The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Epp Dropping "Truth" Bombs???

Rate this topic

Shirotashi

Isn't Epp the same one who complained about the backlash of Montreal drafting a sexual offender? I don't really value his opinion.

The people who think our media is overly harsh need to look around other sports leagues. It's honestly embarrassing that the fans often get blamed for the team's failures, overpayment of free agents, and lack of rebuild.

Edited by Josepho
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

When actual stakeholders keep saying this it stands to reason there’s some truth to it.  

It’s not hard to understand that you’d rather play for a fan base that cheers you on instead of being super critical, cynical, derisive, mocking and obnoxious like ours do on social media.  It’s half the appeal for a loud section of the fan base to be as crappy as possible about certain players, management, etc.

Pretty basic stuff. NHL hockey is such a grind with 82 games in such a short period of time - the mental strain to stay focused and motivated must be pretty huge - especially with guaranteed contracts.  Even if the Vancouver media / social media noise has a relatively small impact, that could make a pretty big difference… and the way we’ve seen good teams crumble in this market time and time again I’d certainly entertain it as a factor.

This. It is one thing to be negative, and Canucks as a team and organization have given plenty of reason for that... but media and most of Canucks Twitter seem to bask in poor performance by mocking it and drawing some sort of sick pleasure from it. 

Talk about echo chambers. I never post on Twitter about the Canucks because I don't even want to be part of that cesspool. If other people think the same way, then there is clearly a pretty important selection effect going on where only a certain segment of the fanbase actually engages with content on Twitter. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I watched the interview and am generally ok with the comments. I have seen good and bad in Vancouver.

The good is we have a right to be upset after 8 years of losing under Benning and Aquilinis. Same with coaching. 

Prime example of bad is Canucks Army running a story every day of training camp bringing up OJ's struggles with the bag skate. Thee was no need to continue bringing up a one day news story and this constituted a personal attack much like Epp refers to.

43 minutes ago, Josepho said:

Isn't Epp the same one who complained about the backlash of Montreal drafting a sexual offender? I don't really value his opinion.

The people who think our media is overly harsh need to look around other sports leagues. It's honestly embarrassing that the fans often get blamed for the team's failures, overpayment of free agents, and lack of rebuild.

Lol.  I've been saying for years that the "Eastern Bias" is a load of crap.   All i hear out here is good things about the young Canucks, where as out West they rip apart everything just to get clicks or whatever.   There is absolutely a flawed mentality on how media supports our team in Vancouver.   The Sens have been through the ringer with EK's core and their owner and all that drama - instead of been overly toxic about it, they continue to support that core in their new locations, and also pump up how many picks they got as a result.   JB might need to go, but the media also needs to have a major shift in Vancouver.  It can't only be when the teams doing well then give them props.   The toxicity does affect the players i believe Epp was honest.   Weren't we stoked to get Hamonic back?  I sure was.  Leave the guy alone already.   He's a Canuck.   These are supposed to be our hero worship idols too, and why wouldn't/shouldn't we support them when they are down?   The media just makes it that much tougher to do.   I'd suggest tuning them out the same way the players have too.   But like Epp said, their friends don't and they end up following it anyways indirectly.   F!cking trolls.   No wonder Friedman is so respected, he never acted like that during the WCE era when he started.   

These guys are jokers stop watching them. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Thing is though....the fans you see on SM aren't the same ones who are in the stands and it's glaring at times.  You can't simply gauge the "fans" on what you see being posted.  The fans show up, even AFTER years of losing, etc.  There are still fans in the building, cheering this team on so those over reacting don't make up the entire fanbase.

The aggressive/negative stuff is SM doing it's thing.  It's not just hockey fans, it's keyboard warriors on full display these days.  Everyone's up in arms about something it seems.

There's been a lot of reason lately to be dissatisfied and impatient.  This city LOVES hockey and their team but also wants to see good hockey, that's not unreasonable.

Dead on DLC (almost called you by your old handle... the moderator formerly known as "Deb" lol)

Media and keyboard warriors like to whip things up, but the real fans are still out there and they are supporting this team. Even through the tough times. 

Perfect example, these guys that try to get crowds gathered to protest against Benning and ownership and what like 10 people showed up outside of rogers arena...ohhhh, shakin in my boots lol

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Like 1

Do some players not want to play in a Canadian market and be subject to living in a fish bowl?  We've been saying this for years so don't act like it isn't a thing.

The media has been going thru a lot of changes in recent years.  Gone are the reliable salaries that came from working for newspapers.  Media types have had to reinvent themselves in order to continue making a living.  Much of it is based on getting clicks on social media.  Gone are the days when reporters were trained journalists who's work was subject to review by an editor.  Many of the members of the media are completely untrained.  

The media also has been kept apart from direct interveiws with players.  Today, there are press conferences staged post game.  So the relationships that used to be part of the business just don't exist in the same way.

Players often say that they don't pay attention to the media or social media but in reality, it is very hard to live in a bubble away from it.

When you have such competition among members of the media, and scoops are such a big deal to them, it is not surprising that they will act upon rumours from "trusted sources" and print stories without proper vetting and verification.  So many, a few days later are shown to be false.

