The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Scott Mellanby generating buzz as potential Canucks GM candidate

Rate this topic

Drive-By Body Pierce

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I wouldn't mind considering him for an AGM spot. 

Not many experienced guys out there but if we're going to have to have a AGM graduate I would rather it be from a solid organization like the Avs AGM than a AGM from a bottom team.

Also if we're going to have to have an AGM like that I would want a solid President.

Canucks love to dig around bottom teams for talent or managerial position and we wonder why they are a bottom team. 

10 hours ago, Bathgate said:

Watching Donny and Dhali discuss a Gillis return. I thought it would make more sense to have Gilman return as poho and have a Mellenby as a GM. Gilman would handle contracts, planning. Mellenby look after pro personnel and an agm for amateur personnel.

Gilman as POHO, Gillis as GM, Mellanby as Assistant GM and make Benning the head of scouting team. Can Green, Weisbrod, Baumgartner, King and bring in Bruce Boudreaux and Babcock as assistant coach. This would make sense but Aquaman would need to spend a lot of money on them. You wpuld have some people at top and in coaching with great hockey mind. That is if Aquaman want to have a contender. If he wants to just maybe make playoffs once every 8 years, he can hire another bum or a puppet.

34 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Gilman as POHO, Gillis as GM, Mellanby as Assistant GM and make Benning the head of scouting team. Can Green, Weisbrod, Baumgartner, King and bring in Bruce Boudreaux and Babcock as assistant coach. This would make sense but Aquaman would need to spend a lot of money on them. You wpuld have some people at top and in coaching with great hockey mind. That is if Aquaman want to have a contender. If he wants to just maybe make playoffs once every 8 years, he can hire another bum or a puppet.

None of what you’re suggesting is going to happen. Sorry. 

Would take too much money, and the Aquilini’s are known to have cut back on the management side of things on the team. When it comes to the roster, they seem to spend to the cap. But when it comes to the management team, they’re cheap as hell. Doesn’t make much sense to me. Why not have a great team on both sides (managerial and on ice). Hire smart hockey people, and you most likely have an organization in the top five. I bet you that the Seattle Kraken in a few years are going to be a top team in the league. They’re hiring very smart people on their management side of things, as opposed to the Canucks being cheap on that. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Can we please hire experience this time around with coaches and GM? Gillis, Benning, Green, etc., are not going to get it done. We need experience. Full stop.

Nobody reputable is going to want to work here if this speculation about Aquilini wanting to keep Green is true.

I keep trying to remind myself to not get hyped about the buzz of Benning getting the axe when we still have to deal with very problematic ownership.

Edited by Josepho
  • Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Me_ said:

No to Mellanby. Come on now… are we looking to get to a Cup or are we looking to add GM to an ex-player’s resume?

Mellanby has been around a lot of management teams. I'm not against him.

Which GM hasn't been an X player though ? Same goes for coaches. They are all x players.

Ideally I'd like to go with a non x player for GM. Players making big paychecks their whole life at a young age , probably aren't ideal asset managers. 

Latest rumor is that Daniel Brieir is in the running for GM of the Habs. That's dumb. 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

14 hours ago, wildcam said:

Don’t think Gillis would ever be back..

Pres— Gilman

GM— Mallenby

coach—? So many to pick from… Don’t want a rookie coach and  don’t want the old coach that is looking for another chance..

say coach with 2-3 years previous experience in NHL…

I hear Green is available.

18 hours ago, Rubik said:

exactly... i don't really understand people on CDC obsessing over experience. like it's a guarantee for anything... sometimes "inexperienced" guys work out, sometimes they don't. mike sullivan has coached the bruins for two seasons in the mid 00s, second one was a complete disaster, then with his next head coach gig 10 years later, he wins back-to-back stanley cups. ken hitchcock coached for 22 years in the NHL. he won his only cup in his third full season. david poile has been in the league for over 40 years, no cups.

you just have to have the right pieces, imo it doesn't really matter if those are "experienced" pieces or "inexperienced". you just need the right mix. but we obviously hasn't found it yet, se wee need some new blood, no denying that. we came the closest in 2011, but wasn't that also gillis' first stint as a GM, starting in 2008? i know that most of that core was already there, but still. my point is, experience is overrated.

If you don't understand why people at CDC prefer experience then you haven't read a single thread on this site. 

The last 3 GMs for this team have been first timers.  The last few coaches have been first timers. Neither group has done very well.  Is it at all possible that perhaps the missing ingredient is experience?  I'd rather take a chance to find out than to see another noob take the reigns and have this horse running in the wrong direction again. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

What was the intention of bringing in the sedins as special advisors to the gm? Aren't they being groomed?

If I'm a gm thinking about that job I'm asking that question. 

Eventually the sedins will be taking over this team. Could be as early as next year. 

that seems early to me, but they might be ready that soon. I'd prefer they co-manage Abby first.

