The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Epp Dropping "Truth" Bombs???

Rate this topic

Shirotashi

47 minutes ago, tas said:

you're selling agents really short, as most people do.

these guys become close friends, allies, confidants, aides -- you name it, often from the time the players are 16 years old. they make so much happen for their clients, handle so many logistics, inconveniences, and many tasks these guys just aren't prepared for. draft stuff, handling scouts and media, charity stuff, financial things, finding places to live, paperwork, sponsorships, and so much more.

player agents are invaluable to their clients. 

Ya they make millions and they prey on the hockey players from the time they are young… you said it yourself.

Having said that I should not paint all of them with the same brush. But most are leaches. And they are changing over the years as players get smarter and have more options.

Some player turned agents are better as well as they know what players need and how to actually help and serve the players. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

I'm just agreeing with what the agent said and you thought he was out of line.

Dragging the fans into it was an over generalization that I'm prone to make at times.

Still, your post suggested, to me anyhow, that you thought the agent was out to lunch and that the media have every right to write whatever they choose to write even if it's soft rumours or outright lies. Epp was asked point blank if he believes it affects the mindset and indirectly the players ability to perform with confidence and comfort, to which he replied" 1000% yes it does have a negative affect on players and management" then Taylor says " Ok then we agree to disagree" FFS Taylor doesn't know these people personally and if the agent says the media's lies has a negative affect on players, then I believe him more than the media and more than you.

People forget the players are human beings.  Anyone who has micro managed or had a boss that didn’t trust them 100% would feel about 1% of the scrutiny a pro athlete gets doing their job.

1 minute ago, ABNucksfan said:

Ya they make millions and they prey on the hockey players from the time they are young… you said it yourself.

Having said that I should not paint all of them with the same brush. But most are leaches. And they are changing over the years as players get smarter and have more options.

Some player turned agents are better as well as they know what players need and how to actually help and serve the players. 

in what conceivable way does providing an important service in exchange for fair remuneration make a person a "leach?" it's not 1972.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

Vancouver fans ARE NOT an exception to other fan bases are you high? What it gods name are you suggesting

here that when all things in the past decade meshed with the current climate are considered you dont think its 

understandable that the fanbase is like this? How are we different than other fanbases when you consider all things

logically? HOW? Is it something in our water out here thats makes all of us quicker to get irate than other cities?

Like what are YOU suggesting the reasons are? 

I have lived in Calgary and in southern Ontario and brother the markets where calling for heads EXACTLY 

like we are so WTF are YOU saying? 

I think in 2+ seasons we have had something like what is now 28? Regulation wins?

Brother IM STILL watching so im still on the wagon what more as a player can you ask for?

Asking people to not react negative to negative things they see is crazy talk if people blow smoke

up your azz all your life you get nowhere why do pro athletes expect different? 

I listen to the post game show every single win or loss.. I dont really hear anyone saying they are 

giving up on the canucks and as a player thats all you can ask for. 

Goldbergs GIF by ABC Network

20 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

People forget the players are human beings.  Anyone who has micro managed or had a boss that didn’t trust them 100% would feel about 1% of the scrutiny a pro athlete gets doing their job.

Absolutely. I mean I'm as hypocritical as the next guy when it comes to venting on CDC after the team sucks or a certain player has a bad game. Truth is markets like Vancouver can be a tough place to work as a hockey player and, as you said, they are human. they read these posts. They read the stories and articles. I would hate my job if I was Petey for example and be forced to turn a blind eye to all the crap that's been heaved on him this season. It does affect them. Plain and simple.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

in what conceivable way does providing an important service in exchange for fair remuneration make a person a "leach?" it's not 1972.

Why do they have to go after them at 14? Is the commish they charge really fair? Agent makes $25k a year on 700k salary. You really think they work that hard? 

maybe your right… its more cutthroat now so they have to actually supply some type of service beyond negotiate a few hours here and there. They don’t have a good reputation though for good reason. 

50 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Absolutely. I mean I'm as hypocritical as the next guy when it comes to venting on CDC after the team sucks or a certain player has a bad game. Truth is markets like Vancouver can be a tough place to work as a hockey player and, as you said, they are human. they read these posts. They read the stories and articles. I would hate my job if I was Petey for example and be forced to turn a blind eye to all the crap that's been heaved on him this season. It does affect them. Plain and simple.

Lol delusion of grandeur much… they do not read your posts. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

This place is overflowing with the exact same scum this guy is talking about. All the negativity definitely lessens the enjoyment of being a fan. Back in the day it was fun to follow your team no matter how good they were. People understood there are 30 other teams out there and winning isn't guaranteed or even plausible, so the fans did what they could and supported their team. Now our fickle fans and media are more excited that they clicked dislike on the Canucks and feel vindicated because they are right. It's literally not about the team anymore. People shouldn't be driven to hateful anger over a sport they're watching as a fan.

Where is the motivation for any Canucks player when 75% of the media and fans revel and rejoice in any stumble the team has?

Exactly.  

Clicking on thumbs up or upvote to diss your team when they're not doing well doesn't mean that you're "being a fan".  

13 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Its pro sports. Put your big boy pants on and earn your millions. Criticism from fans and media comes with the gig.

It's a two way street.  

