The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Travis Hamonic

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Poolman is rhd.  OEL is the elder replacement and he's much better.

Schmidt played the right side on the Canucks.  I think that's the issue (no replacement for him even though he didn't play particularly well for *us*).  That and Hamonic being out of the lineup more than Salo in his day makes us pretty weak on the blueline this season.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Schmidt played the right side on the Canucks.  I think that's the issue (no replacement for him even though he didn't play particularly well for *us*).  That and Hamonic being out of the lineup more than Salo in his day makes us pretty weak on the blueline this season.

Winnipeg upgraded their right side , brought in Schmidt and let Poolman go. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Schmidt wasnt playing any better in Van than Poolman is.  I don't really have an issue with the play of TP or any of the dmen, really.  The dcorp, outside of the pk, haven't been the problem

• Vintage 2

Just now, stawns said:

Schmidt wasnt playing any better in Van than Poolman is.  I don't really have an issue with the play of TP or any of the dmen, really.  The dcorp, outside of the pk, haven't been the problem

Different roles.  Schmidt had the tougher defensive assignments.  Poolman is a 3rd pairing guy then (Jets days) and now.

Much like how Eddie Lack "looked" like he was playing as good as Miller.  Easier to do that when the later had the pressures of being THE starter.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Other then a third pairing LHD for when OEL takes a penalty plus the second unit regular i agree.   We've already seen what just adding Motte does.   Miller shouldn't be killing penalties.   Pearson maybe but even he's not that great at it. Motte and Sutter will for sure make a difference.    Dickinson hasn't worked out great yet, but there is still time.   

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Other then a third pairing LHD for when OEL takes a penalty plus the second unit regular i agree.   We've already seen what just adding Motte does.   Miller shouldn't be killing penalties.   Pearson maybe but even he's not that great at it. Motte and Sutter will for sure make a difference.    Dickinson hasn't worked out great yet, but there is still time.   

as a center.  He's fine as a defensive winger (which he was in Dallas).  Shoe-horning him into a role that isn't his forte isn't putting him into a position to succeed. Though I can't put he blame entirely on Green.  There simply is no other options imho on the roster.  Sutter used to be a strong defensive center but like many athletes, the accumlation of injuries has taken its toll on his body.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

as a center.  He's fine as a defensive winger (which he was in Dallas).  Shoe-horning him into a role that isn't his forte isn't putting him into a position to succeed. Though I can't put he blame entirely on Green.  There simply is no other options imho on the roster.  Sutter used to be a strong defensive center but like many athletes, the accumlation of injuries has taken its toll on his body.

Agreed.   I said several times when we got him that Motte Sutter Dickinson would be an elite shutdown line, and that's what he's here for ... but he's also here for injured because he's a RW/C.    My hope always was we'd use Miller/Horvat/EP as our three centers, Dickinson PK face off percentage a few games ago was 28% and his career face off percentage is not that good either.    So agree he's doing his best in a bad situation.    Green had been playing EP on the third line lately ...   Sutter couldn't get well soon enough but it's also a test of depth a little bit.    In the end if EP and BB were on and our PK was just average, most of us would be happy with the teams progress.   We'd be doing decently enough. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ajax- said:

If Hamonic was not fit because he hasn't played enough I can see that.

The real question is why he hasn't played more for Abbotsford. And it probably has a lot to do with vaccine hesitancy. Even if he is fully vaccinated now, (is he for sure?) the travel restrictions so far has screwed the organization's options on D.

This team has so many things going against it right now.  I don't have to list them all again.  We were the worst team hit with COVID last season.  Gaudette and wife's hesitancy have, perhaps, taken out our best penalty killing third line center this season.  Now this. But I feel sorry for Hamonic, if disinformation has caused this upheaval to his NHL career.

What burns my britches is not Hamonic's hesitancy, but the a-holes and idiots with some kind of media platform, who make their living scaring people with unfounded theories about vaccine risks, and/or blowing up way out of proportion the 1 in a million cases where one person is uniquely susceptible to complications from the vaccine.  And blurring the lines between the two. Tucker Carlsons furrowed brow looking at the camera  "shouldn't we all be concerned with this?"  says the fully vaccinated rich boy who's never worked real job in his life.  This unholy alliance between political operatives mostly on right wing media outlets, who are vaxed and safe, but use their platform to keep their audience on the edge of their seats with new "concerns" for them to fret about every day. And use this as just another avenue to screw the governing party they don't like.

The other ones are the idiots with a mic.  The ones that have been suckered in by the a-holes. Non politically motivated per say, (some hate O'Toole because he's pro-vaccine). Or speak from the paranoid left like Kennedy Jr. or Jimmy Dore. They are the ones that dig up any quack with outlier non-peer reviewed "studies" to raise alarm bells and keep their audiences up at night.  They prey on those who are naturally paranoid and suspicious and give them an excuse to sink even further into their paranoid delusions.  And in this day of social media proliferation, if one of them see that there are are thousands of others that are also true believers, its used as confirmation.  Where before SM this kind of poison would not be able to spread so fast and so well.