If they are going to do things right then they should hire a president. 

Then get out of the way and let the president hire who HE wants.

Mellanby has been in management for over 10 years.

Even Gillis would be OK for a "presidents" job. 

• Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Gillis has experience now though, also Gillis to us to cup finals. 

Gillis inherited the core. He also had the worst drafting in Canucks (NHL?) history. He brought in a couple of good pieces, but he also made some atrocious trades and signings. He hasn't worked as a GM since. He is so romanticized in Nucks nation and given way too much credit for what he actually did for us. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Josepho said:

Nobody reputable is going to want to work here if this speculation about Aquilini wanting to keep Green is true.

I keep trying to remind myself to not get hyped about the buzz of Benning getting the axe when we still have to deal with very problematic ownership.

Agreed. Green et al should be the first to go, imo, as the coaching is the most glaring issue. See how they perform with a new coach for the rest of the year, and if they still perform as poorly, fire Benning and then let the new GM retool and put his stamp on things. FA wanting to keep Green shows he has no idea what he's doing as an owner, as it shows he doesn't know poor coaching when he sees it. This is a glaring red flag, and one of many. 

I find this obsession with bringing in a GM and coach with loads of experience pretty funny. Just sat at a game with a bunch of Sens fans all bemoaning the fact that they kept bringing in old men with stale ideas and what they really needed was someone with a new approach. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VforVasili said:

I find this obsession with bringing in a GM and coach with loads of experience pretty funny. Just sat at a game with a bunch of Sens fans all bemoaning the fact that they kept bringing in old men with stale ideas and what they really needed was someone with a new approach. 

You can understand the appetite in this market seeing Willie Desjardins and now Travis Green as head coaches with less than stellar reviews and results, couple that with bringing in Jim Benning and Trevor Linden as first timers as President and GM and you can see why there is a reluctance to hear of new names coming to replace management / coaching.

That being said, I think the players on the team could really benefit from an experienced coach at this point, not simply a games coached number but the few main names being tossed around bring a winning pedigree at the NHL level, a winning culture if you will. I still think Lindy Ruff would be a great fit for this team, Boudreau would also fit the on ice personnel.

Bringing in a President would have been ideal and as much as I am a fan of the club no matter who is running things, I really find it harder each passing day to accept the numerous missed and continued missed opportunities in asset management.

I am all for a Mellanby hire, a new coach of his discretion absolutely, then again I would not be disappointed to see more experienced people come in either. But either way having TG and JB in the eyes of the fans and media at this point as lame duck is very disappointing on a human level to see from this organization.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VforVasili said:

Who did the Sens keep bringing in?

They had Bryan Murray 9 years (5 playoff appearances) and then Pierre Dorian for the last 5 years (1 Eastern conference final)

I would say things have worked pretty well with those two considering their ownership. Not exactly a great example.

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, VforVasili said:

Every team is different, and certain ones warrant different approaches.

This team desperately needs accountability and organizational structure. Lamoriello in NYI is probably the best guy in the league for this sort of thing and (with full autonomy) a guy like that would be absolutely perfect for all of the chaos this team has been through.

I find it funny that a lot of the people who complained ad nauseam about Benning are now shifting their ire to ownership on the eve of his dismissal. 

Do they enjoy the whinging? Or is it just fear of being let down if they get their hopes up?  Is it an intentional shift - is there a level of self awareness here - or is it a subconscious survival instinct to preserve the negative narrative?  

It’s really fascinating - since you’d have to assume they know there’s no ousting a literal billionaire who owns the team.  The shift in narrative sets them up for a lifetime of complaining. 

I think a lot of fans vicariously pretend they’re part of ownership for the team and play with the idea of firing / hiring people who align with their views on the team. Often enough, you’ll at least get to see the people you don’t agree with fired… that’s pro sports. But “we need to get rid of ownership” ?  We are nowhere near that ever happening.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

If they’re hiring Mellanby sadly I think that means they went down their list and got a lot of “no’s”.

Mellanby is just looking for a GM job anywhere at this point. His familiarity with the organization and the fact they gave him an opportunity is the reason he comes here.

He would not even be top 10 on my list of potential GMs.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

If they’re hiring Mellanby sadly I think that means they went down their list and got a lot of “no’s”.

Mellanby is just looking for a GM job anywhere at this point. His familiarity with the organization and the fact they gave him an opportunity is the reason he comes here.

He would not even be top 10 on my list of potential GMs.

I don't think to be honest you would be hearing a lot of "no's" from potential candidates for a GM and/or coaching position if we are generalizing that known top 10 or so names of people available. As the perception by the fan base is as has been mentioned already shifting to suggesting ownership is a bigger and bigger problem here I personally think that is crap and most potential candidates would be at the least exploring the option of coming to Vancouver.