The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Scott Mellanby generating buzz as potential Canucks GM candidate

Rate this topic

Drive-By Body Pierce

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

His contract goes to the end of the 2022-2023 season, but if he is terminated early he only recieves the salary for up to the end of the 2021-2022 season. This is the last 'garunteed' year of salary for JB.

Is that not the exact same as his last year being a team option? 

Got to ask why Montreal, the team that would know the most about his front office expertise, passed on him as that is a red flag.  He'd also be the 3rd first time GM hire in a row for this organization, I'd be OK with that as long as they hire an experienced President and can the AGM's along with Benning.

2 hours ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Is this finally the right fit?

Perhaps Mellanby’s brief experience in the Canucks organization gives him a leg up, as there would be at least some familiarity with team owner Francesco Aquilini.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/scott-mellanby-potential-canucks-gm-candidate

I'd like to have an experienced PHO in as well. But tbh we need a new vision for how the team is built so I'd be just fine with it. There aren't a lot of experienced GMs out there right now looking for work I'd want, maybe Lombardi? but he's with Phiilly at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

Canucks aren't firing Benning. I think they will instead bring in an experienced POHO

yeah They should keep a guy that’s failed to deliver every season. Stabbed his friend in the back the guy who was president and hired him but yeah bring another president. 
owners should get use to see fire Benning signs around town then. Makes them look even worst.
New presidents first move should be to fire the incompetent fool that put this team together . 

the failures start  at the top trickles down to the bottom. 
Time for  another presser for pathetic Jb excuses. 

Watching Donny and Dhali discuss a Gillis return. I thought it would make more sense to have Gilman return as poho and have a Mellenby as a GM. Gilman would handle contracts, planning. Mellenby look after pro personnel and an agm for amateur personnel.

26 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'd like to have an experienced PHO in as well. But tbh we need a new vision for how the team is built so I'd be just fine with it. There aren't a lot of experienced GMs out there right now looking for work I'd want, maybe Lombardi? but he's with Phiilly at the moment.

I don't really have an issue with how the teams been built so far, it's still just a rough draft and needs some polish.........a few key changes and they'll be ready to compete I think

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Zhukini said:

Benniings hanging on by a thread lol. 

Canadian NHL Gm jobs were meant to be temporary and lost. The fact that he's manufactured 8 years here is incredible.

To us fans he is. Apparently Benning and members of the Aquilini family are really close. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't really have an issue with how the teams been built so far, it's still just a rough draft and needs some polish.........a few key changes and they'll be ready to compete I think

to do that we need some spot-on pro scouting tho. Thats just not Jim. 

• Vintage 1