The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, gregthehockeynut said:

JB did well filling some of the top roster spots the last 3 years but his rebuild of the bottom half this offseason

has been a disaster. The teams scoring woes could have been buffered by a top notch pk.

Agree.

An 80% PK could have gotten us 3-5 more wins.

He only has himself to blame though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Jim is not a politician I feel like he did a lot of good considering the situation he had when he came  in and the mandate he was under. If they do rebuild the Canucks are in a far better position now than at any other point of JBs tenure.

Edited by hammertime
  • Vintage 1

Well, at least the tire fire looks like it has some kind of date where it'll be out.  The firing of JB and TG should have happened after the Anaheim game on that road  trip with the massive losses to Colorado and Las Vegas.  The 5-1 loss to Anaheim was all you needed to know afterwards.  You could have surgically cut out the rot right there, as it is obviously two things wrong with the team.  1, is that we have no identity, we are a collection of parts, but nothing cohesive in the way we play or what we're trying to do on the ice.  2, we are lost in a system that our players aren't meant to play, obviously.  Watching them collapse to the slot, and then let every player and pass go thru the protect the slot system, is just f&cking painful to watch, day in, day out.  The fact you can't pk, with a group of players that ideally could read the play better on their own, then the system they're playing allows them to systematically, is beyond tragedy.  There is absolutely no way we can get worse than we are already, which is damn near historically bad.  I wish the best to JB and TG for their accomplishments while here that were positive, but they have to own the negative too, and hopefully there is some learning here before either gets a sniff at the league again.

This is deja vu with Gillis hiring Torts as a last gasp for the existing core , and Bennings doing his hail mary trade with Phoenix.

Both under Aqua pressure to make the team competitive now.

Main difference is the current team is in or entering their prime so there's a good chance the new kids can right this ship. We have the horses I believe, just need to shore up the D depth.

A Miller trade for a true top 4 D man would make sense. Hate to see him go but he's our most valuable asset right now

He removed our good scouts to help his legacy

I hope the new guy hires great scouts and people remember the GM is NOT the scout, he relies on his staff

All the top GM's say the draft is the scouts show and to show off their work

People wanted to keep JB on only because they thought he was scouting here

I hope our next GM does not get the same luxury as Benning and have so many Top 6 picks so we can compare apples to apples

We haven't been a gritty team for sometime and playoff teams need that to succeed

Can't have too many dancers, they are prima donnas

Show up at the next skate with work boots on guys and lets get to work, The country club is for the summer

Edited by ba;;isticsports

Just now, nuck-lifer said:

This is deja vu with Gillis hiring Torts as a last gasp for the existing core , and Bennings doing his hail mary trade with Phoenix.

Both under Aqua pressure to make the team competitive now.

Main difference is the current team is in or entering their prime so there's a good chance the new kids can right this ship. We have the horses I believe, just need to shore up the D depth.

A Miller trade for a true top 4 D man would make sense. Hate to see him go but he's our most valuable asset right now

main difference is benning is no longer employed by the team. 

11 minutes ago, Drink Walrus Milk said:

Nice! I haven’t had that one. Let us know how it is! My wife is Japanese, so I always stock up on whiskey when I go there as it’s much cheaper. I even went on a tour of the Yamazaki distillery.

Currently working on a bottle of Yoichi.

73821456-463F-42FE-9763-BB3347AA0E7B.jpeg

Nice, I'll try to remember!

It's my first Japanese whiskey so I'm looking forward to it, I've been meaning to dabble for a while 

And that's definitely the way to do it 

57 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

To be totally honest, I didn't hate everything he did. There was even a point a few years ago where I considered myself a supporter, but years of cap mismanagement, expensive bandaid fixes and not building a proper defence caught up with him. 

My biggest problem with him was that he let players walk when were not a playoff team and traded picks for rentals.

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, gregthehockeynut said:

JB did well filling some of the top roster spots the last 3 years but his rebuild of the bottom half this offseason

has been a disaster. The teams scoring woes could have been buffered by a top notch pk.

Yes. I am a full JB supporter. 

His biggest mistakes were 

OJ

LE

and this years off season signings 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I have a bottle of Matsui white oak and it's so damned tasty, that bottle you have is a real fine tasting whiskey indeed.

Try their gin as well

The gin is spectacular, I grabbed three bottles at the release 

I'll have to try some of the other Matsui stuff at some point

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

fault?   that clown fumbled with everything he touched.   right from sending Beiksa  to San Jose before there was a SIG on the paper.     a trail a mile long of blunders.   

I’m hoping this was the team making a stand and sinking the ship to fast track the change.   b

I welcome anybody at this point because they can’t be as bad as Benning that’s fir sure.   

worst PK in the history of the NHL he takes with him lol.    and a handful of canucks lowly records that will not be supplanted probably for many many years 

Whoa, those are certainly some words and sentences there. But anyway, there isn't anything about my comment that is incorrect. You have a good night.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nice, I'll try to remember!

It's my first Japanese whiskey so I'm looking forward to it, I've been meaning to dabble for a while 

And that's definitely the way to do it 

Also check out Hakushu if you can find it. 

This was my tasting line up at the distillery. That bottle of Yamazaki 25 is $20k!

04DE8CDB-D1A4-44B7-AAC9-AE2FEBAE1355.jpeg

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1