

• Wat 2
  • Vintage 1

I wanted to add how little he considers how much media blows things out of proportion.

He hears 6 people call in and hate up on things for a few min RIGHT after the game is over

and he thinks thats an accurate representation of the fanbase.

I know of NO ONE that laments the picks we gave up for Garland and OEL. That is 

beyond ridiculous the fanbase LOVES those guys and with E riksson gone no one 

thinks thats a bad deal.

Edited by Shirotashi
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Let's not act like Kevin Epp is the first and only guy that's talked about this.  

Kevin Bieksa has echoed the same sentiment.  

Friedman has echoed the same sentiment.  

3 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

I get where he is coming from but he goes too far. When an agent is THIS irate you know

the players are probably sharing some if not all of the same feelings which is in a way both

astounding and yet understandable.

I just listened to the whole thing and have no idea where you get the "THIS irate" from?  

Btw once you consider that Travis Hamonic and OEL are his clients, you can kind of understand where Kevin's coming from.  He's had to defend a lot bad press and it's only been a few months.  

The sports media in Vancouver is terrible. 

It’s ok to write as a fan, for fans of a game. Who cares if you’re labeled a homer. It’s not “hard hitting journalism.” It’s a game meant to entertain.

Canuck Clay is the only one that’s honestly entertaining or fun. 

• Wat 1

When actual stakeholders keep saying this it stands to reason there’s some truth to it.  

It’s not hard to understand that you’d rather play for a fan base that cheers you on instead of being super critical, cynical, derisive, mocking and obnoxious like ours do on social media.  It’s half the appeal for a loud section of the fan base to be as crappy as possible about certain players, management, etc.

Pretty basic stuff. NHL hockey is such a grind with 82 games in such a short period of time - the mental strain to stay focused and motivated must be pretty huge - especially with guaranteed contracts.  Even if the Vancouver media / social media noise has a relatively small impact, that could make a pretty big difference… and the way we’ve seen good teams crumble in this market time and time again I’d certainly entertain it as a factor.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Let's not act like Kevin Epp is the first and only guy that's talked about this.  

Kevin Bieksa has echoed the same sentiment.  

Friedman has echoed the same sentiment.  

Every time the Canucks struggle, this debate pops up. Then when things settle down and they are winning, the debate goes away

• Vintage 1

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME My overarching issue is that our media gives us an unnecessary disadvantage.  

Some fans that really enjoy the negative coverage of the team are fine to defend it and fight for it, but it's painstakingly clear that there are players and agents who will not want to sign with Vancouver Canucks because of the way this team is covered.  As I mentioned earlier, *some people that talked about this are* Kevin Bieksa, Friedman, Brian Burke, and I could dig up more if you want. 

We have an inherent disadvantage compared to what...  29, 30 other teams?  I know that Montreal can be just as bad.  I can't say that Toronto is as bad even during their miserable years, but I'm sure that I got to hear more of their talk radio I would feel that they're just as bad.  

I'm also a fan of the team and listening to the constant negative coverage makes me stop paying attention to the team and makes the "apathy" set in.  

So as far as I'm concerned, let people take their shots at the media.  If they dish it out so much, then let them take it as well. 

Edited by VancouverHabitant

What truth bombs? What this agent is saying is nothing new and repeating much of the same. Basically he is digging that media is negative, some times making up stuff and it's affecting the players. We should just let the team play, they have been losing 1 goal games etc.. etc..

Well the reality is the team is doing horribly on the backdrop of the whole city had a mountain of expectation for the team this year. With real costs of trading a lot of draft picks, mortgaging the future, waiting 8 long years. And when the media asks the coach what is wrong? His answers are denial and generic saying nothing is wrong, his system works, only losing 1 goal games (so basically he is blaming puck luck? 8-14-2 bottom of the league kind of puck luck)

Under all of this, can you really blame the fans/media trying to dig up what is wrong with this team? And when people dig of course all kinds of dirty and conspiracy theories come out. Management and the coaching staff is leaving a lot of room for people to imagine. 

Not to mention Hamonic is just a weird case. Was doing ok on the Islanders, requests trade. Will only play for 2-3 teams that is close to his home. Re-signed with us this summer, have family emergency - (that's ok). Tells Benning he is on his way for his 2nd dose of vaccine in offseason. Changes his mind....? Doesn't get vaccinated until recently and now have only played 7 games. This player is a lot of baggage. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

6 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

astounding and yet understandable. Its also completely ignorant of major factors like the 

floods in BC and covid and there effects on the psyke and morale of the fanbase right now.

Its actually almost grotesque in how ignorant it is right now for him to say these things. 

The fanbase has not been THAT negative we have low morale and look to the team for a 

lift so when we get the opposite of course your going to see a reaction this venomous. 

I dont think all the players share this opinion, I think the switched on ones realize how lucky

If your a player and just happen to be reading this and DON'T agree ask yourself

Are you a Paramedic?

Are you a logger?

Are you a cop?

Anyways heres the video:

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Nothing new here at all, people have been saying this on CDC and in the media for years. Hell, even Reddit and HF know it. 

It's just a bit uglier and more in your face when the fortune of the franchise tanks. 

Edited by Coconuts

I totally, 100% agree with this man.

Vancouver fans are over the top aggressive and over reactive. Players must hate the fans the way we turn our backs on them when times get tough. Anyone who argues this is on glue. 

Media... if that's what you want to call these hams that write on the internet nowadays are brutal for drumming up stories for the sake of hype etc. Too many lies and inaccuracies and they all just get away with it. I get it, that's their job but it still doesn't make it right or excuse them for exaggerating and making up stories. Word gets out around the league about how fair-weather the fans can be here and how difficult it is to play here when you're not winning. If this keep up we will never be able to sign high calibre players.

Petey probably hates it here by now after all the $&!# that's been thrown at him this year. 

How can anyone deny this negativity online doesn't affect the players?

Ridiculous. Donnie should be ashamed for acting so ignorant after Epp answered straight up that the media can affect players' performance. As if some reporter knows better than an agent. But of course Donnie says "agree to disagree" when the agent tells him straight up that "yes, They hear all this and it makes it tougher on the team and management." Media are idiots.

How can the OP defend these clowns?

Crazy

Edited by bad alice french
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

Are you a Paramedic?

Are you a logger?

Are you a cop?

Anyways heres the video:

I'm not sure I've ever disagreed with a post as much as this one in over 10 years on this forum. Suggesting their jobs are irrelevant because they aren't doctors, nurses or loggers. Geez, bud get off your high horse and take a breather.

Edited by bad alice french
  • Wat 1

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I can't say that Toronto is as bad even during their miserable years, but I'm sure that I got to hear more of their talk radio I would feel that they're just as bad.  

Last I checked Canuck fans aren't throwing $2-300 jerseys on the ice after paying close to that amount to enter the arena and watch their team play tho!!! 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1