The Canucks organization has been very very patient with Hamonic.  Which is fine, and I hope he is now fully on board, and will give Green another option on D.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, kilgore said:

If Hamonic was not fit because he hasn't played enough I can see that.

The real question is why he hasn't played more for Abbotsford. And it probably has a lot to do with vaccine hesitancy. Even if he is fully vaccinated now, (is he for sure?) the travel restrictions so far has screwed the organization's options on D.

This team has so many things going against it right now.  I don't have to list them all again.  We were the worst team hit with COVID last season.  Gaudette and wife's hesitancy have, perhaps, taken out our best penalty killing third line center this season.  Now this. But I feel sorry for Hamonic, if disinformation has caused this upheaval to his NHL career.

What burns my britches is not Hamonic's hesitancy, but the a-holes and idiots with some kind of media platform, who make their living scaring people with unfounded theories about vaccine risks, and/or blowing up way out of proportion the 1 in a million cases where one person is uniquely susceptible to complications from the vaccine.  And blurring the lines between the two. Tucker Carlsons furrowed brow looking at the camera  "shouldn't we all be concerned with this?"  says the fully vaccinated rich boy who's never worked real job in his life.  This unholy alliance between political operatives mostly on right wing media outlets, who are vaxed and safe, but use their platform to keep their audience on the edge of their seats with new "concerns" for them to fret about every day. And use this as just another avenue to screw the governing party they don't like.

The other ones are the idiots with a mic.  The ones that have been suckered in by the a-holes. Non politically motivated per say, (some hate O'Toole because he's pro-vaccine). Or speak from the paranoid left like Kennedy Jr. or Jimmy Dore. They are the ones that dig up any quack with outlier non-peer reviewed "studies" to raise alarm bells and keep their audiences up at night.  They prey on those who are naturally paranoid and suspicious and give them an excuse to sink even further into their paranoid delusions.  And in this day of social media proliferation, if one of them see that there are are thousands of others that are also true believers, its used as confirmation.  Where before SM this kind of poison would not be able to spread so fast and so well.

The Canucks organization has been very very patient with Hamonic.  Which is fine, and I hope he is now fully on board, and will give Green another option on D.

I was wanting to comment on this but wasn't sure where. As far as vaccines, I don't understand the hesitation. I asked my docter of 25 years and he said he's vaccinated along with almost all his peers. Good enough for me. Mostly I want to respond to how Covid has effected the team. It's really entirely possible no one has any idea to what extent the team has been effectived long term. If a lot of the players are playing at even a 10 percent performance deficiency it's enough to disrupt the competitiveness in such a tight league. One really has to wonder if Covid has effected this team more deeply than it appears. 

Edited by rekker
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Yeah not sure why they let Edler go only to sign a worst dman in poolman. I thought they would have signed an upgrade. 

not sure why people keep forgetting that edler chose to leave because he wanted a change of scenery.

11 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Yeah not sure why they let Edler go only to sign a worst dman in poolman. I thought they would have signed an upgrade. 

If we signed Edler

Rathbone would not have won the Calder trophy

1 hour ago, tas said:

not sure why people keep forgetting that edler chose to leave because he wanted a change of scenery.

Edler stated so many times he wanted to stay, I don't know how you can say that. JB didn't want him, ditto Tanev, ditto Markstrom. These guys ere the heart of the lockerroom

2 minutes ago, DanielCloutier said:

i don’t have multiple accounts. you’d be a lot more credible if you dropped that idea. 

i’ve see you post around here a lot. you’re usually thoughtful and insightful. you’re smart enough to do better.

Says the guy who couldn’t stop a beach ball.  :lol:

image.jpeg.23f86d7f767fdc43edbd0708a55b13c5.jpeg

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

I think they should add speed to the pk. Try out players like Hogs or Podz. Podz is a bigger body and might be good helping in front of the net. 

• Vintage 1

Toffi, Marks, Edler and Tanev...

Seems to me, a good many fans were very happy to see Eddie walk.  In the end, JB was working towards bringing in OEL and Garland, so really Edler and Toffi are a wash.  Actually, OEL and Garland are younger and better.

Keeping Demko and letting Marks go is a wash.  Demko is younger and is playing on a defensively disabled team. He will likely develop into an equal or superior goalie to Marks.

Tanev.  Why Jim?  Myers, Tanev, Shenn and Burroughs is better than Myers, Hamonic, Poolman, Burroughs and -$

:sadno:

• Like 1