1 hour ago, Josepho said:

This was my takeaway as well. Just another guy trying to blame the fans and media for his own client’s failures and those of the team.

Hamonic made his own choices and &^@#ed the team in the process. After he and his agent got their money and guaranteed contract of course. That’s on Hamonic, not the people who were critical of both him and Benning for how that situation unfolded. 

Its pro sports. Put your big boy pants on and earn your millions. Criticism from fans and media comes with the gig. I am not surprised it’s Hamonic’s agent saying this. Since demanding a trade from the Islanders Hamonic has always been a self entitled, me first player. Wanted him gone in the off-season and knew he would do something that would disrupt the team.

Benning told every other player they had to be fully vaccinated to play. Then decided in a panic move to do an about face and make an exception for Hamonic because the team started slow. I don’t care what anyone says, there was probably some hard feelings in the dressing room about that. Several players were pissed off last year at the teams COVID protocol failures. Some surely had reservations about getting vaccinated this year to play. Can’t see how they would be thrilled with Benning letting an unvaxxed player in the room after setting a different requirement for them. 

Things like this are why a critical media are important. The Canucks management and coaches foster the negativity around them by refusing to take accountability. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

I sincerely wish the media would stop giving Epp air time. What's even worse, is when I then have to see his crappy interviews being shared on here. This guy seems like a big cry baby and after his last interview on D and D I decided I would not subject myself to his drivel any further. Didn't listen to this interview, and have zero intension on doing so.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Maybe we should bring back Neil McRae?  Did any of you ever listen to him?? I imagine the players that played for the Canucks in that era are all now a bunch of basket cases. 

Its always been like this. And it only gets worse after 50 yrs of no cup. 

People are such a bunch of babies nowadays. You cant say anything. You barely touch a player and you get  a penalty.  

People feeling sorry for Travis Green?   Whats his wage again for being a coach? 2.75 Million ?  or about $7500 bucks a day every day of the year. 

Yes, we are all human and we arent all impervious to pressure and criticism. But show me a job where you make in the millions and there isnt a very high level of responsibility and criticism if there isn't performance. and with hockey, its an entertainment business so these clown will obviously do what they gotta do to get listened to. 

Unbelievable.  And yes, i dont like the media and the standard they have. But that goes with the job.  Lets hire team counselors specifically to help players with media scrutiny and unjustified criticism. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Maybe we should bring back Neil McRae?  Did any of you ever listen to him?? I imagine the players that played for the Canucks in that era are all now a bunch of basket cases. 

Its always been like this. And it only gets worse after 50 yrs of no cup. 

People are such a bunch of babies nowadays. You cant say anything. You barely touch a player and you get  a penalty.  

People feeling sorry for Travis Green?   Whats his wage again for being a coach? 2.75 Million ?  or about $7500 bucks a day every day of the year. 

Yes, we are all human and we arent all impervious to pressure and criticism. But show me a job where you make in the millions and there isnt a very high level of responsibility and criticism if there isn't performance. and with hockey, its an entertainment business so these clown will obviously do what they gotta do to get listened to. 

Unbelievable.  And yes, i dont like the media and the standard they have. But that goes with the job.  Lets hire team counselors specifically to help players with media scrutiny and unjustified criticism. 

https://m.soundcloud.com/murpharee/earl-mcrae-crap-from-the

Holy crow do I sure miss Rock 101s twisted tunes

Edited by Shayster007
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Let's not act like Kevin Epp is the first and only guy that's talked about this.  

Kevin Bieksa has echoed the same sentiment.  

Friedman has echoed the same sentiment.  

This place is overflowing with the exact same scum this guy is talking about. All the negativity definitely lessens the enjoyment of being a fan. Back in the day it was fun to follow your team no matter how good they were. People understood there are 30 other teams out there and winning isn't guaranteed or even plausible, so the fans did what they could and supported their team. Now our fickle fans and media are more excited that they clicked dislike on the Canucks and feel vindicated because they are right. It's literally not about the team anymore. People shouldn't be driven to hateful anger over a sport they're watching as a fan.

Where is the motivation for any Canucks player when 75% of the media and fans revel and rejoice in any stumble the team has?

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 2

Remember Kevin Epp is the same guy that defended Jake Virtanen with his sexual assault.

The media is the pot stirrer - so yes the media does get SOME blame - the blame right now is giving this clown - Kevin Epp a soap box to stand on. 

I have long wanted to be a fan of Hamonic but the past 6 months I have lost so much respect for the guy.   Honestly, Hamonic is the guy on your beer league that never confirms he's coming, never responds to the team chat and often never shows up and when he does your left standing there like oh your here and alive ok, who are you again?  

Regarding Hamonic he's a Canadian, he grew up here he knows what Canadian markets are. He knew what he was doing and now he's being called out he is getting his agent to cry foul for him.   And his agent is a typical toxic masculine tool.  He would fit really well with the Blackhawks organization... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I see where he's coming from. Media has largely moved away from reporting and more towards making assumptions and what not. And that stuff definitely negatively effects things. And I am not gonna pretend I hear things from the media and don't wonder. I mean, not when stupid stories like that Fortnite one crops up. But when I hear there might be issues in the lockerroom. Of course my ears perk up and I start to wonder "is it true? How can it not. They are sucking and been sucking for a while." So yeah, the media has power and I think a lot of us here hear stuff and we don't just throw it out the window. We absorb all information and make our own assumptions and ideas from it.

