The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah but it's way better than last year (on paper) and it's performing way worse. A group of 4 top 6 D with 2 Top 4 D shouldn't have the worst PK in the history of the game through 25 games. Especially when that same D core with like 3 AHLers last season at least didn't embarass themselves.

They all look like analytics signings this year. Looks like the analytics geeks were given a shot

1 minute ago, KyGuy123 said:

Look for an immediate push from players and results. I’m sure after Tanev, Markstrom, Toffoli, Edler the team is happy beyond belief. The Covid situation and free agency destroyed team moral. 

The owners were involved in those losses. Covid played a role.

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

I don’t think it is better than last year on paper. I would also like to add on paper is useless.

You really think a D core with Brisebois, Schmidt, Rafferty, Jordie Benn is better? And on paper does mean something. Cause if you have any sort of intelligence it tells you something isn't working right when a better blueline is much worse than the crap blueline we had before. But hey, old school "everything only matters when I see it" is fine too.

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Not talking money, talking players in return.

Attack Biting GIF

If you only look at the roster players exchanged, it was obviously highway robbery.

But stripping it down to that means nothing, because the cap implications are very real (not to mention the draft picks).

FWIW, I've been very pleased with the performance from both Garland and OEL so far.

Edited by kanucks25

Well what a relief. It was bound to happen at some point. Poor play by the team meant change was in the making. Benning is definitely a great drafter but when it comes to dealing with contracts and such, he’s not the ideal GM to have. We need a experienced GM who can make good decisions and can build a winning team. Bergevin hiring incoming?

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

The owners were involved in those losses. Covid played a role.

This is just chicken scratch! Zero proof and I’m sure if they were they told him to fix the wrong that Benning had already created. I bet they stepped in after year 6 or 7 

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Probably never gonna happen in Vancouver, but I’d be going hard after Eric Tulsky (Carolina AGM and analytics wizard) if I was hiring a new GM.

And then I’d try to put a more traditional “hockey man” with name recognition in as PoHO.

Jeff Gorton was my pick for Canucks PoHO, but he’s already gone (Montreal).

Still mulling over some other options.

But Tulsky is my guy. I expect to be disappointed though. :lol:

What is the scoop on him? Has he been in Carolina for long and known to be the guy tied to some of their good draft picks?