The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Travis Hamonic

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

20 hours ago, Drink Walrus Milk said:

Not at all. We know what the side effects of the flu shot will be in 2 years, 5 years, etc..

Pretty close to 100% sure there won't be any. I'm less confident about the long term effects of Covid

18 hours ago, DanielCloutier said:

I admire you for making that choice which was yours alone to make. I believe you did so with the best intentions for your own health and the health of those around you.

an objective look at the 11% -> 25% heart condition risk i mentioned

a case for aspirating the shots

confirmed need for aspiration

and for what it's worth, the guy doing those breakdowns started doing these videos at the onset on covid (he was covering more general health topics previously) to counter ANTI-vaccine misinfo. he does a good job of being objective and evidence-based. he's a retired nurse teacher and accident and emergency nurse with a PhD. and if you dont want to take his word for it, links to the research he references are provided.

on top of these things i find it extremely fishy how pfizer/the FDA is responding to a freedom of info request for their trial data by claiming it will take them 55 years to release the info, hiding behind the guise of bureaucracy

especially when whistleblowers have come forward saying corners were cut and data was falsified in the vaccine trials

there are other things but those are the ones with the most reliable evidence off the top of my head. too many red flags for me. and I'm not going to put a brand new medical technology in my body when I feel like the gov and the pharma industry are trying to pull wool over my eyes.

I feel like were co-opting this hockey thread with un-hockey related discussion, so this is probably going to be the last time i reply out of respect for the forum rules.

glad to see hammer is back, unfortunate he got sick recently. hope he recovers fast and fully.

Wasn't familiar with this John Campbell before but seems he was attempting an honest appraisal of a badly written abstract. As far as I'm aware the full study isn't available, the author is a not entirely trustworthy health supplement hawker and he's not responding to requests for comment. Until there's much better evidence I wouldn't worry too much.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIR.0000000000001051

https://gundrymd.com/

https://drgundry.com/

https://www.tctmd.com/news/questions-raised-about-study-linking-mrna-vaccines-increased-acs-risk

https://retractionwatch.com/2021/11/30/abstract-linking-covid-19-vaccines-to-heart-trouble-risk-earns-expression-of-concern/

As for aspiration, I don't know enough to have an opinion but seems there's debate around whether it's necessary.

Edited by Biff Tannen

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Toffi, Marks, Edler and Tanev...

Seems to me, a good many fans were very happy to see Eddie walk.  In the end, JB was working towards bringing in OEL and Garland, so really Edler and Toffi are a wash.  Actually, OEL and Garland are younger and better.

Keeping Demko and letting Marks go is a wash.  Demko is younger and is playing on a defensively disabled team. He will likely develop into an equal or superior goalie to Marks.

Tanev.  Why Jim?  Myers, Tanev, Shenn and Burroughs is better than Myers, Hamonic, Poolman, Burroughs and -$

:sadno:

I broadly agree with you and was disappointed there wasn't more effort made to keep Tanev, but 4.5m until 2024 is a risk that will hopefully backfire for Calgary.

I'm not convinced JB should get a pass for letting Toffoli walk either. It was a whole year before - did he really know he'd get Garland back then?

Since this is my second post on this thread at some point I should mention Hamonic. Hopefully this yo-yoing stops soon and we can have a slightly more settled back line. Been pleased with Schenn's recent play which I guess makes Burroughs the odd man out, but he's not done much wrong either.

41 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Toffi, Marks, Edler and Tanev...

Seems to me, a good many fans were very happy to see Eddie walk.  In the end, JB was working towards bringing in OEL and Garland, so really Edler and Toffi are a wash.  Actually, OEL and Garland are younger and better.

Keeping Demko and letting Marks go is a wash.  Demko is younger and is playing on a defensively disabled team. He will likely develop into an equal or superior goalie to Marks.

Tanev.  Why Jim?  Myers, Tanev, Shenn and Burroughs is better than Myers, Hamonic, Poolman, Burroughs and -$

:sadno:

While I'm happy we got OEL, he doesn't replace Edler. I think that should be obvious for any knowledgeable hockey fan that have watched both of them play.

Edler's changed his playing style significantly over the years from an offensive defeceman, maybe not unlike OEL, to become a defenceman that can eat up pucks and shut things down in the dying minutes. 

Edler-Tanev.

That was the pairing that we would see at the end of the games that we were winning.

Why let them walk? Was Green OK with that? I just don't understand.

21 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I broadly agree with you and was disappointed there wasn't more effort made to keep Tanev, but 4.5m until 2024 is a risk that will hopefully backfire for Calgary.

