The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Scott Mellanby generating buzz as potential Canucks GM candidate

Rate this topic

Drive-By Body Pierce

3 hours ago, Rubik said:

exactly... i don't really understand people on CDC obsessing over experience. like it's a guarantee for anything... sometimes "inexperienced" guys work out, sometimes they don't. mike sullivan has coached the bruins for two seasons in the mid 00s, second one was a complete disaster, then with his next head coach gig 10 years later, he wins back-to-back stanley cups. ken hitchcock coached for 22 years in the NHL. he won his only cup in his third full season. david poile has been in the league for over 40 years, no cups.

you just have to have the right pieces, imo it doesn't really matter if those are "experienced" pieces or "inexperienced". you just need the right mix. but we obviously hasn't found it yet, se wee need some new blood, no denying that. we came the closest in 2011, but wasn't that also gillis' first stint as a GM, starting in 2008? i know that most of that core was already there, but still. my point is, experience is overrated.

There's something about the last 2 coaches that just has me in the mood for an NHL experienced coach this time. 

But for the GM job , i think Nonis, Gillis and Benning did alright. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Gillis and Benning did ok.

Personally, I think Gillis is the most overrated GM of all time. I like what Benning has done with most things, but if they are, in fact, going to fire Benning, it's time for experience to step in.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Benning didn't stab anyone in the back. Linden had other things going on and wasn't fully committed. He was just a familiar face to help get us through dark times. 

Benning was told to be competitive. We were ever going to rip it down with the Sedins here so you can't blame Benning for those first few years. Yes, you could argue he could have acquired more picks and stayed out of FA. However, over the past 4 seasons he has built us a solid team through the draft. They are much better than they are playing right now. 

Fire the coach, and his staff (except Shaw) and then bring in an experienced POHO. Evaluate from there. 

Bennings trades the last 3 seasons have been above average. 

That’s not how linden remembers things. 

I can and do 

the sedins weren’t the gm it was in his power he used it as an excuse ( like usual) to try to “ turn it around quickly. He failed just likes he’s failed to assemble a mediocre team. 

There is no logical excuse to keep him he would have been Fired ten times over o. Most nhl teams for the disastrous contracts hes signed. 

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I thought they spoke well of each other these days. 

I dunno, cant see it happening anyway.

But Mike Gillis has a great hockey mind. 

Has he worked since? I haven't really followed his career. I think he was hired by the PA maybe. 

Just now, AbbyNux said:

Has he worked since? I haven't really followed his career. I think he was hired by the PA maybe. 

He was teaching at Uvic for a while I think. 

I remember him saying he never intended to GM again but I think he did interview ....I haven't followed too close either.

how tf is he exactly an upgrade from Benning?

I see no stand-out qualities other than the fact that he was an AGM with Montreal (not that impressive at all) with Bergevin and he worked a couple years for the Canucks. 

Benning at least had his drafting pedigree and came from a Stanley cup contending organization at the time. 

What does Mellanby bring?

If this purely a move based on some familiarity with the guy then this ownership group needs to give their heads a shake. 

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

that's why you have rj there, as well as the scouting staff that benning put in place (assuming they don't stay loyal to him and abandon ship), and whoever you hire/promote to take over some of rj's old roles. 

no one guy is going to be a saviour.

If you're going to bring in guys who will just keep Benning's people in place then why not just keep Benning?  What exactly is Mellanby going to do any differently?  He's already worked with one of the worst drafting GM's in NHL history, does he even know how to evaluate talent, or is he just going to rely on Benning's guys?

At this point, IF we are going to clean house, I would expect Aquilini is going to open up his cheque book and hire experienced personnel who have already had success elsewhere, not a bunch of rookies or recycled previous employees.

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If you're going to bring in guys who will just keep Benning's people in place then why not just keep Benning?  What exactly is Mellanby going to do any differently?  He's already worked with one of the worst drafting GM's in NHL history, does he even know how to evaluate talent, or is he just going to rely on Benning's guys?

At this point, IF we are going to clean house, I would expect Aquilini is going to open up his cheque book and hire experienced personnel who have already had success elsewhere, not a bunch of rookies or recycled previous employees.

the team probably needs a change in leadership, not a gutting.

which successful, experienced personnel do you propose?

11 minutes ago, tas said:

the team probably needs a change in leadership, not a gutting.

which successful, experienced personnel do you propose?

I propose to change the coach.  I don't know of any experienced GM's that are available right now.  So instead of bringing in a rookie just for the sake of change I'd prefer to keep Benning for now.  At least he won a Cup as an AGM.

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I propose to change the coach.  I don't know of any experienced GM's that are available right now.  So instead of bringing in a rookie just for the sake of change I'd prefer to keep Benning for now.  At least he won a Cup as an AGM.

so you tie the hands of whatever gm you end up hiring, or do you commit to benning? who chooses the new coach, lame duck benning or the owners?

1 hour ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I think the way this organization and city kind of pushed out Gillis after leading this team to a cup final lead him to have sour feelings against the Canucks. 

I remember a buddy of mine taking a class with him at UVic and he had a lot of crap to say about the Canucks. LOL. Not a chance he's coming back.

Nobody ever hired Gillis again. End of story. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1