I think there are also a vocal minority of fans on social media and even here that we put under a magnifying glass and say "fans are horrible." Every player that mentions meeting fans in person say nothing but good things. Cause like I said fan negativity is generally limited to Twitter if we're being honest. It's the Mos Eisley of negativity. I see a lot of regulars here that are pretty level headed and stuck through with this team through the worst of the rebuild. A lot of fans are like that and I don't think we should hold all fans to the standard of Twitter any more than we should hold us to the standard of the rioters.

When the team is playing bad and we say "hey this team is playing bad and it shouldn't" why is that wrong? If I go outside and it's cold, I am gonna mention it's cold. It's just a fact. So I don't think all negative talk is inherently bad either. The team has expectations and they are falling short. This management team has had almost 10 years to make a consistent playoff team. We have had 2 lucky runs like 5 years apart from each other. This coaching staff has had numerous different looking teams and we are somehow getting worse. Is asking for accountability bad? No. If I go to work and I am bad at it day after day for years I am probably gonna get fired.

I dunno. Feel like these millionaire players, coaches and GMs should have thicker skins than being sad the fans are mad the team isn't performing yet again. But I might be old school in that thinking. Gotta be nice all the time.

4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This was my takeaway as well. Just another guy trying to blame the fans and media for his own client’s failures and those of the team.

Hamonic made his own choices and &^@#ed the team in the process. After he and his agent got their money and guaranteed contract of course. That’s on Hamonic, not the people who were critical of both him and Benning for how that situation unfolded. 

Its pro sports. Put your big boy pants on and earn your millions. Criticism from fans and media comes with the gig. I am not surprised it’s Hamonic’s agent saying this. Since demanding a trade from the Islanders Hamonic has always been a self entitled, me first player. Wanted him gone in the off-season and knew he would do something that would disrupt the team.

Benning told every other player they had to be fully vaccinated to play. Then decided in a panic move to do an about face and make an exception for Hamonic because the team started slow. I don’t care what anyone says, there was probably some hard feelings in the dressing room about that. Several players were pissed off last year at the teams COVID protocol failures. Some surely had reservations about getting vaccinated this year to play. Can’t see how they would be thrilled with Benning letting an unvaxxed player in the room after setting a different requirement for them. 

Things like this are why a critical media are important. The Canucks management and coaches foster the negativity around them by refusing to take accountability. 

Maybe instead - just listen to the interview, and consider what he's saying is the actual truth.   Can't do that though because that would make you, and a lot of other people on this site that have committed to trashing management, coaching and players wrong.   I get the displeasure and venting don't see you as a fan who isn't in that category.  But for sure see a lot of  posters that have bought into fire everyone and everything else.   It's not that simple unfortunately.   Green is handling EP properly, limiting his minutes but not embarrassing him with a benching like some other NHL coaches would have done already.    How many times has he brought up its a confidence issue?  Still barely adults.    I think this is one of the best interviews i've seen posted on this site the last two years.   And 100% agree with him.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I just listened to the whole thing and have no idea where you get the "THIS irate" from?  

Btw once you consider that Travis Hamonic and OEL are his clients, you can kind of understand where Kevin's coming from.  He's had to defend a lot bad press and it's only been a few months.  

You listened but you DONT think he was irate? Brother he went off big time on the canucks.

This guy is supposed to be professional hes repping 2 of our players and he went. off. 

So you lost me bro I guess it went over your head I mean even Donnie was getting combative.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME My overarching issue is that our media gives us an unnecessary disadvantage.  

Some fans that really enjoy the negative coverage of the team are fine to defend it and fight for it, but it's painstakingly clear that there are players and agents who will not want to sign with Vancouver Canucks because of the way this team is covered.  As I mentioned earlier, *some people that talked about this are* Kevin Bieksa, Friedman, Brian Burke, and I could dig up more if you want. 

We have an inherent disadvantage compared to what...  29, 30 other teams?  I know that Montreal can be just as bad.  I can't say that Toronto is as bad even during their miserable years, but I'm sure that I got to hear more of their talk radio I would feel that they're just as bad.  

I'm also a fan of the team and listening to the constant negative coverage makes me stop paying attention to the team and makes the "apathy" set in.  

So as far as I'm concerned, let people take their shots at the media.  If they dish it out so much, then let them take it as well. 

If players are that affected by negative media so as to suggest it affects play on the ice then they need to

say more about it. Its the only thing I can think of that could be like and antidote to the venom we sometimes

feel.

But the players have to understand the past history of the market your going into. Look at the past 10 

years and try to understand the mood that has been set before they got here. They also need to recognize

how FAST this market gets up for a winning team. That game against the rangers was the LOUDEST I have

heard rogers in a long time! Dont farking tell me the players did not hear/feel that shyt.