I'm not convinced JB should get a pass for letting Toffoli walk either. It was a whole year before - did he really know he'd get Garland back then?

Since this is my second post on this thread at some point I should mention Hamonic. Hopefully this yo-yoing stops soon and we can have a slightly more settled back line. Been pleased with Schenn's recent play which I guess makes Burroughs the odd man out, but he's not done much wrong either.

I think Hamonic makes our PK instantaneously better.

Failing to see that is a failure on Green. I understand if Hamonic is out of game shape but is he really or is Green being an old school hockey guy that just doesn't want to change up a winning line up?

Just now, khay said:

While I'm happy we got OEL, he doesn't replace Edler. I think that should be obvious for any knowledgeable hockey fan that have watched both of them play.

Edler's changed his playing style significantly over the years from an offensive defeceman, maybe not unlike OEL, to become a defenceman that can eat up pucks and shut things down in the dying minutes. 

Edler-Tanev.

That was the pairing that we would see at the end of the games that we were winning.

Why let them walk? Was Green OK with that? I just don't understand.

Huh? OEL is miles ahead of Edler. Not even close. Eddy can't handle the minutes anymore like OEL can either. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

23 hours ago, JM_ said:

hospitals care. Not sure where you get that idea from. 

it offers great protection. Again, not sure what the qualifier "limited" is supposed to mean. 

I have never been asked once at a hospital if I have had the flu shot. Definitely never needed to prove it in order to drink a beer or watch a game. If you haven’t figured out the limits of the protection I’m curious what rock you are under. Why do you need a booster shot if it “offers great protection”. It wanes after taking it. You will never be “fully vaccinated” as it doesn’t stop you from getting it, transmitting it or dying from it. Keep watching the news and getting jabbed I’ll continue living my life thanks. 

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, khay said:

2 years is a big risk? I respectfully disagree sir.

Not hating on Poolman but Edler at 36 years old brings more than Poolman now.

Eddie only got 1 year so even less of a risk. Despite that I'm still not that bothered they let him go and I think Poolman's done okay. LA's defence isn't looking that solid right now

Would be interesting to see if there is any resentment among the Abby D-corps about Hamonic being parachuted in to get into game shape. Cull has no problems - he was very complimentary (^_^) about TH's game there earlier in the season, but for an aspiring young defenceman, getting dropped to make room for a vet must sting a little

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, rekker said:

Huh? OEL is miles ahead of Edler. Not even close. Eddy can't handle the minutes anymore like OEL can either. 

Again, not directly comparing the two players. They play a different style and one guy gets paid double the other guy.

Yes, OEL >> Edler, but Edler serves an important role. We need more than one guy that can play in the dying minutes of the game or more than one guy that plays LD (edit, on PK).

Just think about in 2008-09 (or was it 09-10?) when we had Mitchell and Edler on LD.

Then, we added Hamhuis and let Mitchell walk. Yes, he had concussion so a different circumstance) but imagine if he was fine. We added Hamhuis, who was as good defensively as Mitchell while moving the puck better,  but that doesn't mean Mitchell would have been useless.

Heck, if we had Mitchell, we may have won one cup sometime between 2010-2012. I'm going as far as to say that we beat the Bruins if we had Mitchell.

In a similar vein, if we had Edler, I bet we have more wins now.

Edited by khay

52 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Pretty close to 100% sure there won't be any. I'm less confident about the long term effects of Covid

Wasn't familiar with this John Campbell before but seems he was attempting an honest appraisal of a badly written abstract. As far as I'm aware the full study isn't available, the author is a not entirely trustworthy health supplement hawker and he's not responding to requests for comment. Until there's much better evidence I wouldn't worry too much.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIR.0000000000001051

https://gundrymd.com/

https://drgundry.com/

https://www.tctmd.com/news/questions-raised-about-study-linking-mrna-vaccines-increased-acs-risk

https://retractionwatch.com/2021/11/30/abstract-linking-covid-19-vaccines-to-heart-trouble-risk-earns-expression-of-concern/

As for aspiration, I don't know enough to have an opinion but seems there's debate around whether it's necessary.

You do know that I could outnumber these ani-vaccine links by at least 10,000:1 with credible sites that can be validated through approved scientific methodilogy that point ot the benefits of the vaccines right?

1 minute ago, Amebushi said:

I have never been asked once at a hospital if I have had the flu shot. Definitely never needed to prove it in order to drink a beer or watch a game. If you haven’t figured out the limits of the protection I’m curious what rock you are under. Why do you need a booster shot if it “offers great protection”. It wanes after taking it. You will never be “fully vaccinated” as it doesn’t stop you from getting it, transmitting it or dying from it. Keep watching the news and getting jabbed I’ll continue living my life thanks. 

done over it GIF by Wheel of Fortune

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Don’t know where you live, but care facilities for elderly, and certain wards in hospitals have required well before Covid 19 that all persons not having a flu shot wear masks.  