Media shouldn't get their underwear in a bunch over it.  Especially Jeff Patterson who nearly had a seizure over this interview lol 

4 hours ago, dougieL said:

Apathy is probably the worst enemy of the media, so they'd rather fuel anger in times like these. There are some members of the media here that are hyperbolic, Drance and Lalji probably being the most so. I love this team, and want them to win for their own sake, but wouldn't it be sweet for the Canucks to go on a run to prove these guys wrong?

See that's the thing....  when the media is being over the top negative, like Thomas Drance for example, it just makes me not want to listen or pay attention to any more hockey.  

So they really drive the apathy in.  In a way, they're really shooting themselves in the foot but they aren't even smart enough to realize it. 

8 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

You listened but you DONT think he was irate? Brother he went off big time on the canucks.

This guy is supposed to be professional hes repping 2 of our players and he went. off. 

So you lost me bro I guess it went over your head I mean even Donnie was getting combative.

Didn't go over my head at all, I just actually found that Kevin Epp was being reasonable and bringing up valid points.  The only people butthurt over this were Don Taylor and Jeff Patterson.  

1040's old guard that's actually going out of style.  Listen, I loved Donnie back in the Sports Page days, but those days are behind him and he's a shell of his former self. I've given Donnie and Dhali at least 20 hours of my life, and I stand by that statement. 

6 hours ago, Provost said:

Bieksa has said repeatedly that Vancouver is the best place to play when things are going well and tough to play in when they are losing.

He has said it as a positive about playing in a Canadian market.  Not whining about how the media is making teams lose.

Taylor is probably the best in the business out here, good for him for pushing back.

The nonsense arguments from the agent about St. Louis and Toronto were dumb to bring up.  We have been a terrible team for almost a decade, it isn’t a little slump.

Each NHL player is different, some want the positives that go with the negatives, same as some movie stars do it for the limelight and some don’t.

Taylor was the best....  20 years ago?  

I used to love Don Cherry for a long time, and then eventually he just expired.  Same goes with Don Taylor.  He's a good guy but I just don't agree with his takes any more.  He has some weird media driven take to fight for and it's really weird to listen to.  

I'll take guys that have been in hockey oiver a lifetime journalist any day of the week. 

The Sports Journalists in Vancouver think they are entertainers . That’s why they’re opinions are poised for knee jerk reactions..  rarely get a writer writing things down word for word to express a players opinion or thinking on topics..   they would rather announce or write their opinions, hoping to stimulate arguments.

Its actually refreshing to hear other Journalists or casters from various cities across N.A. who speak optimistically about there teams and players,.  most negativity is held in trust so as not to ruin a perfectly good relationship with a source or player.

Its a sewage plant here in Vancouver.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

No chit its a rough place to play when we are losing... The west coast in general house the most entitled people in the world. Everyone has gone soo far over the edge they seem to think they are entitled to having a winning hockey team or they just slam everyone connected to it till they want out. Nobody forcing you to be a fan of this sports entertainment franchise lol.

Maybe once all these oldtimers clocks stop ticking we will have a much less toxic city to play in. Majority of the younger fans i know just stop paying much attention when the going gets tough. The older crowd seem to be the ones who feel the need to voice their negativity to no end. Oh well different era, Different ways of thinking i guess :ph34r:

You mean "The Millenials" stop paying much attention when the going gets tough?  The ones that grew up getting "participation trophies" and kudos just for showing up or doing something!    OMG ! May God have mercy on your generation!  

Amen!

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, tas said:

kevin epp currently has clients playing in 13 different cities, and he himself is based out of vancouver. you don't think he might have some perspective on how things work in different markets vs vancouver?

hint: you don't know better than him. 

Hint:  Agents have a specific agenda when they do interviews and it doesn’t have anything to do with telling the truth.

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Provost said:

Hint:  Agents have a specific agenda when they do interviews and it doesn’t have anything to do with telling the truth.

::D 

Water is wet, sky is blue and agents work in their clients best interest.....However,.....

I think we can all agree that some are professionals and some are plain slime balls...

Not disagreeing with your post though.

Edited by spook007

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Lol he never said that in the interview.   And neither did I in my post.   The only one i've heard say that players avoided Vancouver and other Canadian cities this summer was Friedman, media was one of his three reasons.    And personally i don't think the players pay much attention at all to the media directly, just like Ebb said, but it comes in at them indirectly from friends and family.   And like Ebb said, 1000% a toxic virtuous media affects the players.    All i said is it seemed like Ebb was being honest and that it was a great interview.   And yes i do think that when players think their fans don't want them, or managers or coaches, it does affect their performance.   Doesn't mean we need to break out the pom poms for them, but we could stop listening to the media sources that spin it...and even on this site be a little more responsible.   It's one of the reasons i've for years said i don't like to see words like garbage connected to our team.   There are other better ways to get points across. 

Edit: spelling 

Here’s my issue.

People - including Epp - are trying to suggest it’s a Vancouver problem. It’s not. Every team in a city that cares about hockey has negative media stories and rabid fans who criticize their team.

I found it funny that he used Toronto as his example of a patient fan base and media that just let everyone work their $&!# out without a negative word. I mean, has he ever actually seen how places like Toronto and Montreal actually are? Toronto was clamouring for a core player to be traded a few months ago. 

Friedman is equally negative and speculative btw. He just has a different delivery method for it. He makes a lot of assumptions that skirt the line of being true. I like him and think he has integrity but he is really no different. It’s just the way sports media works.

I mean, if someone writes this as their headline every day are you going to click on it:

”Everything perfect with the team. Absolutely nothing to report because they are trying very hard!”

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Vintage 2