The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Scott Mellanby generating buzz as potential Canucks GM candidate

Rate this topic

Drive-By Body Pierce

I don't think Gillis/Gilman left on a good note with ownership so I don't think it'll happen. I've always liked the idea of Gilman playing some role within the organization if at least to make sure our salary cap is well managed but I think the Canucks are in need of something fresh. I feel bringing in some good, experienced hockey people is the best move. 

I couldn’t see Gillis and Gilman coming back unless we change owners, but they were a great team who took the franchise as close as it has ever gotten to the Cup.

One thing their their tenure proved was that you need someone from the Old Boys Club running your team.  It was shocking how much differently the franchise was treated by the league and other teams.  It was like we were being punished for not getting a retread front office and trying to bring new ideas.

Of course, lots of the out of the box stuff Gillis was doing then is now used leaguewide.

I want Larionov as President.  Super well respected in hockey and gives us a good voice at the table.

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

I couldn’t see Gillis and Gilman coming back unless we change owners, but they were a great team who took the franchise as close as it has ever gotten to the Cup.

One thing their their tenure proved was that you need someone from the Old Boys Club running your team.  It was shocking how much differently the franchise was treated by the league and other teams.  It was like we were being punished for not getting a retread front office and trying to bring new ideas.

Of course, lots of the out of the box stuff Gillis was doing then is now used leaguewide.

I want Larionov as President.  Super well respected in hockey and gives us a good voice at the table.

I could see Gilman coming back, if he was offered either GM or PoHO.

Gillis, I can’t see it. I’d be happy to have him back, as either President (hockey and business side) or PoHO, but I don’t see it working with the current ownership, and I doubt either side would be interested.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Would it work bringing him in and keeping JB?

Turf Green but I like the players Jim has brought. Was always a fan of Gillis. 

I guess it depends on how he views Jim.... its hard to say. But bringing Gillis back as PHO certainly allows that to happen and gives Aqua another voice. Depends if they're all over the Luongo debacle or not. 

• Cheers 1

I can't see it happening, but I feel like I'd be comfortable with a hierarchy somewhere in the neighbourhood of:

pres: mike gillis

gm: scott mellanby

agm: chris gear, ryan johnson

tbd: daniel and henrik sedin

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

Mike Gillis has one of the worst drafting records in NHL history.  

Mind you with all of the young talent Benning has assembled he wouldn’t need to worry too much about any future drafting for awhile. He would just need to do exactly what he did in 2008, which is add some pieces to an already existing core. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, tas said:

I can't see it happening, but I feel like I'd be comfortable with a hierarchy somewhere in the neighbourhood of:

pres: mike gillis

gm: scott mellanby

agm: chris gear, ryan johnson

tbd: daniel and henrik sedin

So basically recycle a former President and add a guy who’s never been a GM before and worked under Bergevin, who is probably the second worst drafter in NHL history after Gillis. 

1 hour ago, Beefcake said:

Ownership has to go in another direction in hiring a new GM. This time they need to go the route of finding a very experienced GM.

Depends.

I mean there’s lots of experienced GMs who are experienced at making bad moves.

It has to be the right fit too. I could live with hiring another rookie GM if they’re a progressive GM like Gillis was. 

If they’re just another right hand man like a Benning was then no thanks.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So basically recycle a former President and add a guy who’s never been a GM before and worked under Bergevin, who is probably the second worst drafter in NHL history after Gillis. 

that's why you have rj there, as well as the scouting staff that benning put in place (assuming they don't stay loyal to him and abandon ship), and whoever you hire/promote to take over some of rj's old roles. 

no one guy is going to be a saviour.

I think the biggest thing that makes sense is having more people on board so one person isn't making all sorts of decisions.  Good or bad, everyone can use some other input to consider.

I hope Gillis doesn't come back.  Gilman was considered excellent with salaries and getting reasonable contracts and I don't recall him being poor at that.  

Benning has done a very good job at drafting, so it would be too bad to lose that.  My guess is he wouldn't want to go backwards but staying within scouting would be good for us.

Honestly, upper management can be improved but a coach change and a trade earlier in the season likely would have given us the better chance of salvaging this season.  As it stands, unless a miracle season happens, I'm hoping for a home run at the draft.  This team is due for some good luck.

Don’t think Gillis would ever be back..

Pres— Gilman

GM— Mallenby

coach—? So many to pick from… Don’t want a rookie coach and  don’t want the old coach that is looking for another chance..

say coach with 2-3 years previous experience in NHL…