Or are you one of those people who refuses to wear a mask when around high at risk persons? 

8 minutes ago, khay said:

Again, not directly comparing the two players. They play a different style and one guy gets paid double the other guy.

Yes, OEL >> Edler, but Edler serves an important role. We need more than one guy that can play in the dying minutes of the game or more than one guy that plays LD (edit, on PK).

Just think about in 2008-09 (or was it 09-10?) when we had Mitchell and Edler on LD.

Then, we added Hamhuis and let Mitchell walk. Yes, he had concussion so a different circumstance) but imagine if he was fine. We added Hamhuis, who was as good defensively as Mitchell while moving the puck better,  but that doesn't mean Mitchell would have been useless.

Heck, if we had Mitchell, we may have won one cup sometime between 2010-2012. I'm going as far as to say that we beat the Bruins if we had Mitchell.

In a similar vein, if we had Edler, I bet we have more wins now.

I miss young Eddy as much as anyone. But he was just getting to slow for our team. He seems to be doing well with LA, but that has more to do with fit. Green et all just played him like a rented mule here. Too many minutes. I love Eddy and he's one of the all time great Canucks dmen. But it was time to part ways.

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, khay said:

I think Hamonic makes our PK instantaneously better.

Failing to see that is a failure on Green. I understand if Hamonic is out of game shape but is he really or is Green being an old school hockey guy that just doesn't want to change up a winning line up?

Green always seems to want to 'send a message' to any player who isn't his favorite or pet. Like WD that way. 

Green is the Yoko Ono of this group. 

Very hard to understand. Unlike any straight forward coaches we have had who wouldn't mince words or be extra vague. 

12 minutes ago, GB5 said:

You do know that I could outnumber these ani-vaccine links by at least 10,000:1 with credible sites that can be validated through approved scientific methodilogy that point ot the benefits of the vaccines right?

As fun as that sounds I'm not sure you understood what I wrote. I'm not anti-vaccine.

Two of the links are to the websites of the quack who is the source of the misinformation referred to earlier, two are to criticisms of the abstract he published and the other is an expression of concern from the journal that published the abstract. It's kinda too late though since the shoddy 'evidence' is already doing the rounds and any criticism of it will just be viewed (by the tinfoil hat brigade) as censorship. It's almost like publishing abstracts without any form of peer review might be a bad idea...

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

As far as Tanev and Elder 

We had to move on from them eventually, we need to build around EP and Hughes for the future. 

Not changing the old guard we would have to pay them more, age issues injury issues. It was unpredictable of what to expect from Elder, esp him slowing down. Tanev is not as effective in the playoffs when the whistles are put away. Him and Stecher were a tire fire back there in the tough going. 

I'm happy both are getting paid. 

I think this year has turned into a development year. Rathbone has shown he isn't ready. Bur and Schenn have been nice surprises, esp Schenn and Hughes. OEL could use some weight room time. 

If we can get a tough skilled Dman from our prospects that would be found money. 

I still think we should have grabbed a bigger Dman from the ufa's from the off season. A 1 or 2M dollar guy. 

Someone 6'4" and capable. 

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, rekker said:

I miss young Eddy as much as anyone. But he was just getting to slow for our team. He seems to be doing well with LA, but that has more to do with fit. Green et all just played him like a rented mule here. Too many minutes. I love Eddy and he's one of the all time great Canucks dmen. But it was time to part ways.

Well, I thought getting OEL would provide Green more option and hence automatic reduction of Edler's minutes. Green can't be that stupid to given OEL 15-17 minutes and Edler 23 minutes, can he?

Green overworked Edler since there was no one else. Last year, our defence was Edler-Hughes-Benn...

OEL-Hughes-Edler is miles better than OEL-Hughes-Burroughs that we will be seeing tonight against the Penguins.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, khay said:

Well, I thought getting OEL would provide Green more option and hence automatic reduction of Edler's minutes. Green can't be that stupid to given OEL 15-17 minutes and Edler 23 minutes, can he?

Green overworked Edler since there was no one else. Last year, our defence was Edler-Hughes-Benn...

OEL-Hughes-Edler is miles better than OEL-Hughes-Burroughs that we will be seeing tonight against the Penguins.

I agree. But I think Eddy wanted out. 

• Cheers 2